ATYCLB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My alternate version:

1) Beautiful Day
2) Stuck in a Moment
3) When I Look At The World
4) Stateless
5) Peace on Earth
6) The Ground Beneath Her Feet
7) Levitate
8) The Hands That Built America (I don't care that it came out three years later)
10) Wild Honey
11) Elevation
12) Kite
13) Walk On (either version)

About ATYCLB: Having been a U2 fan for over a decade, I was skeptical if they could still cut it on record as they hit their 40s -- the Pop project had been not so much disappointing as overlooked by people my age (21 when Pop came out). We were into newer, younger, guitar bands at that time and U2 suddenly seemed really old and unhip (and dressed like the Village People) in 1997. It's since become fashionable to argue that they were "ahead of their time" with Pop, but I really thought they were behind the times. The whole, let's be ironic and look self-consciously silly while evoking the 70s thing had come and gone through the early 90s, and U2 showed their age in the late 90s.

When I first heard ATYCLB, in Taiwan, in late 2000, I dismissed it -- not because they were getting on a bit, but because of the weird production and mixing which sounded like a Boy Band with guitars. After a couple of months of the album sitting unplayed somewhere, I dug it out and got into it. Finally, I could appreciate it. It does hang together well as an album, and it's very easy on the ears, not alway a bad thing.

Just for the record, I love "Wild Honey." The part that gets me is the "Did I know you... before the clocks kept time / before the world was made?" line. It's very touching.

ATYCLB was an overreaction to the commercial failure and unfinished business that was POP. It fell too much on the safe side. Again, it was an overreaction as opposed to being a follow-up album. U2 recorded ATYCLB with fixing POP on their minds.

I love ATYCLB plus it is the first U2 album I ever heard - it's what got me hooked to U2. I remember seeing the Elevation music video with Lara Croft (at the time a huge Tomb Raider fan :D) and with U2 fighting themselves and I thought it looked absolutely awesome! The song, the video, everything. I remember asking my sister (who watched MTV a lot and knew nearly all the music artists who were on there) who they were, and she said U2. So I rushed to my computer to search for them on the web, maybe find their homepage or something, but the first time I heard it, I typed "YouToo" I had no idea how it was spelt, and finally figured out it was U2. :D

ATYCLB wasn't actually the first album I heard, I think it was the 1990-2000 top hits album, but I went back to listen to ATYCLB because it had Elevation on it. Plus ATYCLB is a proper Album and 1990-2000 isn't, so... :lol:

Up to that point, I wasn't into music very much at all. I also was going through a terrible spout of depression as a youngster, and I think discovering U2 kinda saved me a little from myself, which is why I always have a place in my heart for ATYCLB :wink:

Big Girls Are Best as insane as it may sound is probably the best song from the ATYCLB era. I used to hate it but listening to it again last week changed my mind.

I hate it when U2 don't realise their best songs.

Sometime in 2130 when all the members of u2 have died, their sons will realise the best U2 album ever. Made up of songs that didn't make albums.

Just like Elvis and The Beatles have had post humerous No 1s, so will U2.

Big Girls are Best will go straight to No 1 in 2130.

I hate it when U2 don't realise their best songs.

Sometime in 2130 when all the members of u2 have died, their sons will realise the best U2 album ever. Made up of songs that didn't make albums.

Just like Elvis and The Beatles have had post humerous No 1s, so will U2.

Big Girls are Best will go straight to No 1 in 2130.

I don't think 130 year olds would be able to make very coherent compilations, I'd stick that job to the great grandsons instead.

Thanks Punk. I will keep that in mind when I am dribbling from the mouth and talking incoherently when U2 win their 115th Grammy in 2130.

Dammit, Bottle Bono, if we wanted to read U2 quotes we'd all go to atU2.com and press F5 for an hour.

:lmao:

The Ground Beneath Her Feet is amazing. It should have been fully on the album.

It's on mine :madspit:

ATYCLB was an overreaction to the commercial failure and unfinished business that was POP. It fell too much on the safe side. Again, it was an overreaction as opposed to being a follow-up album. U2 recorded ATYCLB with fixing POP on their minds.

I love reading this comments :love:

The Ground Beneath Her Feet, In A Little While, Stuck and Beautiful Day are good enough to be up their with U2's best, Kite and New York are also very good, the rest....I'm not so keen on.

Fine :rolleyes:

Beautiful Day 10
Stuck in a Moment 10
Elevation 7
Walk On 10
Kite 10
In a Little While 9
Wild Honey 7
Peace on Earth 7
New York 8
When I Look at the World 10
Grace 7
The Ground Beneath Her Feet 10

ATYCLB is a great, great album
the 2nd half of course isn't as good as the first half but it adds texture

I think Peace on Earth is criminally underrated

I see where you're coming from.

A lot of time, ATYCLB and HTDAAB get a lot of hate around here because they ushered in the return of "Safe" U2, with big, simple anthems and not much "challenging" or "experimental" material.

But personally, I take the album for what it is: a collection of unfuckingbelievable songs.

The only real weak link on the album is When I Look At The World, in my opinion. Also, it is a bit of a "sunny day" album. Can't listen to it in inclement weather.

Even the occasional "weak" couplet (A mole! Digging in a hole!) only serves to make the album stronger, in a weird way: simple lyrics for simple songs about simple, yet important themes.

ATYCLB is talked about like a return to the "old" U2, but I think that's bullshit because it doesn't sound like any "old" U2 record. The Joshua Tree U2 could never make that album. Boy-era U2 could never make that album. It truly is a product of the evolution of U2 and it truly is a "third" era of U2, rather than a return to anything.

But to reply to your thread, I'll just say: Yeah, I love it too.

I have to add one more reply to say this:

I love Wild Honey.

It gets hated on SO much, even by the band (Larry hates the song).

But it, to me, is one of my favorites. A pure piece of fun, romantic summer love. Light and breezy. Fantastic melodies. And the middle, minor key section into the huge last chorus is one of my favorite U2 moments ever. Bono's "opera" singing is beautiful on this one.

Love Wild Honey.

'Flower Child' is alright, but it isn't as complex emotionally as 'Wild Honey'. 'Flower Child' just sort of plods along with no highs or lows. 'Wild Honey' on the other hand really gets you drifting to those times in your life when things were innocent and anything was possible.... There is a joy and a sadness in 'Wild Honey' that somehow epitomizes the distances between love come and gone, and love grown.

Every song on Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree is an experience.

Even Rattle and Hum, excluding the live tracks, takes us some place or else finishing with the classic "All I Want is You".

Zooropa is a fun fest for McPhisto.

Pop is an unfinished masterpiece.

ATYLB has a lot of highs but a lot of what I would call, in the record industry, “Product”!:hug:

A lot of time, ATYCLB and HTDAAB get a lot of hate around here because they ushered in the return of "Safe" U2, with big, simple anthems and not much "challenging" or "experimental" material.

But personally, I take the album for what it is: a collection of unfuckingbelievable songs.

Personally, the whole "safe" thing takes a back seat to the terrible sound of the album and terrible songs. I've always been so turned off by the sound of the record. Then we have the songs. Here is how I'd rate them out of ten:

1. Beautiful Day 2
2. Stuck 3
3. Elevation 4
4. Walk On 3
5. Kite 4
6. In A Little While 2
7. Wild Honey 2
8. Peace On Earth 6
9. When I Look At The World 6
10. New York 3
11. Grace 2

More than going mainstream, the poor songs are the problem.

Love listening to ATYCLB. It's definatley easy listening, with songs like Walk On, In a Little While, and Beautiful Day that is what keeps me going back.

:heart: :heart: And love is not the easy thing
The only baggage that you can bring...
And love is not the easy thing...
The only baggage you can bring
Is all that you can't leave behind :heart::heart:

It's like it's disowned brother 'POP'. All over the place.
And HTDAAB, well let's just say the tradition continued.

If I hope for one thing on this next album, it's that some kind of consistency wins out.

It's like it's disowned brother 'POP'. All over the place.
And HTDAAB, well let's just say the tradition continued.

If I hope for one thing on this next album, it's that some kind of consistency wins out.

I would argue that the first 7 songs on ATYCLB have more consistency than any other 7 song string on any U2 album. I would also argue that despite Atomic Bomb not offering anything super stellar, it is probably their most consistently "good" album to date in terms of each song being quite solid. U2's earlier albums (up to about The Unforgettable Fire) were far more hit and miss when it came to good vs undisciplined songwriting.

I would argue that the first 7 songs on ATYCLB have more consistency than any other 7 song string on any U2 album.

You can argue anything for the thrill of it.

War, Joshua Tree and AB for starters are all more consistent albums.

Rattle and Hum, if you take out the live stuff, is also a more consistent album.

Personally, the whole "safe" thing takes a back seat to the terrible sound of the album and terrible songs. I've always been so turned off by the sound of the record. Then we have the songs. Here is how I'd rate them out of ten:

1. Beautiful Day 2
2. Stuck 3
3. Elevation 4
4. Walk On 3
5. Kite 4
6. In A Little While 2
7. Wild Honey 2
8. Peace On Earth 6
9. When I Look At The World 6
10. New York 3
11. Grace 2

More than going mainstream, the poor songs are the problem.

Beautiful Day a 2? Elevation a 4, equal to Kite? I know we all have opinions, but yours are awesome :applaud:

I would argue that the first 7 songs on ATYCLB have more consistency than any other 7 song string on any U2 album. I would also argue that despite Atomic Bomb not offering anything super stellar, it is probably their most consistently "good" album to date in terms of each song being quite solid. U2's earlier albums (up to about The Unforgettable Fire) were far more hit and miss when it came to good vs undisciplined songwriting.

I have to disagree.

Even Better-One-UTEOTW-Horses-So Cruel-The Fly-Mysterious is tremendous. Every song on AB is great.

Discotheque-DYFL-Mofo-If God-Staring-LNOE-Gone is great as well.

Not to mention Streets-Still-WOWY-Bullet-RTSS-RHMT-IGC.

I like BD-Stuck-Elevation-WO-Kite-IALW-Wild Honey, but to me, it's not nearly as strong as those.

All imo of course.

I have to disagree.

Even Better-One-UTEOTW-Horses-So Cruel-The Fly-Mysterious is tremendous. Every song on AB is great.

Discotheque-DYFL-Mofo-If God-Staring-LNOE-Gone is great as well.

Not to mention Streets-Still-WOWY-Bullet-RTSS-RHMT-IGC.

I like BD-Stuck-Elevation-WO-Kite-IALW-Wild Honey, but to me, it's not nearly as strong as those.

All imo of course.

I'd also throw in the first seven songs of Zooropa.

Hell there is even a seven song stretch on the bonus disc of The Best of 1980-1990 that is far better.

Love Comes Tumbling - (version II)
Bass Trap - (instrumental)
Dancing Barefoot
Everlasting Love
Unchained Melody
Walk To The Water
Luminous Times (Hold On To Love)

Another on The Joshua Tree remaster:

Luminous Times (Hold On To Love)
Walk To The Water
Spanish Eyes
Deep In The Heart