Are there things U2 won't sign?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono signed a picture I took of him performing at the US Festival in 1983. Did not seem to have a problem with it (if he even noticed what he was signing). E-Bay did not exist in those days, and pictures of U2 where not worth much then either. :D

When U2 by U2 came out and the band were doing book signings, people were saying that Bono and/or Larry were drawing an X instead of their names on books brought to them by suspected eBayers. I don't know how they could tell, unless the person(s) had multiple copies of the book.

Photos and CD's they've always signed. However, I have been present (Toronto, 2005) when both Bono and The Edge refused to sign a guitar. Bono's response was: I don't sign instruments!
It's possible that the guy was a legit U2 fan, but certain people give off a vibe of being an Ebay seller and the guys def. don't like those folk too much!

I only had the luxury of meeting The Edge back in 1997 after a PopMart show in Chicago. Fans were very strict with rules. We were actually outside their hotel (stalkers!) and everyone agreed that if a U2 member were to greet us, we should line up in a single file allowing the member to walk down and sign. We were to ask and be grateful. Quite organized for a group of fans who just met - but it worked well. Edge was the only member who came by and he signed.

I had my picture taken with him (and it was a good pic too! Joy!) and he signed the insert of my "Pop" CD. I was hoping to have each member sign on his face. Since I only met The Edge, that was what was signed. Edge drew glasses around his eyes and signed his face.

Bottom line, CD inserts are signed!

Now I'm too old and lazy to wait around trying to get a signature. LOL! But I did frame the picture and signature I have.

Thank you for the reply. Glad, you got to me the Edge! :wave:

Hey all

I have a question about things the band will and will not sign. When I was in NY, and met Bono, it seemed that there were things he would sign and not. For example someone handed him a book and he said "I can't sign that", but he'd sign a ticket. I had a t-shirt that we made and he wouldn't sign it.

Anyone have insight?

They have shied away from sining guitars. They save that for charity auctions. Not signing too many guitars leads the charity prices to be higher and most fans knowing that leads those in the know to not buy those list on ebay as most if not all guitars 'supposedly' signed by U2 on ebay are fraudulent.

They will not sign guitar pickguards either. I saw one autograph hound suprised that Edge wouldn't sign one. Edge knows better and knows that the 'dealer' would then put that on a cheap guitar and try to make a high price return on it.

The band are 'hip' to many of the tricks and many of the 'autograph' hounds.

I was at their hotel during Popmart and as Bono and Edge were signing, Bono looked at one guy and said "I know you", passed up by and signed for the rest of the line. His was of basically calling the guy out, knowing that the guy wasn't a fan and was only there to get a signature that he could sell.

The most valuable autographed thing I own is a first edition copy of Linda McCartney’s (Paul McCartney’s late wife)book of lithograph photos of her work when she was a rock-n-roll photographer for Rolling Stone magazine (before she married Paul).

On Sunday at Carnegie Hall, I had the setlist from East Rutherford 2 and Bono didn't sign it, but Edge and Paul McGuinness did. Bono didn't say anything, but I also had a really aggressive scalper behind me who also put his vinyl album practically on top of my setlist.

I saw Bono sign a a Gretsch at HQ. He told the guy it wasn't something he normally did.

The owner of the guitar was extremely excited about this.

Here he is.

P1000252-1.jpg

Lucky guy. :D

No guitars.

If you have a copy of Boy or War he'll draw sunglasses and/or a hat on the boy's face.

If you are a pushy scalper or ebayer ....the band can spot you a mile away.

I think I've seen them now sign a lot of stuff.

Only once, during the premier showing of It Might Get Loud at the Toronto Film Festival, Edge didn't sign anything. Rumor was Jimmy Page said he wasn't going to sign anything....so Jack Black and Edge followed suit. No biggie though. It was an experience watching the 1st run of a movie in the same room as your idol.

No guitars.

If you have a copy of Boy or War he'll draw sunglasses and/or a hat on the boy's face.

If you are a pushy scalper or ebayer ....the band can spot you a mile away.

I think I've seen them now sign a lot of stuff.

Only once, during the premier showing of It Might Get Loud at the Toronto Film Festival, Edge didn't sign anything. Rumor was Jimmy Page said he wasn't going to sign anything....so Jack Black and Edge followed suit. No biggie though. It was an experience watching the 1st run of a movie in the same room as your idol.

I remember seeing you there! I didn't know it was you at the time until months later when I randomly saw your avatar on here, but your Pop-era shirt impressed me that night lol

I got Boner, Hedge, and Paul McCockne$$ to sign my copy of James Joyce's Dubliners (on an old map of the city inside the front cover) back in 1997. So they will at least sign someone else's book. The latter told me he probably wouldn't have signed it if it was Ulysses.

No, I didn't spit in his face, but I wanted to.

Hey all

I have a question about things the band will and will not sign. When I was in NY, and met Bono, it seemed that there were things he would sign and not. For example someone handed him a book and he said "I can't sign that", but he'd sign a ticket. I had a t-shirt that we made and he wouldn't sign it.

Anyone have insight?

Bono signed my book when I saw them at Letterman. The Bono: in conversations book by Michka Assayas. He even crossed out the printed "Bono" on the title page and put his signature over the entire page, so.

If Bono has time, I think Bono likes to personalize his autograph....like making it "To Mark..."
If he doesn't have time, I think he likes to "fuck up" the picture that has been taken ex drawing Fly sunglasses on characters or horns on his head or little characters. This prevents having a dedicated ebay item.

I've also been in line and heard Edge say, "No...I've already signed something for you....".

The most impressive thing at out all of the times I've been around seeing the band sign or meet and greet is that Bono and Edge take their time and as long as people are not going crazy, they will meet and talk to everyone.

I've yet to meet or have something signed by the drummer....what's his name again ;)

Finally an Autograph

finally got his autograph outside of Carnegie Hall for the (RED) event. He came over and said "no autographs", but I had a copy of "Peter and the Wolf" that Bono did with Gavin Friday, Jordan and Eve. He saw it and signed it - then a few other things. I'd like to think its a relatively rare item to have signed, but who knows. I brought tha specifically because of the event. I wish Gavin had signed it too.

Back
Top Bottom