B-Side U2: 'Medium, Rare and Remastered'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IrelandCalling4

Babyface
I'm only beginning to discover B-Side U2; B-Sides are or can be amazing; almost an alternate recording history of a favourite band. And more often than not, it's mostly the fans that hear these, an extra layer the fans can enjoy - released on singles, but obscure in a way as casuals don't seek them out.

Most here I'm sure are exceptionally knowledgeable on B Side '2, thus I will ask opinion; best B-Sides? Album with most B-Sides?

I managed to acquire the excellent 'Medium, Rare and Remastered' - I'd heard a few of these, but many were new to me. 'Native Son' for instance, early version of Vertigo; the tracks from sessions up to then unreleased. Quality was quite high throughout the 20 track; a very interesting track was 'Always' - out of it came 'Beautiful Day' o course; fascinating as a glimpse into U2. 'Always' had a great ascending chord pattern, the song itself was so-so, not great, though it sounds like a finished, completed take. Out of it came an even better song.

I have the 'Achtung Baby' disc of B-Sides, 'Salome' was always a top favourite of mine.

It seems AB may have had the most B-Sides? HTDAAB, as far as I can see, only had 3? I'm not counting remixes, just non-album original songs.

This is the beginning of my journey into B-Side '2, looking forward to giving 'Medium, Rare, Remastered' another spin tonight!

Recommendations are very welcome :)

Enjoy the discovery, U2 has some really great b-sides in their catalog. The Rattle and Hum era has some of my favorite b-sides.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Hello and welcome

the Best of 80's - 90s or whatever it was called had some really good b sides if you got the double disk. At least from what i recall...been a while since i bought that.

if the bonus cd with that came with the 1980-90 best of is still available that would be a great place to start.
The Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree b-sides were the best and if they had been combined somehow as an official album it would probably be in their top 5 or 6.
You're going to have a great time.

Hello and welcome

the Best of 80's - 90s or whatever it was called had some really good b sides if you got the double disk. At least from what i recall...been a while since i bought that.

That one and 90s-00s double album are very hard to acquire as they were limited editions. :) But they're definitely worth it.

IMO the best b-side is Lady With the Spinning Head (Extended Dance Remix). Brilliant, brilliant track.

As was said - this would be pretty close to any album back then.

Boomerang I
The Three Sunrises
Love Comes Tumbling
60 Seconds In Kingdom Come
Boomerang II
Bass Trap

Luminous Times (Hold On To Love)
Spanish Eyes
Deep In The Heart
Walk To The Water
Silver & Gold
Sweetest Thing
Race Against Time

if the bonus cd with that came with the 1980-90 best of is still available that would be a great place to start.
The Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree b-sides were the best and if they had been combined somehow as an official album it would probably be in their top 5 or 6.

:up::up::up:

Seconded. TUF/JT era b-sides are by far the band's best, and I'd easily put that second disc from the 80-90 compilation above 3/4 of the rest of the band's regular studio catalogue.

That one and 90s-00s double album are very hard to acquire as they were limited editions. :) But they're definitely worth it.

IMO the best b-side is Lady With the Spinning Head (Extended Dance Remix). Brilliant, brilliant track.

:drool:

As was said - this would be pretty close to any album back then.

Boomerang I
The Three Sunrises
Love Comes Tumbling
60 Seconds In Kingdom Come
Boomerang II
Bass Trap

Luminous Times (Hold On To Love)
Spanish Eyes
Deep In The Heart
Walk To The Water
Silver & Gold
Sweetest Thing
Race Against Time

:drool:

I read that the covers of Paint It Black and Fortunate Son which were released on the Who's Gonna Ride... single were actually recorded in the Rattle and Hum era/1988 I guess. But not released. Which makes me think maybe Bono redid his vocals or something since the covers have that Achtung Baby era tinge to them, for obvious reasons.

Yeah if you want to start small and don't want to illegally download the deluxe albums, the 2 disc best of 80-90's a perfect starting point :) some of U2's best songs on there.

It was reissued at some point so it shouldn't be as hard to find as it used to be, at least, and if you find the right second music shop you're laughing. I'm staying in Australia at the moment and went looking for a copy of the 2 disc version to listen to in the car and found it for the equivalent of £3.50/€5.

What got me in the mood for listening to that disc again was hearing their version of Everlasting Love for the first time in years on some classic/hit station. I never knew it was actually the second half of a Double A-Side with All I Want Is You over here! Alien as it might be to diehards, I imagine whenever the band make it to Australia there's a bunch in the crowd really hoping they play that cover that's always on the radio only to leave disappointed. :lol:

Room at the Heartbreak Hotel might be my favorite B-side ever. God I love that song. Lady with the Spinning Head is also fantastic.

It was reissued at some point so it shouldn't be as hard to find as it used to be, at least, and if you find the right second music shop you're laughing. I'm staying in Australia at the moment and went looking for a copy of the 2 disc version to listen to in the car and found it for the equivalent of £3.50/€5.

Wow really? Man it took me months to find it when I became a fan in 2004 ish. :lol: My mother's friend actually found 1980-90 for me in a recordshop in Dublin of all places. With the 1990-2000 I got lucky here and found it fairly easily. It was a whole lot more expensve than 5 euros tho.

BSides

Thanks for all the great info; I had 'Lady with the Spinning Head' on last night actually, I have the BSides disc of the 'Achtung Baby' uber deluxe, and mighty fine it is too! A query though on it, the songwriting credits, besides 'Paint it Black', 'Fortunate Son' and 'Satellite of Love' - are all of the other U2 originals?

The 'Medium, Rare and Remastered' is an excellent collection; a lot of good stuff on it!

Can't say enough good stuff about the Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree bonus discs.

Word of warning on the 1980/1990 Best Of U2 as regards the R&H singles B-Sides, aside from Everlasting Love and Unchained Melody the others are all "Best Of" edits, plus you also miss out on the rather cool Desire and God Pt II Remixes and LRM live.

Actually, you might want to try and track down the European CD singles from the R&H era for the actual full length and frankly better versions, due to it not getting the deluxe treatment (yet!). :up:

Back
Top Bottom