Barack Obama used "City Of Blinding Lights" as his introduction song...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
76,000 people attended the Invesco Stadium to watch and see Barack Obama accept the nomination for president. The lights were slightly dimmed, the crowd cheering, cameras flashing -- and the familiar guitar introduction of "City Of Blinding Lights" came on... the song lasted until Bono began to sing.

Definitely a rock star moment.

I saw that!

I also heard them playing Born in the USA before Obama came on. Can we please issue a memo to everyone involved in politics to tell them that playing/singing an angry song about the treatment of Vietnam veterans is not the best way to inspire feelings of "rah rah America"?

Come on, people!

I saw that!

I also heard them playing Born in the USA before Obama came on. Can we please issue a memo to everyone involved in politics to tell them that playing/singing an angry song about the treatment of Vietnam veterans is not the best way to inspire feelings of "rah rah America"?

Or a song about New York when you are in Denver. :lol:

I think they're using Born in the USA fully knowing its meaning.

Analysis: 'Born in the USA' returns to politics - Yahoo! News

Though he never actually used the music in his campaign as widely believed, Reagan famously interpreted Springsteen's music as a "message of hope" for the nation. The song and album "Born in the USA" were popular at the time, and most assumed Reagan was referring to them. Springsteen, a Democrat, bristled at his art being invoked for causes he opposed.

But using "Born in the USA" in the finale of this year's convention — and letting the entire song play through while cameras pan the crowd — fits the goals of Barack Obama, whom Springsteen has endorsed.

"Born in the USA" tells of a man who was "born down in a dead man's town," got sent to fight in Vietnam and returned home to no job and few veterans' benefits. The song ends with little hope:

"Down in the shadow of the penitentiary

Out by the gas fires of the refinery

Ten years burnin' down the road

Nowhere to run, ain't got nowhere to go."

After eight years of the administration of George W. Bush, whose father was Reagan's vice president, Obama says major changes and an infusion of hope are needed to get America back on track.

His speech Thursday night hit some of those themes. It said America was locked in "one of those defining moments — a moment when our nation is at war, our economy is in turmoil and the American promise has been threatened once more."

While "Born in the USA" spoke of the effects of Vietnam, Obama's speech spoke of the effects of Iraq. While the song spoke of a man turned away from work at the town refinery, Obama bemoaned a government that he said "lets veterans sleep on our streets and families slide into poverty."

Hmm, interesting.

However, considering I tuned in hoping that the rumors about Springsteen playing after the speech were true, I was disappointed that all the Bruce I got was overhearing that song on the convention floor. ;)

It was very much like Bono coming up on stage, waving (but no flag) and taking in the crowd... it was magical.

Using 'The Rising' by Springsteen for Biden last night was chilling, and I never really got into that song before. It seemed for me like a moment that defined the song. 'The Rising' reflects the kind of attitude and sentiment needed to repair a nation, or greater. When music is shared by large numbers of people like that, it changes the meaning for me, and its a feeling I get much like at a U2 concert. But this seems a little bit more prolific, as did COBL tonight. The $10,000 word is Inspiring

It's always great to know that U2's current music is relevant enough to be played as an intro song to a candidate's appearence. :up:

Is it just me who thinks that the election in Usa must be the most silly thing, the candidates are on road and acting like popstars, suck up to the people and shakin hands. Then on like an conferance like this one people scream like they where on a concert after every word the politican says. But thats not the most ridiculous thing, the most ridiculous thing is that the people in the crowd who scream after every word after an politcan that thinks that health insurance is a great idea.

True, politics in America (in any form whatsoever) are way different than, for example, here in Europe. Music, lights, pop star acts. And even though politics should be more serious than that, I don't think it's that bad that a campaign is supported through music and spotlights. The focus, however, should always be on the plans for the future that a certain politician promises - appearance, glamour and charisma are sidekicks to that, and can be positive or negative for the support a politician gets.

Health insurance is a bad idea? :eyebrow:

Yes, in my country it is included in the tax, everybody gets the same care, it dosnt matter if you have alots of money or not. A operation with a cost of 100 000 dollar is free for an homeless without insurance.
In USa people with more money can push one's way through a queue if you got more money and a better insurance.

The american model is terrible for the homeless and unemployed.

Yes, in my country it is included in the tax, everybody gets the same care, it dosnt matter if you have alots of money or not. A operation with a cost of 100 000 dollar is free for an homeless without insurance.
In USa people with more money can push one's way through a queue if you got more money and a better insurance.

The american model is terrible for the homeless and unemployed.

Right, that's why all those people were cheering for a change...

Obama loves U2!
The other day, I was watching the news (I live in France BTW) and they talked about him, and in one of his appearance earlier this year, he used "Beautiful Day"...

while i certainly don't doubt that obama could love u2, i wouldn't say that just because he uses u2 songs in his intros means he loves u2.

a) he probably doesn't pick the songs
b) u2 has become the safe political intro songs of choice by many politicians, 'cause everyone loves that boner guy.
c) do you assume he's a big brooks and dunn fan too because that's the song he left the stage to?

U2 are always plastered across liberal events. Beautiful Day and Angel Of Harlem have been used previously.

A shame.

while i certainly don't doubt that obama could love u2, i wouldn't say that just because he uses u2 songs in his intros means he loves u2.

a) he probably doesn't pick the songs
b) u2 has become the safe political intro songs of choice by many politicians, 'cause everyone loves that boner guy.
c) do you assume he's a big brooks and dunn fan too because that's the song he left the stage to?

Ok, you're probably right, I just noticed because I discovered U2 recently, so I thought it was... I don't know, funny maybe... Sorry...

It was a great surprise to hear COBL when he came on. Definitely a great intro, fitting for what was an incredible speech.

Also, a genius move to use the country tune at the end.

Well I watched many of his campaign stops on CSpan and saw that song played. He also used it when he formally announced his candidacy in Feb of 07 in Springfield, Illinois.

76,000 people attended ...The lights were slightly dimmed, the crowd cheering, cameras flashing -- Definitely a rock star moment.

The last time I think a politician evoked this much emotion and hysteria was in the late 1930's.

Mobs, no matter which party, can never be trusted.

So a senator from the least productive congress and with the lowest public opinion represents change how? (on either side really).

Yes, Obama has used U2 quite a bit throughout the campaign, but last night's speech was just such an amazing moment -- a historical moment -- to hear COBL start up to herald it in was just incredible. A rare moment that really transcended politics.

Back
Top Bottom