Old 09-12-2020, 07:57 PM   #121
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:27 AM
or Bonernie?

lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:19 PM   #122
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:27 AM
little did we know that the fake bono from the EBTTRT video has secretly had a steady job for almost two decades.

DaveC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:39 PM   #123
War Child

Rumors persist that Bono was barefoot in the desert for The Joshua Tree photo shoot.
pacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:17 PM   #124
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:27 AM
Those outtakes invariably became HTDAAB tracks, Electrical Storm and THTBA.

I would have expected 2-5 interesting ideas to have been on this box as either early versions of songs released later, or ideas that didn’t get developed further.

I had great hope after the announcement of this set that in 9 years we’d get a ‘baby’ NLOTH, but now...
dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:03 AM   #125
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
Those outtakes invariably became HTDAAB tracks, Electrical Storm and THTBA.

I would have expected 2-5 interesting ideas to have been on this box as either early versions of songs released later, or ideas that didn’t get developed further.

I had great hope after the announcement of this set that in 9 years we’d get a ‘baby’ NLOTH, but now...
They dont recycle that much. LAPOE and OOTS made the cut for Htdaab.

Jagger vocals in Stuck, single version of Walk on at the least could have been added.
U2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:41 AM   #126
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:27 AM
ATYCLB 20th Anniversary Box Set

COBL had been around since the Pop days, and OOTS was from ATYCLB sessions.

SYCMIOYO started as something different in those sessions before Bob died.
dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:13 AM   #127
Blue Crack Distributor

They have a shit ton of unreleased material from the era.

Quote:

During the production of “All That You Can’t Leave Behind” Brian Eno kept a production notebook that listed many of the songs and song ideas that were being worked on. The notebook listed over fifty different song titles that did not come to be on the album, including songs such as “Miracle Drug”, “A Man and a Woman” (described as “Boomerang 3”), “Sometimes You Can’t Make it On Your Own” (called a Doo Wop version), and a song called “Night Shift / Harder / Love + Peace” which we know better as “Love and Peace or Else”. The notebook also mentions “Scott Walker” which went on to be developed into “City of Blinding Lights”. Another listed song, “Levitate” was released as part of “The Complete U2” on a digital album called “Unreleased & Rare” where it was marked as having been a demo from “All That You Can’t Leave Behind”. Other songs released in that set from the “All That You Can’t Leave Behind” sessions were “Flower Child” and “Love You Like Mad”. The notebook also listed “Are You Gonna Wait Forever” which was released as a b-side to “Vertigo”.
So if you eliminate the 9 mentioned tracks and the 5 songs on the reissue that's still a shit ton of unreleased material. they could also release earlier versions of some of the songs, as many bands do and as u2 did for the Achtung Baby reissue. Kite came from a recording session very close to the end of popmart. I'd love to hear what the original sounded like.
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:04 AM   #128
War Child

Local Time: 04:27 PM
I think earlier versions of songs are the best we can hope for. For all that every album inevitably has tens of songs which get whittled down to the final 10-12, I wonder how many of those others are anything other than very rough sketches which go nowhere, chord progressions/lyric ideas etc and just end up becoming other songs on later projects.

I suspect that even if there are nearly-finished songs there which aren’t being held back for future albums, the band has zero interest in giving them a bit of spit & polish so they can be released on things like this.
ascender_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:12 AM   #129
Blue Crack Supplier

Curious about this “Doo Wop” version of SYCMIOYO. Assuming it’s more interesting musically than what wound up on the album, which is mostly lifeless other than Bono’s vocal and easily my least favorite on The Bomb.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:03 PM   #130
War Child

Carrying around songs from one album’s sessions to another has been a common U2 trait for years, anything unreleased is very much “unreleased so far”, rather than one they think they’ve truly consigned to history.

I forget whether it was Sometimes or COBL but one of them originated during the Pop sessions, for instance. If there are any promising unheard ideas leftover from ATYCLB, I wouldn’t be surprised if they still consider them as contenders for future albums.
tommycharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 01:05 PM   #131
Blue Crack Distributor

I mean... it's been 20 years
Old 09-13-2020, 02:46 PM   #132
Blue Crack Addict

the band is now at the point of just straight up using riffs that other musicians wrote. the edge is out of ideas. they don't have any promising hidden gems sitting in the vault from the year 2000.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:14 AM   #133
Refugee

Local Time: 10:27 AM
There might not be gems but there are definitely unreleased songs at various stages of completion and different versions of released songs. They record songs in different tempos and keys, with different arrangements and lyrics.

This box set seems like a thoughtless last minute job dreamt up by the marketing department. That would explain the contents - they didn't have time to prepare anything else. Or they're just lazy, greedy, and delusional.

Including the audio from the Boston dvd in lieu of another, full show is shocking.
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #134
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
There might not be gems but there are definitely unreleased songs at various stages of completion and different versions of released songs. They record songs in different tempos and keys, with different arrangements and lyrics.

This box set seems like a thoughtless last minute job dreamt up by the marketing department. That would explain the contents - they didn't have time to prepare anything else. Or they're just lazy, greedy, and delusional.

Including the audio from the Boston dvd in lieu of another, full show is shocking.
I'd be willing to hear out "didn't have time" arguments if not for the little known fact that we're in the midst of a global pandemic and literally all they've had over the past 6 months was time.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:22 AM   #135
War Child

Especially as they have found the time to do a couple of cool things (Zoo TV Sydney with new audio, Vertigo Chicago in 1080p). They just didn’t put the people who care about things on this one.
tommycharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #136
Blue Crack Addict

do people really care that much about hearing Elevation played in G instead of E, or like a demo version of Peace on Earth? if you want to hear an unfinished ATYCLB song just put on the closing track...
Old 09-14-2020, 10:23 AM   #137
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender_RS View Post
There’s a re-release of Sign O’ The Times did imminently which has 63 previously unreleased tracks including a previously unreleased 2 hour concert.
This is the new remaster/box set standard as far as I'm concerned. A mind-blowing set.
The Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #138
Refugee

Local Time: 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
I'd be willing to hear out "didn't have time" arguments if not for the little known fact that we're in the midst of a global pandemic and literally all they've had over the past 6 months was time.
Ha, true! I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. I dont know why...
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:39 AM   #139
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
do people really care that much about hearing Elevation played in G instead of E, or like a demo version of Peace on Earth? if you want to hear an unfinished ATYCLB song just put on the closing track...
Yes?
Old 09-14-2020, 04:18 PM   #140
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm NGL, I'd pay the $210 for the box itself and the Anton book. I guess I'm the target demo for this particular release.

I wish there was more stuff I'd never heard. And I'll be very unlikely to ever attempt to play the 3LP live show. But, I love this album. It's one of the most important musical releases in my entire life. It got me into the band and I will never stop feeling a strong emotional attachment to it.

For others, I totally think the criticisms are valid, but for just something to go on my display case, I'm very much in.