Best album of 1991 poll (Achtung Baby getting its butt kicked)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I say please, will you vote for it multiple times (which you can do)? And thank you.

1991 was a good year for music. So was 1993, and 1994.

Since then, it's all been downhill. Mind you, it's all been downhill in general since about 1971.

Since then, it's all been downhill. Mind you, it's all been downhill in general since about 1971.

1991 was a great year for music, albums not mentioned include Spiderland-Slint,Blue Lines-Massive Attack, Trompe Le Monde-The Pixies, Bandwagonesque-Teenage Fanclub amongst others, and yet still Achtung was better than all of them.

Slint's Spiderland is mentioned by Ben Gibbard of Death Cab For Cutie in one of the interviews on that poll page. Good album.

Smashing Pumpkins' Gish was also released in '91. I'm not the biggest Pumpkins fan, I like their early stuff alright, but that deserves a mention due to its influence and being the debut by what became a major alternative band.

Also, a handful of classic hip hop albums were released in '91.

Achtung Baby, easily for mine.

/inb4you'reau2fanyoudon'tactuallylistentoothermusic

A new musical mouvement seems to begin with a new decade! For me Nevermind is THE album of 1991. Grunge was born for me masses.

1961 Rock and Roll
1971 Motown
1981 Rap
1991 Techno/Dance
2001 NewRock
2011 ??

Say wha??

You're like 10 years off on most of these dates.

1981 did not belong to rap. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

1991 belongs to Achtung Baby in terms of rock album releases (ETA: I stand corrected! REM!), but the early 90s were dominated on the airwaves by rnb/hip hop/soul and dance. MotownPhilly, New Jack Swing, Euro and mainstream versions of the same, etc. And by what has sadly disappeared as a genre almost: contemporary soul slow jams. God I miss a good slow jam. Radio never plays them anymore!

From what I remember U2's early 90s chart presence wasn't really until 1992 with One and Mysterious Ways.

Is this the kind of poll where any one person can submit 300+ votes for their favorite band? If so, not so much a poll, more of a mouse click competition...
Anyways, out of that list Use Your Illusion is the only album I find very overrated. Granted the covers are stellar, but out of 30 odd tracks only 3 - Civil War, Estranged and November Rain - are truly outstanding.

for me originality in music stopped with Radiohead's 2000 Kid A. What's really innovating in Pop music these days? MGMT maybe? What is the new sound? it's off topic but i wonder that.

1. Loveless
2. Achtung Baby
3. Ten
4. The rest

Laughing Stock by Talk Talk, The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest, and Bandwagonesque by Teenage Fanclub were all overlooked.

Back
Top Bottom