As found on @U2...In Defense of Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
O

October1977

I've been lurking for a long time (since '04, mostly without a handle) and just haven't posted anything in fear of not really having anything to add. But to defend my lurking and lack of posting history let me just say this is the best place to get the latest information. Period....and I think I'm addicted. But that's another topic.

While reading that "other" U2 site, on the first page this morning they have the "In Defense of Bono" article (linked below). I have to say that article made me want to finally post something even if the only purpose is to point it out. I've had to defend Bono many times to friends who criticize and call him a hypocrit. The guy is not a saint and to his credit he isn't trying to be and is quite frankly more honest about the irony of his position then any other public figure that comes to mind. I won't babble on, but suffice to say I agree with this article and just wanted to point it out. My only objection is the need to constantly point out Bono's glasses, etc. That stuff doesn't bother me in the least. It's his gig, his life, his image and we shouldn't feel the need to concede points about those things to anyone.

...back to my cave.

@U2: In Defense Of Bono | U2 news article from @U2

Original: In Defense Of Bono | NBC Philadelphia

People will always criticise him. I find that it's no use trying to defend him against 'frieds' and other people. Just let them talk, one ear in, one ear out, as we say here. It saves you a lot of wasted time.

Thanks for the heads up to that article. An interesting read.
Though that article is incorrect on (at least) one account. Bono show up in the tabloids and gossip columns with supermodels.

The bastard!
:wink:

Hi October1977 :wave: Welcome aboard, right now is a great time to jump in and get involved, don't be shy.

Really enjoyed the article, well argued with many pertinent points made. Thanks for posting.

On the whole I tend to find most criticism of U2 and Bono in particular as pretty ignorant and ill-informed, if they actually took the time to listen to some of his idea's they'd see just how canny and perceptive he is. Yeah he's not perfect and sometimes I cringe a little at the things he says and does, but he's a far better role model than most other rock stars out there.

i liked the article.
while i admire him greatly, i sometimes struggle with the perception those close to me have of him. let's face it, to be exposed in any form to U2 is to get a heavy dose of bono. he dominates the U2 world as well as other forms of media quite frequently. I applaud the rest of U2 and the rest of the production team that has to accommodate (and presumably tolerate) lots of bono's world much of the time. I wouldn't really change anything signficant however. I think he is an extraordinary human being. I even like the shades, always have.

ETA: I have even stopped cringing. For the most part.

:wave:

thanks for the link
not a bad little read really :) - you should come out of your cave more often :)

I've given up defending Bono too . . . naysayers be damned really, they'll never be convinced . . . the level of vitriol thrown at him sometimes startles me but :shrug: . . . isn't there a quote / saying out there that our greatest strengths can also be our greatest weakness' ? maybe that's what people see as the hypocrisy?

Thanks for the link. Nice read... Bono is a great man, although he admits that he has an ego. He is certainly an interesting character.

And welcome to the world of posting!

I've read the article earlier today, thanks for posting the link!

I don't think Bono needs defense. There will always be people who find his sheer existance in the world unbearable. There is so much ignorance out there. If you are as famous and successful as Bono, you will always polarize and there is a lot of jealousy. I've given up on that a long time ago. I like Bono and the band and that's all that matters to me.

I've been lurking for a long time (since '04, mostly without a handle) and just haven't posted anything in fear of not really having anything to add.

Hey that's never stopped any of the rest of us from posting! ;)

:wave:

I think that the fact that Bono is so outspoken and active (he seems to be everywhere sometimes) draws a lot of criticism, more than if he was a more reclusive person (like Larry).

But, on the other hand, I also get fed up with some of the ridiculous things people come up with when they criticize Bono. It's as if they really don't know anything about him at all (most of the time they don't), other than the fact that he is rich and wants to help poor people, which they see as hypocritical.

That's a lot more than most rock stars do; he could be one of those shriveled-up, drug-snorting, STD-carrying performers that are always getting into the tabloids for doing stupid things, but he's not.

Can someone tell me what exactly the times had to correct from his piece?

Thanks.

Can someone tell me what exactly the times had to correct from his piece?

Thanks.

Just go back to the blog and look, the correction is at the bottom. I think it was about who was the arranger? of one of the "My Way" versions he was talking about.

Dana

He'll always be a target, but he is so sincere...why else would be do what he does? He's seen these horrors in Africa first hand, he's wants to help them out and hell, I'm with him all the way...

People will always criticise him. I find that it's no use trying to defend him against 'frieds' and other people. Just let them talk, one ear in, one ear out, as we say here. It saves you a lot of wasted time.

It will get down right venomous. But you will find your own voice, and so far you already have.
Say what you want to say. No one can hurt you and the one's that don't think as you do -hey, they can't hurt you either.

What a novel and commendable thought.
October1977, I can already tell I like you.

Welcome.. :wave:

Hey that's never stopped any of the rest of us from posting! ;)

Exactly.. :up:

Back
Top Bottom