Are there things U2 won't sign?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jen McColley

Babyface
Hey all

I have a question about things the band will and will not sign. When I was in NY, and met Bono, it seemed that there were things he would sign and not. For example someone handed him a book and he said "I can't sign that", but he'd sign a ticket. I had a t-shirt that we made and he wouldn't sign it.

Anyone have insight?

Maybe it was an unauthorized biography/book or something? :hmm:

I know if you had a handful of stuff with you they won't sign any of it.
Big poster sized photos they won't sign either. There was a guy in London who had 3 or 4 and Larry told him fuck off :lol:

Larry wouldn't sign anything here in the US :rolleyes:
No, he actually did sign a couple during the Letterman week-long events. I mean a COUPLE (read: TWO) items. Then he stopped signing. I don't know why he chose those first two items. I know one of them was the Best of 1990-2000 CD.

Once Bono wouldn't sign a blank photo paper shoved at him. It was obvious the obnoxious guy carrying it was someone who would then print out Bono's picture on it and then sell it on ebay or something. When the guy started squishing us against the rail to still try to get to Bono, his bodyguard had to tell him to back off.

But I don't know why he wouldn't sign a book or your shirt... maybe waynetravis is right, maybe because they're not official?

At SNL I brought my U2 scrapbook with me, almost got it ruined because of the rain, and I got The Edge to sign the page with their picture during the unveiling of U2 Way ceremony back in March. When I gave him the page to sign, he looked at the picture for a second and then sign it, and tried to wipe some of the rain droplets from the picture. :heart:

I know they sign albums. If you give them anything ranging from Boy to NLOTH, they will sign it.

Bono will always sign your naked skin :sexywink:

Seriously, I think sometimes they just know or think certain people are not really fans but ebayers who will sell the stuff if they sign it. After all these years I guess the band members have a good sense regarding these people. I read about one occassion, don't know which one it was, where Bono signed some guy's stuff and wrote on it: Donate the money.

Seriously, I think sometimes they just know or think certain people are not really fans but ebayers who will sell the stuff if they sign it. After all these years I guess the band members have a good sense regarding these people. I read about one occassion, don't know which one it was, where Bono signed some guy's stuff and wrote on it: Donate the money.

I think that's it, I'm sure that after all these years they can tell with fairly good accuracy who's legit and who's not.

They signed an unofficial print of the band for me. Not only did they sign it, it became quite the conversation piece, Bono showed it to John and his driver, lol. It was like a print of a drawing of the band, and they all wanted to know if I'd done it (as if, I can barely draw a straight line). Then he noticed that I was holding "Bono: In Conversation" in my hand, for a hard surface for him to write on. When he saw it, he offered to sign that too - I was happy enough to get one thing signed, it didn't even occur to me to want a second.

So yeah, they can tell real fans from resellers.

Bono will always sign your naked skin :sexywink:

Go Bono :lol:

simply ask "can you sign this Paul Hewson"...Bono should stop, chuckle and then sign anything you have. Or say "we love you up in Northern Canada, come more often, we have wonderful beer"...

When I met them in March outside of Letterman, Bono said he doesn't sign F'ing guitars. He said that to the guy next to me

One time I was around Bono and he signed some drawings that a guy had done and then said, "he's probably going to say I drew them." So perhaps he was afraid you were going to say he had done the drawing?
Also, I've heard him say (in an interview or something) that they don't sign guitars.

I wonder if he'd sign my copy of Viva La Vida.

wk5oqw.gif

When I met them in March outside of Letterman, Bono said he doesn't sign F'ing guitars. He said that to the guy next to me
yeah, i was waiting in line for a completely different artist and the person brought a guitar (though it wasn't an f'ing guitar) and they refused to sign it as well.

as others have said, i think as long as it's obvious you want it for your collection and not to sell on ebay, they'll sign anything.

Will they sign their cds on the paper/jacket inserts?

I only had the luxury of meeting The Edge back in 1997 after a PopMart show in Chicago. Fans were very strict with rules. We were actually outside their hotel (stalkers!) and everyone agreed that if a U2 member were to greet us, we should line up in a single file allowing the member to walk down and sign. We were to ask and be grateful. Quite organized for a group of fans who just met - but it worked well. Edge was the only member who came by and he signed.

I had my picture taken with him (and it was a good pic too! Joy!) and he signed the insert of my "Pop" CD. I was hoping to have each member sign on his face. Since I only met The Edge, that was what was signed. Edge drew glasses around his eyes and signed his face.

Bottom line, CD inserts are signed!

Now I'm too old and lazy to wait around trying to get a signature. LOL! But I did frame the picture and signature I have.

Back
Top Bottom