"Bad" in Linkin Park??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^^

Well, when I started the thread, I was, in a very intrigued and non accusatory way, pointing out what I felt was a U2 influenced turn for Linkin Park in the last few years.

I was genuinely interested- they played all the stuff I used to hear back in middle school and early high school, that sound we are familiar with, then they pulled out what I posted and "shadow of the day" in the encore and I felt like they were trying to convey the same vibe as Bad and WOWY.

OH MY GAWD

Katy Perry's "Firework" is like an EXACT COPY of Bullet The Blue Sky

WAH WAH WAH
CALL THE WAHMBULANCE

:wink::wink:

Non-U2 song + downtime between albums = existing U2 song

I like to think of U2 fans as mathematicians. Sounds better than cult members.

6a00d8341bfd2253ef00e55426d7bb8834-320wi

*Snap snap snap*

I dont mean it in such a manner. I meant is as in, it is best that you be direct with who you are talking to. That way someone doesn't backlash at you when you weren't talking to them. And so the person you're making a point of knows you're talking about them.

i can't believe anyone sees bad in heartbreak warfare.

:tsk: An A-D chord progression looped ad infinitum is a concept U2 patented in the '80s.

That doesn't stop Mayer's intro to his song being shockingly similar. Each individual chord, you're right, is not the same. Which is why I called it a mockery. It mimics 'Bad' by hitting the same progression from high to low, in the same order. The overall composition is the same, despite the individual notes being slightly different.

Point is though, in the end, you gotta know what you're releasing. Mayer's isn't a rip... it's just cheesy because it ends up looking unoriginal.

Just for the record, I heard John Mayer in a radio interview say he "borrowed" the chords for Hearbreak WF from U2's Bad because it fit the song and he love's the sound so much.
So I guess he didn't rip it off since he admitted it, huh?

Just for the record, I heard John Mayer in a radio interview say he "borrowed" the chords for Hearbreak WF from U2's Bad because it fit the song and he love's the sound so much.
So I guess he didn't rip it off since he admitted it, huh?

If that's the case than I can respect him...

I initially didn't think he acknowledged it. It's not a ripoff if you openly admit you borrowed something (and actually legally borrowed it).

Granted when you are unoriginal it does take a hit on your credibility and talent. And, btw, you directly quote me saying it's not a rip. Read your post... and tell me if your response makes any sense towards me?

If that's the case than I can respect him...

I initially didn't think he acknowledged it. It's not a ripoff if you openly admit you borrowed something (and actually legally borrowed it).

Granted when you are unoriginal it does take a hit on your credibility and talent. And, btw, you directly quote me saying it's not a rip. Read your post... and tell me if your response makes any sense towards me?

YouTube - *** John Mayer - Heartbreak Warfare [Storytellers - VH1] ***

And at that video, I can bow down to him. Words of truth, words of honesty.

If I could, you know I would, if I could [make music]!

If you read my other comments though, you'll see that I noted that exact same thing that Mayer says when in respects to The Bravery's 'No Brakes'. They're not ripping off U2, they're praising U2.

Mayer is praising U2. Initially, ignorance led me to believe otherwise. And I withdraw my other statements. But, at the very least, I hope that video says booya to those who thought it was a coincidence or said 'I dont hear it?' :)

Borrowing is not stealing or "ripping off". Borrowing stuff from another band's song is acknowledging that the original band (in this case, U2) made an excellent song and you (John Mayer) would like to recognize their achievement through your own style of music.

I personally think Heartbreak Warfare is an awesome song

YouTube - Linkin Park-Iridescent Lyrics

I think Linkin Park since 2008 or so draws a lot of influence from our guys!

I'll probably get killed for saying this but that song also reminds me of Moment of Surrender. Probably because both songs are in the key of C and the opening of Iridescent features an Edge shimmer sound.

Not suprised at all since Mike Shinoda's a big U2 fan (1, 2), and their guitarist, Brad Delson, also cites U2 as one of his favorites (1).

Chester Chessington of Linkin Park(or whatever his name is) has been a MASSIVE u2 fans for years.

Of course his influences will show in his music.

I remember reading a few years ago Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park said:

"On the rock side, I'm about to get started on a remix of U2 and hopefully a song with Sting."
(link)

Does anyone have any idea what became of that? A Linkin Park remix of a U2 song?
Sounds as crazy as Trent Reznor remixing "Vertigo."

Before you go all self-righteous on U2, check out this:

YouTube - U2- Desire

YouTube - The Stooges - 1969

And The Stooges (and a zillion other performers) ripped off that beat from Bo Diddley, which he probably picked up from old bluesmen. U2 are hardly unique in that.

YouTube - ‪Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley (1955)‬‏

Four pages in and I still won't listen to any Linkin Park songs. Ha!!!!

Linkin Park are my shameful guilty pleasure. :(

Back
Top Bottom