Best album opener and closer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Open: Where the Streets Have No Name or Zoo Station

Closer: MLK or 40

Opener: Where the Streets Have No Name / Zooropa (tie)
Closer: Love is Blindness / Wake Up Dead Man (tie)

Opener - Where The Streets Have No Name (followed by tie between A Sort Of Homecoming & Zoo Station)

Closer - Love Is Blindness

Man, they sure knew how to make good openers/closers back in the day. NLOTH comes close as the opener, but A Sort of Homecoming, Streets, Zoo Station and Zooropa are all better openers IMO. If I were to choose one, it'd be Zoo Station.

As the closer it's even harder. 40, MLK, Mothers of the Disappeared, All I Want Is You, Love is Blindness and Cedars of Lebanon are my favorites. Mothers of the Disappeared feels a bit more special for me, though. So haunting, so beautiful and so extremely well-made. The song's last two minutes is definitely one of the best song endings they've ever made. :drool:

I can beat that, actually.

Zooropa
Wake Up Dead Man

Oh yeah, nice choice.

It's actually really hard as they have so many great openeing/closing songs. SBS is an incredible way to start an album, as is ASOH and Zoo St, but for me it's a neck and neck finish between Streets and Zooropa.
Closing songs is even harder. SATT has always been a favourite of mine, ditto MLK, AIWIY, The Wanderer and Mothers. But I think I will go with Wake Up Dead Man.

Opener: Streets
I always thought that the rest of the song doesn't really live up to its beginning, but man what a beginning, what a way to start the album. It just makes me feel that music is God.

Closer: Wake Up Dead Man

"Zoo Station" has my vote for fav opener.Because i think we have to take in the equation the opening lyrics as well and the "I'm ready...ready for the laughing gas,i'm ready...i'm ready for whats next" is the best opening lines of any of their albums.It set the tones for "Achtung Baby" and U2 reincarnation.

As for the closer,even though i feel the ending of the track is dragging a little to long,"All i want is you" still have my vote.But "Love is blindness" is a very close second.

Oh yeah, nice choice.

It's actually really hard as they have so many great openeing/closing songs. SBS is an incredible way to start an album, as is ASOH and Zoo St, but for me it's a neck and neck finish between Streets and Zooropa.
Closing songs is even harder. SATT has always been a favourite of mine, ditto MLK, AIWIY, The Wanderer and Mothers. But I think I will go with Wake Up Dead Man.

Crap, I forgot Love is Blindness, that is a definite tie with WUDM for me.

for me its

Opener - I Will Follow

Closer - Wake Up Dead Man

why? well to me its...

IWF because of its catchy guitar kick at beginning that just suddenly opens into an interesting bouncy song that most likey made people check out the band more.

WUDM because its so eerie and dark, and just finishes with this wonderful emptiness that makes me feel U2 are wrapped up in a blanket and I just missed the train.

DONT FUKING ASK!!!!!!! :D

opener: A Sort Of Homecoming (just ahead of Streets)
closer: All I Want Is You (just ahead of The Wanderer)

Sunday Bloody Sunday and 40 because the album begins and ends with the question 'how long to sing this song?'

for me its

Opener - I Will Follow

Closer - Wake Up Dead Man

why? well to me its...

IWF because of its catchy guitar kick at beginning that just suddenly opens into an interesting bouncy song that most likey made people check out the band more.

WUDM because its so eerie and dark, and just finishes with this wonderful emptiness that makes me feel U2 are wrapped up in a blanket and I just missed the train.

DONT FUKING ASK!!!!!!! :D

I'm gonna have to ask.

Opener: Zooropa

Closer: If You Wear That Velvet Dress - This song gets no attention. It's not the best,but it has this eerie feel to it that would end an album perfectly.

Reading through this thread, I want my fan card laminated. Remembering things is hard, and I overcame.

Back
Top Bottom