At U2 has been shut down - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-04-2021, 02:36 PM   #101
Refugee
 
DeVaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 2,097
Local Time: 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I don't know, seeing Best Thing, Get Out, and American Soul released as singles despite being the three worst songs on the album would be enough to disillusion anyone.


It was the tour tee designs
__________________

DeVaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:50 PM   #102
Blue Crack Addict
 
Vlad n U 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 28,360
Local Time: 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Island View Post
He obsessed with another, completely mediocre, band iirc. I think they're a religious band, but not Christian Rock. I might be making that part up, though. Isn't McGee a religious nut?

Fairly sure he is/was a Republican.
__________________

Vlad n U 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 09:40 PM   #103
New Yorker
 
Hollow Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,533
Local Time: 09:39 AM


Did he just realize that U2 were left-leaning bleeding hearts?

That explains "no talking politics" rule that came in after Trump was elected.
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:14 PM   #104
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 40,714
Local Time: 05:39 AM
Wow, sure glad I was never a member of that forum.

more like M@G@U2, amirite??
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:38 AM   #105
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 17,505
Local Time: 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
wow, sure glad i was never a member of that forum.

More like m@g@u2, amirite??


Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1133.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	12742
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:53 PM   #106
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 40,714
Local Time: 05:39 AM
Can’t wait for the 30th anniversary ZoolandTV tour!
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 01:10 PM   #107
New Yorker
 
Hollow Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,533
Local Time: 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Wow, sure glad I was never a member of that forum.

more like M@G@U2, amirite??

you'd get banned for criticizing Trump or for calling racists "racists." it was hilarious.
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:48 PM   #108
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 40,714
Local Time: 05:39 AM
That’s nuts. Fuck him and anyone who was ok with that.

Good riddance. We may be a tough crowd here but at least most of us aren’t opposed to the core values of the band we’re here for.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:48 PM   #109
Refugee
 
DeVaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 2,097
Local Time: 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
That’s nuts. Fuck him and anyone who was ok with that.

Good riddance. We may be a tough crowd here but at least most of us aren’t opposed to the core values of the band we’re here for.


Yeah, we may be a bunch of assholes but we’re not dicks about it.
DeVaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:28 PM   #110
Y2K
Refugee
 
Y2K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,318
Local Time: 08:39 AM
I don't know that it's fair to label Matt McGee some kind of MAGA sympathesizer:

Quote:
Worse, the live shows weren’t clicking for me, either. As I mentioned above, it was way too over-the-top political. And I don’t mean that in an I-disagree-with-what-they’re-saying way — I didn’t vote for our current president and think he’s an awful president (and worse human being). I mean it in the sense of … I was getting barraged 24/7 by politics, to the point where I had to rethink my entire approach to social media a couple years ago. I needed something else from U2 — an escape, something to take me away from all the B.S. going on in the real world. Instead, they hit me over the head with it for 3 hours during every show I saw on both the Joshua Tree 2017 tour and the Songs of Experience tour in 2018.
https://www.mattmcgee.com/what-happened-with-u2-and-me/

And for the record, he said that his new favorite band is Gang of Youths.
Y2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:54 AM   #111
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: mar-a-lago delenda est
Posts: 21,446
Local Time: 08:39 AM
we had at least half a dozen "U2 suddenly became way too political for me, don't shove it down our throats" posters in FYM in 2015-17. surprise surprise, they were all trumpists!

i'm sure this guy is different, though.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 03:15 AM   #112
War Child
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 673
Local Time: 02:39 PM
“During the whole 3 hours” is a bit rich - the one SOE show I saw, the politics was more or less restricted to the Acrobat intro and some visuals in SATS and Pride. It was there, because they’re U2 and they do that, but you weren’t beaten over the head with it.
tommycharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:21 AM   #113
Refugee
 
U2387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,289
Local Time: 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommycharles View Post
“During the whole 3 hours” is a bit rich - the one SOE show I saw, the politics was more or less restricted to the Acrobat intro and some visuals in SATS and Pride. It was there, because they’re U2 and they do that, but you weren’t beaten over the head with it.
Absolutely! Acrobat intro and SATS/Pride represented about 10 minutes of the entire show.

Though JT was definitely more overtly political- through the show and in the band members' stated intentions for the tour- you still weren't hit over the head with it for anywhere near the majority of the show.

The only thing that should've even been close to controversial with some people was the trackdown video explicitly mentioning lying Trump (putting aside the fact that there's nothing wrong with stating a well proven fact, lol).

The rest, if anyone has a problem, I've got to laugh, I really do. If people object to U2 pointing out America's bipartisan (though far from perfect) story of welcoming immigrants, of celebrating civil rights and equality, of upholding the dignity of workers and giving a damn about things that happen abroad (global health, poverty, refugees), two things are pretty clear:

1) They are a Trump supporters who are just fine with the fact that he is opposed to all of these previously non controversial values. Maybe you're a little uncomfortable with it being pointed out, but reality is reality.

2) They're projecting something onto the band that they've never been about. "I want to escape from politics at the shows...." Yeah, you're going to have to find a different band for that.

Nothing blows my mind more than older U2 fans who had no problem with the 1980s political U2 (far more controversial and in your face) all of a sudden taking issue with "being beaten over the head with politics" at shows.

I'd have far more respect for them if they were just honest and said they were right leaning these days and took issue with U2 being the left leaning folks they always have been. Leave aside the debate as to why their politics changed, etc, all good, it's a free world for the most part. But let's be honest here, it's not the band that's changed.

I often hear, mostly from 50+ male U2 fans after shows "great show, but it was too goddamn political." Everything is political. Bono is 100% right about that, and he made it as clear as he ever has in an interview around the time of the SOE release. I'd much rather they say "it was too goddamn liberal" or better yet "it seemed to attack my boy Trump by placing him in contrast to people like Reagan and Kennedy."

That way, we'd know where these critics stand. The fact that they don't frame it that way speaks volumes.
U2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:25 AM   #114
New Yorker
 
Hollow Island's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,533
Local Time: 09:39 AM
Ah, U2. Classic escapist entertainment. It's a shame that they suddenly became political. If only they'd go back to the simple, fun days that were preserved for eternity in Rattle and Hum.
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:09 AM   #115
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 40,714
Local Time: 05:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2387 View Post
Absolutely! Acrobat intro and SATS/Pride represented about 10 minutes of the entire show.

Though JT was definitely more overtly political- through the show and in the band members' stated intentions for the tour- you still weren't hit over the head with it for anywhere near the majority of the show.

The only thing that should've even been close to controversial with some people was the trackdown video explicitly mentioning lying Trump (putting aside the fact that there's nothing wrong with stating a well proven fact, lol).

The rest, if anyone has a problem, I've got to laugh, I really do. If people object to U2 pointing out America's bipartisan (though far from perfect) story of welcoming immigrants, of celebrating civil rights and equality, of upholding the dignity of workers and giving a damn about things that happen abroad (global health, poverty, refugees), two things are pretty clear:

1) They are a Trump supporters who are just fine with the fact that he is opposed to all of these previously non controversial values. Maybe you're a little uncomfortable with it being pointed out, but reality is reality.

2) They're projecting something onto the band that they've never been about. "I want to escape from politics at the shows...." Yeah, you're going to have to find a different band for that.

Nothing blows my mind more than older U2 fans who had no problem with the 1980s political U2 (far more controversial and in your face) all of a sudden taking issue with "being beaten over the head with politics" at shows.

I'd have far more respect for them if they were just honest and said they were right leaning these days and took issue with U2 being the left leaning folks they always have been. Leave aside the debate as to why their politics changed, etc, all good, it's a free world for the most part. But let's be honest here, it's not the band that's changed.

I often hear, mostly from 50+ male U2 fans after shows "great show, but it was too goddamn political." Everything is political. Bono is 100% right about that, and he made it as clear as he ever has in an interview around the time of the SOE release. I'd much rather they say "it was too goddamn liberal" or better yet "it seemed to attack my boy Trump by placing him in contrast to people like Reagan and Kennedy."

That way, we'd know where these critics stand. The fact that they don't frame it that way speaks volumes.
You nailed it.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:40 AM   #116
Blue Crack Addict
 
LuckyNumber7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 17,505
Local Time: 08:39 AM
I’ve seen every tour multiple times since my adulthood began at the end of the 2000s and I’ve never felt U2 was particularly American-political (“Ted Cruz in the house!”).

It was always my feeling that they weren’t even remotely political enough against Donald Trump, which irked me to no end.
LuckyNumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:34 PM   #117
Refugee
 
DeVaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 2,097
Local Time: 09:39 AM
Compared to what Roger Waters did, they were wimps. They did everything possible not to offend their fanbase, to the JT30 tour’s detriment IMO.
DeVaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:22 PM   #118
War Child
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 673
Local Time: 02:39 PM
At the SOE show I saw (in Omaha NE), B made a quick comment about gun control, I think in the speech before One, and I thought it was one of his more well thought through comments, it was something like “as an outsider looking in, we just find all these guns really hard to understand.” It was a nice way to poke your audience into thinking about their beliefs a bit without saying “you stupid hicks” or whatever.
tommycharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:00 AM   #119
War Child
 
pacemaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 662
Local Time: 08:39 AM
At the Pittsburgh JT30, I was standing behind three or four women who (trying not to be mean, but were very archetypal MAGA types) starting flicking the band off and yelling "Fuck YOUUUUU!!!!!" during Ultraviolet's tribute to women. America is, much like Mona Lisa Sapperstein, the wwwooooOOoOOoOOooorrrrssssssttttttttttttt.
pacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:25 AM   #120
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 33,134
Local Time: 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacemaker View Post
At the Pittsburgh JT30, I was standing behind three or four women who (trying not to be mean, but were very archetypal MAGA types) starting flicking the band off and yelling "Fuck YOUUUUU!!!!!" during Ultraviolet's tribute to women. America is, much like Mona Lisa Sapperstein, the wwwooooOOoOOoOOooorrrrssssssttttttttttttt.


it's ok. you can be mean when it comes to MAGA women booing other women. there's no sympathy left for these folks after yesterday. or even before.



anyway, i think JT, given it's gigantic stadiums and scope of it's markets, and the fact that it was before, say, throwing children in cages, was a plea to come together and recognize the humanity in the other side. this was back when we were explaining Trumpism as an "expression of economic insecurity" or something.

by the time e/i came around, and with smaller audiences and bigger Trump atrocities, i thought they were much more political and much more anti-fascist. i've seen every tour since 1997 and this was easily the most political i'd seen them, and i walked out of both shows ready to punch some Nazis.
__________________

Irvine511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×