Aretha Franklin with Metallica and U2 MSG October 30th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a huge fan of Metallica. I think I love them as much as I love U2. They are an amazing band. If they shared the stage with U2 I could die and go o heaven. I want that to happen. I want them to play together. They rock differently but they think very much alike. James Hetfield playing while Bono is singing? Adam playing a bass line in front of Lars? Larry and Rob locking in a beat? Edge and Kirk complementing each other with licks? Fucking paradise that would be for me.

Amen!

For what it's worth, Lars is not the only U2 fan in the band (though he's the most vocal - if you ever hear him talk about Red Rocks or Achtung Baby, you'd swear he was one of us). I remember at the VH1 Big in 200(0? 1?), James was vocally excited about seeing U2 in an interview. I really wish I could find that on youtube or something.

I do enjoy both bands quite a bit, and there may be something in there that would work, but I don't know that a collaboration is that necessary. James could sing HMTMKMKM, though, and maybe Kirk could add a wicked solo...

Update on October Rock and Roll Hall of fame re: what U2 plays

From atu2.com

"Already thinking ahead to the landmark Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25th anniversary concerts that U2 are set to participate in this fall, I’m growing excited. Each of the two 5-hour shows will include some of the greatest acts of all time and be hosted by consummate actor Tom Hanks.

But forget about hearing U2 burst out with “Breathe” or “Magnificent.” There are hints that old favorites are on the roster—plus a few surprises.

Jann Wenner, co-founder of the Rock Hall, is recently quoted as saying “Artists will play their own hit songs and perform tracks which inspired them.”

I predict that we can count on a few of the “standards” from the U2 catalog (”Sunday Bloody Sunday” or “One,” etc.), but what cover(s) will they perform? “Can’t Help Falling in Love?” “Helter Skelter?” I would imagine we’ll get something by Elvis or The Beatles, but wouldn’t it be cool if they blasted out some Led Zeppelin or another legendary artist that we haven’t heard them emulate?

If you have any ideas about what non-U2 songs they may pull out of the hat, I’d love to hear your predictions in the comments field."

:hmm: So what's your bet on the covers ? U2's talked up anyone from Lennon/Beatles/Who/Ramones/Stones/Bowie/Reed... in the time of their career, as well as already covering most of these names.

How many songs can they play in total? Expect the U2 songs to be drawn from a pool of:

Streets / ISHFWILF / One / Pride / Beautiful Day / Vertigo / Elevation / Sunday Bloody Sunday / Bad (would take this above pretty much all of these)

Covers? Hopefully Beatles, Elvis, maybe a bit of Dylan? They'll play it safe-ish to make sure they don't screw up the performance.

*smackshead Right...Dylan and Elvis are contenders too.

Would they used a tried and tested cover ?

I'd pass out if they play something off SOA. :wink:

Tickets still available for US $2,504.50 :|

Yep and its because their adding a Big Name act which is bigger than U2 and Metallica! If they do announce it the $2,504.50 seats will be gone! Its not the Rolling Stones I promise you that. It's a big rumor in the music business industry so U2 and Metallica will be run over by this act.

Yep and its because their adding a Big Name act which is bigger than U2 and Metallica! If they do announce it the $2,504.50 seats will be gone! Its not the Rolling Stones I promise you that. It's a big rumor in the music business industry so U2 and Metallica will be run over by this act.

Pink Floyd... Led Zepplin? You can't mean Madonna or Prince?

And is it really suppose to be 5 hrs? Where can I read more about this? Thanks!

Pink Floyd... Led Zepplin? You can't mean Madonna or Prince?

And is it really suppose to be 5 hrs? Where can I read more about this? Thanks!

Assuming that rumour is true, I was thinking more along the lines of a surviving Beatle...or two.

U2 to play Rock Hall 25th Anniversary show at MSG - October 30, 2009

Mods, please move to an appropriate thread or section as this may not be the most appropriate place for this post, yet I cannot seem to locate any other appropriate place....furthermore, extensive searches failed to find anything of relevance to this post....

nonetheless....

as noted on U2, Springsteen to play Rock Hall 25th Anniversary shows >> LiveDaily

Bruce Springsteen [ tickets ] & The E Street Band, U2 [ tickets ], Metallica [ tickets ], Stevie Wonder [ tickets ] and Paul Simon [ tickets ] are among the artists tabbed to perform at a pair of shows this fall celebrating the 25th anniversary of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The concerts, which will take place Oct. 29 and 30 at New York's Madison Square Garden, will also feature Crosby, Stills, Nash & Friends, Aretha Franklin [ tickets ], and Eric Clapton [ tickets ], as well as Simon performing a separate set with his old partner, Art Garfunkel. A list of performers at each show is included below.
Proceeds from the shows, which will be helmed by Joel Gallen, director and producer of the Hall's regular induction ceremonies, and the MTV Movie Awards for almost a decade (1996-2005), will go towards creating a permanent endowment for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation and Museum, according to a press release.

Tickets for the concerts go on sale to the general public Aug. 3 at 9 a.m. EDT, with a special pre-sale for American Express Cardmembers beginning July 27 and running through Aug. 2. Special VIP packages ranging from $750 to $5,000 are also available through Ticketmaster. (LiveDaily is an operating unit of Ticketmaster Entertainment, which also owns Ticketmaster.)

Four hours of highlights from the shows will be culled for a special to be broadcast on HBO in November. The concerts will curated by an all-star creative team including Tom Hanks, Rolling Stone publisher Jann Wenner, and former Band member Robbie Robertson to tell the story of rock and roll through live performances and filmed segments, according to a press release.

The anniversary celebration will extend beyond the two October concerts, with plans in the works for both a book and a deluxe DVD set to be released this fall. The book, "The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: The First 25 Years," will be published in September by Collins Design (an imprint of HarperCollins), while Time Life will issue a nine-DVD boxed set of highlights of past induction ceremonies in August.

October 29 concert
Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
Simon & Garfunkel [ tickets ]
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Friends
Paul Simon
Stevie Wonder

October 30 concert
Eric Clapton
Aretha Franklin
Metallica
U2

:ohmy:

Metallica taking the same stage as U2?

Old news, we've known since late July. Think there was a thread in EYKIW somewhere about it ...

Back
Top Bottom