Best Bono vocal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Lemonseed

The Fly
I'd like to hear your thoughts on the best vocal track Bono has ever laid down. There are some consideration: emotional nuance, melodic intricacy, varying technique, range, catchiness, tone quality...

For example, there are tracks where tone quality is great but the melody is very basic.

Please give the reason you think it's the best. A couple that came to mind for me:

Stay
Stuck in a Moment

The reasons are that it fulfills all of those categories I mentioned above. I especially like the varying technique in Stay.

M'y second is WOWY. His voice is powerful and very very sexy i would say, although i'm not gay... It reminds me Jim Morrison voice.

Angel of Harlem, the way he soars along with the music.

Agreed. Angel of Harlem is very under-rated as a vocal performance. Not just any singer can do that.

But I'd have to include All I Want is You and With or Without You. Stunning vocals.

While I'm sure we all can agree the sheer power of the 1980s material is unparalleled, I recently have been applying a more nuanced critique, such as expression and melodic strength (including verses). Some of his good choruses have really simple and unremarkable verse lines.

Another idea:
If You Wear That Velvet Dress

I agree with Angel of Harlem... as least as far as the verse melody, those are more complicated than most.

This is five great ones:
4:44 to 5:18
Bonos high notes, vocal highlights from 360 tour era - YouTube

So much emotion and energy in those verses :)
I cant forgive U2.com for not including that version on U22 :(

U2News - Miss Sarajevo - Bono & Edge - A Decade of Difference Concert - YouTube
Bonos face on the high notes says it all :)

All those flasettos:
Bonos voice(U2) High falsetto notes - YouTube

Im not a fan of Bonos singing style on LT tour, but when he used his voice in the right way like in this version...
Best ever One Tree Hill - U2, Dublin Point Depot - YouTube

The R&H version isnt to impressive in vocals, I choose this one:
U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday (1986) - YouTube

Im not a fan of Bonos singing style on LT tour, but when he used his voice in the right way like in this version...
Best ever One Tree Hill - U2, Dublin Point Depot - YouTube

This is a famous version - noted for both Edge's and Bono's performances.

But I never quite figured out all of what Bono says during the big guitar part (after "when it's raining, raining hard" part, but before "oh sweet ocean" end). Anyone with great ears want to help me?

I hear "bittersweet love" and what sounds like "hold somebody" being repeated, but I'd happily love to see what others hear.

As for the topic of this thread, my favorite STUDIO only Bono moments are:
Pride
WOWY
One Tree Hill
Exit
Angel of Harlem
Hawkmoon
One
The Fly
Wild Horses...
Stay
First Time
Kite
In a Little While
Beautiful Day
Sometimes...
MOS
NLOTH
Breathe

I selected these due to their range, passion, hoarse-voice pleading, or power.

January 10th 1990. The final Lovetown show. His voice is just so 'on' that night. At the start of Edge's solo in Bad he belts out 'All I Want Is You' a few times. So powerful.

Back
Top Bottom