Barack Obama used "City Of Blinding Lights" as his introduction song...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:yes: Well said :up:

I think it's interesting how all the celebrities backing Obama are taking such low profiles and keeping mum about their support. So what, who cares what politicians celebrities endorse?

True, but smart celebrities (an oxymoron?) know that their endorsements can also mean backlash - against everyone involved. It makes the celebrity seem preachy and condescending and it makes the candidate seem shallow and frivolous.

I know Bruce Springsteen waited until endorsing Obama and even made sure that the campaign actually wanted his help. And you should see the man's message boards regarding his political affiliations from the last two cycles.

Of course, Bono has a lot more at stake with his political statements. He doesn't want to burn any bridges in respect to his charitable work.

I wish they had used Pride instead. I hate COBL, and Pride would have been a perfect choice in light of the "I Have a Dream" speech anniversary coinciding with the day of Obama's acceptance speech. And the campaign has used Pride before - they played it at the Obama speech I was at last year (after he was done speaking). I was so excited I practically jumped out of my seat!

I wish they had used Pride instead. I hate COBL, and Pride would have been a perfect choice in light of the "I Have a Dream" speech anniversary coinciding with the day of Obama's acceptance speech. And the campaign has used Pride before - they played it at the Obama speech I was at last year (after he was done speaking). I was so excited I practically jumped out of my seat!

How about something we all could agree on - Streets?

I know your question was retorical, but nope he hasn't.

Bono is forever bi-partisan these days as ahittle mentioned above because of his lobby work with ONE.

I read an ariticle that ONE is also sponsoring a concert in MSP for RNC convention, just like they did for the DNC.

So Bono is neutral people.

And as for Obama's music choices. There was an article printed in Blender magazine, that yes indeed Obama is a U2 fan and lists COBL on his top 10 favorites....
McCain's list is there too. Dancing Queen.:huh: no comment.
Here you go: (sorry if this was posted before)

Blender reported the two candidates top 10 songs of all time, and let me tell ya -- it makes Obama look even cooler (The Boss & Nina Simone?!) and McCain even older -- although to his avail he's got some good cuts by Orbison and the Beach Boys on here. But c'mon, I can't picture McCain dancing around to ABBA in the White House.

The lists are as follows:

Barack Obama:

Fugees - "Ready or Not"

Marvin Gaye - "What's Going On"

Bruce Springsteen - "I'm on Fire"

The Rolling Stones - "Gimme Shelter"

Nina Simone - "Sinnerman"

Kanye West - "Touch the Sky"

Frank Sinatra - "You'd Be So Easy to Love"

Aretha Franklin - "Think"

U2 - "City of Blinding Lights"

will.i.am - "Yes I Can"

John McCain:

ABBA - "Dancing Queen"

Roy Orbison - "Blue Bayou"

ABBA - "Take a Chance on Me"

Merle Haggard - "If We Make it Through December"

Dooley Wilson - "As Time Goes By"

The Beach Boys - "Good Vibrations"

Louis Armstrong - "What a Wonderful World"

Frank Sinatra - "I've Got You Under My Skin"

Neil Diamond - "Sweet Caroline"

The Platters - "Smoke Gets in Your Eyes"

I'm a big Obama fan but I gotta say, after Bill Clinton pioneered the practice of campaigning with U2 in '92, Gore, Kerry, and now Obama all tried to copy him :)

Not that it's a BAD thing, of course...

:wink:

I'm a big Obama fan but I gotta say, after Bill Clinton pioneered the practice of campaigning with U2 in '92, Gore, Kerry, and now Obama all tried to copy him :)

Not that it's a BAD thing, of course...

:wink:

Ya, U2 and social messages are a perfect match IMO. :rockon:
I know lots of music purists hate that, but I think it's inspiring.

I loved when U2 hung out with Clinton.
Remember in that book " At the End of the World" where it said they met up with him in the hotel they were staying at back in the 90's and it looked like a bomb went off in Bono's room? Typical Bono. :lol:

Well, I don't think his personal preferences have anything to do with his political campaigning. Of course he has to meet with everyone, Democrats and Republicans. He has to live up to his ideal of being bipartisan.

Well, I don't think his personal preferences have anything to do with his political campaigning. Of course he has to meet with everyone, Democrats and Republicans. He has to live up to his ideal of being bipartisan.

It was sarcasm :) However I do think he might be able to talk circles around Sarah Palin in terms of his knowledge of world affairs.

Do they have to get approval from U2 to use those songs to open the DNC? I bet they do. I wonder if they have to pay U2...?

Anyway, yeah it definitely struck me how much Barack and Bono reminded me of each other during that intro. I dunno if that's a good thing or not... We love to jump on the bandwagon, but messianic complexes might not be good...

Besides, who wants to CHANGE THE WORLD anyway? Everything is proceeding perfectly... ;)

I was interested in Pride by John Legend so I looked it up online, here's a link to hear it. I love his voice

Dailymotion - John Legend performs PRIDE (In The Name of Love), a video from ElectricArtists. Martin, luther, king, 1968, obama

By Nekesa Mumbi Moody, Associated Press

NEW YORK — Barack Obama's presidential campaign, which has inspired a multitude of songs by stars and amateurs alike, is now getting an official soundtrack.

Yes We Can: Voices of a Grassroots Movement, which takes its title from an Obama campaign slogan, features Kanye West, John Legend, Sheryl Crow, Stevie Wonder and others. It will be available for sale exclusively through Obama's campaign starting Friday.

Proceeds from the CD ($24.99 for a digital download, $30 for a physical product) will help fund Obama's campaign until Nov. 4, Election Day, according Hidden Beach Recordings, which created the CD.

While most of the songs on the disc have been previously released — such as John Mayer's Waiting On the World to Change and Stevie Wonder's classic Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours— a few of the songs are new, including John Legend's Pride in the Name of Love and Promised Land, a song by Malik Yusef featuring Kanye West and Adam Levine of Maroon 5.

Obama loves U2!
The other day, I was watching the news (I live in France BTW) and they talked about him, and in one of his appearance earlier this year, he used "Beautiful Day"...

He knows that lots of people love U2; that's why he's using their music. He wants them to love him, too, by association. John Kerry did the same thing.

It was very much like Bono coming up on stage, waving (but no flag) and taking in the crowd... it was magical.

That was probably his plan. I've been thinking for some time that he seems to want people to think he's Bono. I heard that he even plagiarized one of Bono's speeches; but I haven't looked into that yet, so I don't know if it's true or not (though it wouldn't surprise me).

That was probably his plan. I've been thinking for some time that he seems to want people to think he's Bono. I heard that he even plagiarized one of Bono's speeches; but I haven't looked into that yet, so I don't know if it's true or not (though it wouldn't surprise me).

WHAT?!:huh:

It will be nice when all this BS political rallying that doesnt really benefit anybody (even though some have been brainwashed into thinking it does), is over. Democrat or Republican the normal citizen is never represented, only the rich with money will benefit from whatever side they come from either Government (Democrat) or Private (Republican). There is absolutely nothing that either party will do for the average working person in the US and anybody that thinks otherwise I am affraid will be mistaken.

People should look out for themselves because the government either way wont be doing much for them, all they are is a bunch of talking heads promoting big ideas that they cant live up to in the end.

Just my 2 cents.

It will be nice when all this BS political rallying that doesnt really benefit anybody (even though some have been brainwashed into thinking it does), is over. Democrat or Republican the normal citizen is never represented, only the rich with money will benefit from whatever side they come from either Government (Democrat) or Private (Republican). There is absolutely nothing that either party will do for the average working person in the US and anybody that thinks otherwise I am affraid will be mistaken.

People should look out for themselves because the government either way wont be doing much for them, all they are is a bunch of talking heads promoting big ideas that they cant live up to in the end.

Just my 2 cents.

Too true. Politicians will say whatever they think we want to hear. Even *gasp* Obama.

Glad to hear everybody isn't drinking the Kool-Aid just yet.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fairly liberal and Mr. Obama will get my vote in November (due to the competition), however, I'm not expecting the next great world leader.

The guy's a politician. His job is to lie to me. I'm not expecting a whole lot.

:tsk:

Folks, BONO plagiarized Mikey from GOONIES!

"This is our time, it's our time down here! But it's all over as soon as we ride up Troy's bucket."

Get your facts straight. :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom