"Bad" in Linkin Park??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2387

Refugee
I just worked my concert security gig in Boston tonight.

Linkin Park was playing at the Garden.

They opened their encore with this "Iridescence" song and then went right into "Shadow of the Day.

I was well aware of Shadow's WOWY similarities, but I was expecting the singer to belt out a "wideeeeee awaaaaaaaakeee" during this song:

YouTube - Linkin Park-Iridescent Lyrics

I know there are plenty of differences, but I think they listened to Bad a few times!

They opened the Iridescence performance with a speech or poem being read, just like with Ultraviolet and what do you know, the titles evoke similar feelings!

I think Linkin Park since 2008 or so draws a lot of influence from our guys!

^ :lol:

That's ridiculous. How could they plaigarise so blatently?! Shameless. Mind you, they are a terrible band.

Wow, those aren't very subtle lyrics to that Linkin Park song.

Linkin Park create their own genre with A Thousand Suns.

The album is unlike anything you've heard from Linkin Park or anyone else for that matter. The best way to describe it—and it's still light years away from the experience of actually listening to it—is The Fragile meets Achtung Baby. However, it's more like a soundtrack to salvation than anything else.

A Thousand Suns deeply examines loss, life and love in the space age with a very Blade Runner approach.

The first single, "The Catalyst" [view video, is a unique introduction and a fitting preview. The "God save us everyone line" is another crucial bit of information that's cyclical within the sonic solar system that is A Thousand Suns. After A Thousand Suns, all rock 'n' roll will revolve around Linkin Park.

:lol:

I do think the "let it go" lift is a little more defensible then what The Bravery apparently did with NYD.

Hahaha, and we thought Bono was good at hyperbole. 'Soundtrack to salvation'??? 'The Fragile meets Achtung Baby???' :lol:

Hahaha, and we thought Bono was good at hyperbole. 'Soundtrack to salvation'??? 'The Fragile meets Achtung Baby???' :lol:

Yeah I found that an excerpt from that review on the Thousand Suns wiki page and could. not. resist. reading the whole thing.

^ :lol:

That's ridiculous. How could they plaigarise so blatently?! Shameless. Mind you, they are a terrible band.

Eh, I rather enjoy The Bravery.

And I'm more than certain that they got permission to do what they did, considering they've previously taken a U2 song before (and performed them live).

But yeah, kinda still goes under the radar.

Western popular music uses common chord progressions and melody, whaaaaaaaaaaat.

I think we have another Interference Musicology Research Breakthrough.

Tell the boys in the lab they're doing a good job :up:

Western popular music uses common chord progressions and melody, whaaaaaaaaaaat.

I think we have another Interference Musicology Research Breakthrough.

Tell the boys in the lab they're doing a good job :up:

There's a difference between common chord progression and matching chords.

The Bravery, for example, is known for their influence by U2, and usesis the exact bass line in No Breaks. In the 9 9 11 9 part, they simply tack on an extra note at the end. But even the chorus portion of that song is exactly the same.

Don't wanna sound like I'm a musical genius with playing the instrument as I just picked up a bass about 3 weeks ago... but I can play that. It's the same +1 extra note.

As for the John Meyer song, that's almost a mockery. Not of one instrument, but of the whole sound.

Eh, I rather enjoy The Bravery.

And I'm more than certain that they got permission to do what they did, considering they've previously taken a U2 song before (and performed them live).

But yeah, kinda still goes under the radar.

There's a big difference (in my opinion) between 'stealing from the thieves' and just blatently ripping off another band's ideas. And from what I can hear, that bass line is a complete rip-off of New Year's Day. I think that's a whole lot different from performing a cover version.

There's a big difference (in my opinion) between 'stealing from the thieves' and just blatently ripping off another band's ideas. And from what I can hear, that bass line is a complete rip-off of New Year's Day. I think that's a whole lot different from performing a cover version.

And there's a complete difference between ripping off an artist (ala Coldplay vs. Joe Satriani, as much as I like Coldplay) and wanting to be that artist.

The Bravery wouldn't be afraid to admit it. I'm sure if they were interviewed they would say they got it from U2. They love U2's music, they want to make music similar to them (although with their own stylistic tendencies). If I was musically talented, I pay homage to the legends that are U2. They're not ripping them off, they're honoring them.

I'm afraid that is where we fundamentally disagree. I happen to be of the opinion that the Coldplay/Satriani thing was a total fluke and not Coldplay trying to honour or rip-off Joe Satriani in any way. In this instance I think it is less The Bravery trying to 'honour' U2 and more nick their ideas/tunes. I don't think it would be too hard to see that Coldplay have been influenced greatly by U2, and yet they haven't yet come up with a song that is as much of a blatent rip off.

It sounds to me like you're a Coldplay fan. And you don't like The Bravery. You're coming off very biased here.

The Coldplay-Satriani thing is a clear indication of a ripoff. It is note for note, the same at the chorus.

The Bravery doesn't even produce that similar of music to U2. If they're willing to outright state they are influenced by U2, and include a song of U2's on their album, I could hardly call it nicking their ideas/tunes. Like I said before, they included an An Cat Dubh cover on the same album.

Sam Endicott, lead singer of U2.

YouTube - The Bravery - The Bravery iTunes Podcast

Huh, do you recognize that album he points at? It's War. Do you recognize the song we're talking about? It's 'New Year's Day'. From War. They absolutely praise U2. Hell, bassist Mike Hindert uses a Gibson Thunderbird. It pretty much resemble a bass version of Edge's Gibson Explorer.

It was their first album. It was their breakout album. They made that music before they became mainstream famous. That song is not that famous of a song (No Breaks). They are not stealing U2's music. They are honoring it. Like in the video, Endicott states when I was 9 years old. Hardly sounds like thieves words to me.

It sounds to me like you're a Coldplay fan. And you don't like The Bravery. You're coming off very biased here.

:lol: Haha trust me mate, I'm not a Coldplay fan. It doesn't matter how much The Bravery might gush about how they are influenced by U2, it doesn't change the fact that they ripped off that U2 tune/melody. I don't think it matters how much they might acknowledge their influence....its still blatant plaigarism as far as I'm concerned.

I also don't think I have to be a Coldplay fan to believe that the whole Coldplay/Satriani thing was a fluke. I think you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who didn't believe that Coldplay were influenced by u2 and yet many people wouldn't have automatically classed them as being inspired by Joe Satriani.

It's not hard to take a catchy melody, stick it on a violin, and make it sounds Coldplayish.

You're holding a complete double-standard here. Coldplay isn't ripping off Satriani but The Bravery is ripping off U2. Even though, in all likelihood, they received all sampling rights, unlike Coldplay, who insisted it was their own.

Fuckin' popular songs.
How do they work?

So what, that John Mayer shares what with Bad?

Having a simplistic, two chord structure, echoey-delay thing in the background, and a bass guitar that is mic'ed and mixed similarly (although not the same bassline)?. The vocal melody for 'heart-break war-fare' was the only thing that really made me perk up my ears a little.

Just because you love U2, and think they're the most popular band in the world doesn't mean there's probably over a hundred songs out there in music that sound like Bad.

OMG OMG OMG Running to Stand Still is a rip-off of Heroin. Who fucking cares?

There's a difference between common chord progression and matching chords.

The Bravery, for example, is known for their influence by U2, and usesis the exact bass line in No Breaks. In the 9 9 11 9 part, they simply tack on an extra note at the end. But even the chorus portion of that song is exactly the same.

Don't wanna sound like I'm a musical genius with playing the instrument as I just picked up a bass about 3 weeks ago... but I can play that. It's the same +1 extra note.

As for the John Meyer song, that's almost a mockery. Not of one instrument, but of the whole sound.
It's not exactly the same at all.

Listen to the songs and basslines again. The only similarity is the chord progression in the bassline. The only notes that are the identical are the first four notes of the bassline.

You guys are killing me here.

It's not exactly the same at all.

Listen to the songs and basslines again. The only similarity is the chord progression in the bassline. The only notes that are the identical are the first four notes of the bassline.

You guys are killing me here.

We're killing you? Well, I made one comment about the 'Bad' correlation. The intro is identical in sound.

No, I never said 'z0mg U2 is teh bestest band tehh hole yde wurld, teh rest of them are theeves'.

That doesn't stop Mayer's intro to his song being shockingly similar. Each individual chord, you're right, is not the same. Which is why I called it a mockery. It mimics 'Bad' by hitting the same progression from high to low, in the same order. The overall composition is the same, despite the individual notes being slightly different.

Point is though, in the end, you gotta know what you're releasing. Mayer's isn't a rip... it's just cheesy because it ends up looking unoriginal.

I'm sorry, I spend about a week posting in EYKIW before the echo-chamber clusterfuck that it is forces me to withdraw for another six months.

Best wishes for the future, EYKIW posters. I'll never forget you.

mheY0.gif

Hzr2E.gif

Back
Top Bottom