Bang a Gong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is very strange. I'm not sure Edge even plays guitar on this, the brass is louder than Bono, who whispers and/or moans every syllable, the eerie synthesizer from Dirty Day is all over the song, then Elton starts hamming it up at the end with Kermit vocals that would make Lovetown Bono blush. It's like a fever dream.

I don't hear any guitar whatsoever.
Picture Edge just sitting in the studio watching Elton play piano thinking of how he can incorporate that into the next U2 album and tour.

I heard some palm muted guitar around the 2:30 mark - Edge on fire, confirmed.

It's not terrible, but this cover is... kinda bumming me out. I think they blew it with the arrangement - it's an interesting take to replace an iconic guitar riff with horns, but almost nothing else about the song has changed to warrant the shift. Drop the tempo a bit more, give it some swing and some atmosphere, and figure out if the horns are the hook, or the annoying jazzy-bluesy piano runs that feature a little too prominently in the mix.

Whether we ever hear it or not, I'm sure there's at least one other mix that subdues the horns in favor of a guitar playing the main riff. It would make a good >2minute b-stage cover, I'm sure.

FYI, that piano is done by a guy named Elton John.

Its the whispered vocal I have the most problems with! I thought it was going to be something just for the first verse, but I guess not.

Very, very strange...

I want to retract my previous comments. I went back to this last night after listening to the original (which does kind of have a similar vocal style) and apart from the lack of guitar, I really like it.

There’s quite a good groove going on, Elton’s piano playing is very suited to it and I like the high vocal doubling from Bono/Edge too.

Its kind of fun. I approve,

Its the whispered vocal I have the most problems with! I thought it was going to be something just for the first verse, but I guess not.

Very, very strange...

that's how bolan sang it. bono's being faithful to the original. elton over plays just a bit though. good god!

that's how bolan sang it. bono's being faithful to the original. elton over plays just a bit though. good god!

He does go to town on it doesn’t he? Which I have no problems with now! Is in the spirit of the whole thing I say.

And yeah, my mind had genuinely blanked-out how Bolan sang it - it was only when watching performances on Youtube that it came back to me.

Back
Top Bottom