ATYCLB 20th Anniversary Box Set

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The overall packages look very nice aesthetically speaking, but the contents are really, really predictable and disappointing. What’s new here, the remixes?

I think we can probably agree at this point that the vaults are pretty bare in terms of demos & songs that the band are willing to release or maybe there’s just nothing in there other than all the live show recordings.

The overall packages look very nice aesthetically speaking, but the contents are really, really predictable and disappointing. What’s new here, the remixes?

I think we can probably agree at this point that the vaults are pretty bare in terms of demos & songs that the band are willing to release or maybe there’s just nothing in there other than all the live show recordings.
I could handle them not wanting to put out any unreleased b sides or anything like that if they would have merely put out an unreleased concert.

No “Stuck” with Mick? The RNRHOF performance was hilarious but I’d love to hear the studio version. FFS

Since this release just seems to be an excuse to get previously released stuff on Spotify it would have been nice to at least include the Tomb Raider mix of Elevation and the single version of Walk On.

Last edited:
I could handle them not wanting to put out any unreleased b sides or anything like that if they would have merely put out an unreleased concert.

But even then, U2 bootlegs were a widely circulated and popular scene even before the internet. Unless its an unreleased pro-shot, I’m not a big fan of shows being released as there’s so many available out there for free.

I guess these are definitive versions in that they have all the officially released tracks from that period, but I guess as a fan I would like to see more of the “behind the curtain” stuff that we’re unlikely to have heard or seen before.

Given the band pretty much stopped putting out non-album tracks as b-sides a very long time ago and they have a very high standard which needs met for something to be released, I’m coming to terms with the fact that I’m probably never going to hear the sort of stuff that would really interest me.

Edited to say... I’m now seeing the official press for this and it talks about a host of “rarities”. For rarities, see songs which have been released to fan club members already and have been available on file sharing sites for the last 15-20 years.

Last edited:
Since this release just seems to be an excuse to get previously released stuff on Spotify it would have been nice to at least include the Tomb Raider mix of Elevation and the single version of Walk On.

Yeah, I'm surprised those are missing. Especially since Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix) was a big hit and that's probably the best-known version of the song to the general audience.

For the rest, I agree with many here that the contents are a bit meh. Apart from some remixes no additional previously unreleased content (more outtakes, early versions). And the live show was available on DVD before and is not a complete concert.
I had a similar opinion of The Joshua Tree 30th anniversary box set. Like I did for that set I'll probably pick it up when the price is right. This is not a first-day buy for me.

nobody at any level put any effort into this box set.
this is so far below the industry standard for box sets that it's insulting. U2 Corp. are being run so badly. The early 2cd reissues and the Achtung Baby box were so much better - they were great! - but they probably wouldn't have happened under the current management.

the 2cd version is particularly baffling. what's the point of releasing 70 percent of the Boston show? Why not have the b-sides and outtakes as a second disc?

I don't believe for a second that there aren't early versions and alt mixes that are worth hearing, and everyone knows about the live stuff that's out there. why not include Irving Plaza and the first post 9/11 show?

But even then, U2 bootlegs were a widely circulated and popular scene even before the internet. Unless its an unreleased pro-shot, I’m not a big fan of shows being released as there’s so many available out there for free.

I guess these are definitive versions in that they have all the officially released tracks from that period, but I guess as a fan I would like to see more of the “behind the curtain” stuff that we’re unlikely to have heard or seen before.

Given the band pretty much stopped putting out non-album tracks as b-sides a very long time ago and they have a very high standard which needs met for something to be released, I’m coming to terms with the fact that I’m probably never going to hear the sort of stuff that would really interest me.

Edited to say... I’m now seeing the official press for this and it talks about a host of “rarities”. For rarities, see songs which have been released to fan club members already and have been available on file sharing sites for the last 15-20 years.

Admittedly the tracks we're complaining about are ones that only diehards really know about and are technically rarities to the general public... but also admittedly, who besides diehards are buying huge box sets?

It's just lazy. Damn shame.

Last edited:
lol @ the contents of this set.

Not that it deserves better.

Wake me up when Bomb 20th happens. Or better yet, Zooropa 30.

Bomb's 20th could be interesting if we finally get a finished version of Mercy 2004 and/or more material from the scrapped 2003 Bomb ala the "Alternate" versions on Unreleased & Rare. I doubt the latter happens though.

Bomb's 20th could be interesting if we finally get a finished version of Mercy 2004 and/or more material from the scrapped 2003 Bomb ala the "Alternate" versions on Unreleased & Rare. I doubt the latter happens though.

Look, if Fleetwood Mac could insert Silver Springs into the tracklist of Rumours for its remaster and make it official canon, there’s no reason U2 can’t do the same with Mercy.

Wrong again u2!! Was very excited when I heard the rumours. Now we get a big sized box with only 4, yes FOUR(!!!!!)new mixes. That's some achievement.

They sell the same stuff again and again. They should listen to the start oftheir remix-video for Numb.

No respect for fans, it's for the money again.... o yes, of course, how stupid I am...

Where has this great innovative band gone..
Now they've got the title of most irrelevant band of the year.

Last edited:
Anyone know where I can download the complete u2 so I can get me the single versions of Walk On and Elevation?

I would assume this box set is unabashedly for completists. Otherwise there's no point in investing in this collection. Maybe Bomb's box will be better in 2024. :wink:

Things I am happy about:

- Regardless of the lost opportunity for something else, having the Boston show on vinyl
- having the b sides etc (especially Stateless) on vinyl
- new remixes. This period is THE WORST for U2 remixes. Everything is the same fucking Paul Oakenfold beat.
- the packaging

Things I am not happy about:

- no new demos/outtakes
- not all the b sides or single versions
- no new live material

On the whole it is quite disappointing, but not so disappointing that I won’t buy it because of the points mentioned above. This was the absolute very bottom of the barrel in terms of potential for this set - such a shame.

Back
Top Bottom