Best opening 4-song Quartet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Best: Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Ultraviolet, With or Without You, Moment of Surrender.

...wait a minute.

<:lol:>

2) zoo station, the fly, even better, mysterious ways

all from the new album at the time...such a real statement of faith in the new songs. :up:

That's how strong that album was, my friend. :up:

...and such faith shown again in 2009 with opening quartet, with much-different fan opinion.

Well, it's not my favorite album by these guys, but they did open with probably the strongest songs on that album, and I did enjoy them live (even Boots sounded better, especially with the with the Ode to Joy intro factored in).

They definitely went for the same feel as Zoo TV on 360 Legs 1 and 2.

Open with 4 songs from the current, change in direction(degree is debatable, we wont get into that) album amidst a massive stadium spectacle that has never been done before.

I think they missed 2 obvious things. Every word is my opinion!

1.)NLOTH was almost as good as AB but was clearly not nearly as well known by the general public and casuals in a stadium.

2.)Breathe-NLOTH-Boots-Magnificent are all very strong songs- Boots being a little bit below the others. However, Boots is the only one that even comes close to fitting the top of a set list as well as any of the Zoo-Fly-Real Thing-Mysterious quartet.

I think with Legs 1&2, it took a good amount of the crowd until BD or Mysterious Ways to even know one song that was played. For a band that feeds off the energy of the crowd, this serves to kill momentum buildup and knock down the vibe all night. I am convinced this was a big part of why so many long time U2 fans saw something missing with 360 2009 that they couldn't quite put their fingers on.

I also think the band knew this and that is why you saw the Stingray intro going immediately into Beautiful Day, I Will Follow and then once the audience is into it, pull out the new stuff.

I hope they keep this approach going forward. No sense forcing something that doesn't work to the top of the set list just because its from the latest release. I Will Follow in the 2 slot ripped the balconies off stadiums this past summer!! I'll take that.

Back
Top Bottom