Before U2 calls it quits I wish they would.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Spider-Man soundtrack might be what you're looking for.

Did you read the RS interview? Bono said it was their most "straightforward" album and called it their "Tommy." Sounds sort of like what you're looking for.

If Larry's in maybe they'll release it as a U2 album... I just really hope they don't write the songs and then release only the Broadway soundtrack. Studio version of Bono singing/Edge playing, please...:up:

As for me I want OS2... so I guess I'm the opposite end of the spectrum.

Desire rocks though. :hmm:

My brain is buzzing with ideas for a U2 theme park.....with people dressed up as Mirrorball Man, Mrs Brown, The Refugee and Pete The Chop dressed in suits running around for you to have your taken with...

With rides like the descent into hell for a bottle of milk and the Promenade with a spiral staircase.

...And get stuck in the spaceship lemon. (No refunds) :D

Take a ride on the Claw and go to the Popmart for souvenirs and go to watch the Zoo on TV, go and hug Macphisto and pretend to be a rockstar like The Fly.

songs with 3-5 chords, some good guitar riffs, maybe a good solo in the middle, good lyrics, nothing goofy or silly like "yeah yeah yeah yeah" "oooooooh ooh ooh" "heart soul kneel heart soul kneel etc etc" , pounding drums, throbbing bass..... :drool:

That sounds like something any band could do.

If U2 is ever going to make a heavier rock record, a more realistic possibility is a record that recalls and pays homage to U2's influences. It could feature the kind of piercing, interlaced guitar lines you would hear on a Television track, and heavier, Joy Division-esque atmospherics and intensity. It wouldn't RAWK, and there wouldn't be much in the way of sex, drugs, and rock n' roll, but it could actually happen.

I like this.

I love U2's rockers, including Vertigo and Boots (ABOY is decent). So I'm not opposed to U2 rocking out. But like others have said, I don't know if they could honestly pull off an album of nothing but rockers, and I don't know if I'd really want them to. A lot of their best songs aren't rockers, and though U2 has some excellent rockers I wouldn't call it their strength. There's plenty of other bands to listen to if you want that kind of music. It's the same thing with people who want U2 to be more like Radiohead ... Radiohead already exists, why do we need another Radiohead with U2 :shrug: I like U2 because they sound like U2.

I actually think one day they will do their full on rock album with songs sounding like Desire, The Electric Co., Elevation, The Fly and so on. War is the closest they ever got and it's pretty great. I think they can pull it off again in the future something even better. I can imagine them releasing that album in their 50's. Or maybe I'm just too hopeful.

i want u2 to explore thier roots. As in IRISH. traditional. music. like October the common ground remix. and as far as rocking out, how u2 try a little dropkick Murphys style. not as heavy , but maybe some Who sounding stuff mixed with a celtic punk/rock/black 47/seanchai for good measure. I mean bring additional musicians to play irish instruments . Even some female backing vocals and possibly a lead. I'm completely serious. It would make sense. They have done all this stuff in thier career. And never have really addressed being irish as far as musical direction.

i want u2 to explore thier roots. As in IRISH. traditional. music. like October the common ground remix. and as far as rocking out, how u2 try a little dropkick Murphys style. not as heavy , but maybe some Who sounding stuff mixed with a celtic punk/rock/black 47/seanchai for good measure. I mean bring additional musicians to play irish instruments . Even some female backing vocals and possibly a lead. I'm completely serious. It would make sense. They have done all this stuff in thier career. And never have really addressed being irish as far as musical direction.

When I saw In A Lifetime I in a record shop a few years ago I bought it only because of Bono, but to be honest I was fully expecting to hate it. When I played it, I loved that song. I also loved the B-side probably even more. I had exactly the same thing with October. It was the last U2 album i Purchased and I'd thought I would hate it only to find out that I prefer it to Boy. The moral of the story? Don't write off the song before you even listen to it, you must have an open mind. I think it's mainly that Enya song called Oronoco Flow that put me off the idea of Celtic music. It's still the best song written that's about sailing. In an interview they asked her what are people doing whilst they're listening to your music? Falling asleep possibly? She reminds me of my Biology teacher.

I think that's a great idea you had about bringing in session musicians to play different unusual instruments. What about the ocarina, that little wristle with a big sound that I prefer to the flute? Has anyone ever had the ocarina in popular recorded music? I love the ocarina, I've got 3 of them, one of which I'm wearing around my neck now.

They should: Do a tour with long shows, ala Springsteen. Give people mega value for money. 2.5 hours minimum, extending over the 3 hour mark on ocasions. They have plenty of material.

Some thoughts on this thread...

1. U2 is a rock band, plain and simple. Maybe you're looking for U2 to be a "hard (heavy) rock" band which they're not and never will be, and I'll listen to AC/DC when I'm in the mood for "cock" rock. Pink Floyd was not in any way a "hard rock " band, but they were most certainly a rock band. Early U2 was punkish, and punk is a type of rock (though the antithesis of classic rock). I'll take heat for this Coldplay is a form of rock, just a softer (and some might say wimpier though I disagree) form.

2. Why do people have this notion that a lighter song or ballad somehow is not "rock"? . All the rock greats from Hendrix , to the Beatles, to the Stones, to Zep did numerous ballads. ISHFWLF is as much a rock song as Smoke on the Water. Rock encompasses so many sub-genres, including softer ones.

3. Funny how "dinosaur rock" is still front and centre of the rock genre in general; best selling rock artists of late have included AC/DC and Metallica. Kids are still listening to Zep, Queen, GNR etc. Guitar Hero's success was no fluke. No need to retire what seems to work. Whoever said Zep wasn't melodic has never listened to Zep 3. Tangerine was one of their greatest. Hey Hey What can I do which didn't make an album is folksey, melodic Zep at their best.

4. U2 "rocks" in concert, even if that side of them is more understated in studio. Their first five concert songs at one time or another since Pop have been mostly rockers including Beautiful Day, Elevation, Even Better than the Real Thing, Last Night On Earth,Gone, I Will Follow and Until the End of the World. Edge's live solo on Bullet the Blue Sky rivals that of any of the hard rock guitar gods.

Just my take.

edge has only done a few technical guitar solos, all of them live, and all of them pre-zootv (unless you want to call BTBS solo technical.)

maybe the REAL reason he doesnt do "real" guitar solos is he cant anymore, or never could.

edge has only done a few technical guitar solos, all of them live, and all of them pre-zootv (unless you want to call BTBS solo technical.)

maybe the REAL reason he doesnt do "real" guitar solos is he cant anymore, or never could.

Or he doesn't like them? Pointless guitar solos for the sake of having a guitar solo mostly suck

I do sometimes wonder if most of you are even U2 fans :lol: especially these ones, U2 have never been and never will be a hard rock band.

You know what I sincerely hope happens? They bring out Songs of Ascent, then another album, and then stop making new albums altogether, and just tour. Y'know, just tour Europe for three months, take six months off. Tour North America for three, six off, tour Australasia for three, and on it goes. Take Stones. They tour infrequently. They brought out Bigger Bang, didn't go down well, didn't play much material from it. U2 could just play songs from all over their career, without making new music, and I think the majority of us would be happy.

Back
Top Bottom