Best Live/Studio Edge Guitar Solos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigjohn2441

Refugee
By "guitar solo" I mean an acutal break in the song where scales are played rather than a couple notes repeated ( like miracle drug, love is blindness, kite from vertigo tour, etc) , and also longer than, say 15 seconds. Also any solo where he plays reallly fast is included.

1. Another Time, Another Place - Eamon Andrews Studios 1979
2. Street Mission - From 1978 Clip on utube
3. Knockin on Heaven's Door - Sydney 1989
4. One Tree Hill - 12/26/89
5. God Part II - Several dates during Lovetown Edge really plays fast
6. The Fool
7. Desire w/ rock and roll star snippet - various lovetown dates
8. Bullet the Blue Sky - zootv, popmart, elevation, & vertigo tours

miss any? thoughts?

live 11 O'clock.

I know the 11 O'Clock at the Irving Plaza show was generally subpar when compared to the 80's versions, however for some reason edge's solo at the end of that version and the impassioned "call out" 's really work for me. They just seem more haunting, or maybe because them playing 11 O'Clock at that show really signified to me that they would once again actually tap into the brilliance of the early catalogue. Now, if only ASOH and TUF could be resurrected...

Also, I'm not the biggest on technical guitar terminology, but does Acrobat fit into this category?

by fast, do you mean like the frenzied electric co. solo during vertigo tour?

no, i mean like so many notes per second. for example, i slowed down recordings of god part II and "clocked" edge at around 8 notes per second, which is pretty fast, for the edge at least. picking the same note real fast doesnt count, im talking about playing scales that fast, or "shredding" like he did on the rock and roll star snippet during lovetown desire.

yeah, i'm a guitar geek

live 11 O'clock.

I know the 11 O'Clock at the Irving Plaza show was generally subpar when compared to the 80's versions, however for some reason edge's solo at the end of that version and the impassioned "call out" 's really work for me. They just seem more haunting, or maybe because them playing 11 O'Clock at that show really signified to me that they would once again actually tap into the brilliance of the early catalogue. Now, if only ASOH and TUF could be resurrected...

Also, I'm not the biggest on technical guitar terminology, but does Acrobat fit into this category?

i forgot about that Irving Plaza version. Yeah, that's a good Edge solo, though I prefer the earlier versions also.

As for acrobat, i think that's one of his many single string solos, that is one that you can play all on one string. i dont count those solos in my list.

The Fly studio version. Never been equalled by The Edge, sounding like hendrix and has to be The Edges finest solo he ever recorded.

Electric Co. live from the Chicago DVD has some nice guitar work. Definitely Fly studio version and 11 O'Clock live are great.

I actually like the simple Miracle Drug "solo," even though at first I thought it could have been much better.

Definitely "The Fly". That is not only the Edge's best solo, it's the best solo I've ever heard (in terms of 'pounds per square inch'. What is it -- 32 bars at most? But every second is pure genius... Damn, I love it).

I love replaying the Fly solo over and over in my head, Edges best both studio and live. :rockon: :drool:

So much too choose from solo-wise.
But here`s my top 5

01 - The Fly ( studio , live )
02 - All Along The Watchtower ( lovetown version )
03 - Love Is Blindness ( live , each night Edge plays the last part of the solo different )
04 - 11 O Clock Tick Tock ( live )
05 - God Part II ( live )

Cheers ,

Mauwer

The live Bullet The Blue Sky solo is much more fierce and brutal than The Fly solo. :rockon:

Although both chill my spine. :hyper:

I hope in the new album we'll see these sort of songs, NLOTH could be like Fly or Bullet. :drool:

^ yeah, isn't moment of surrender supposed to be like 8 minutes or something? hopefully that means an extended guitar solo(s) somewhere in there! :hyper:

^ yeah, isn't moment of surrender supposed to be like 8 minutes or something? hopefully that means an extended guitar solo(s) somewhere in there! :hyper:

I suppose there would be, maybe a 1-2 minute solo. :up:
If there wasn't really a solo in an 8 minute song then it would be quite boring i'm afraid.

I suppose there would be, maybe a 1-2 minute solo. :up:
If there wasn't really a solo in an 8 minute song then it would be quite boring i'm afraid.

yes it would, and also hopefully it won't be like bad where he plays the same 4 notes over and over again for a minute or two, since that song is around 8 minutes live.

yes it would, and also hopefully it won't be like bad where he plays the same 4 notes over and over again for a minute or two, since that song is around 8 minutes live.

Indeed, although I have a gut feeling that there will be a good number of solos on the new album, creative too. :wink:

I don't think that anyone has mentioned the UTEOTW solo. It would place 3rd on my list. :wink: :up:

The Fly- Elevation Tour- those extra sustains are orgasmic
The Electric Co- Vertigo Tour- just wow
Kite- Vertigo Tour- probably his most emotionally powerful solo
Dirty Day- Zoo TV- Just ends on an all out rocker
Last Night On Earth- Popmart- coupled with Larrys drumming...wow
All I Want Is You- studio- with the violins, the orchestra, its powerful
Desire- Lovetown- he summons Slash's fingers on this one
Love Is Blindness- Zoo TV- LOVE the extended solo!!!
Elevation- any- I love to see Edge shred every now and then
Mysterious Ways- Elevation, Zoo TV- Its fun and its funky

Back
Top Bottom