Are the band nearing the end of being a band or...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Is this simply the "Vertigo tour, pt. 2" happening?

I can't help but think watching videos of the i+E tour, that this may be nearing the end of their time as a band. It seems with Bono's accident, the 50/50 reception of the album the death of Dennis Sheehan, and a select amount of dates (with multiple stays) that to me, it's almost like a "One last hurrah before we go"

They couldn't top 360, and don't think they ever wanted to, but I've been noticing that they've been giving away more guitars to fans on this tour, which kind of makes me wonder if it's not almost like downsizing of some sorts. More street / cover bands being brought on stage to sing their songs, as well as bringing some fans on stage (even during Streets) -- wonder if it's not bittersweet moments that they're creating.

Although it was reported today that they have another album in creation, is this simply a 'testing the waters' again or the 'reapplying for the biggest band in the world job' that they did with All That You Can't Leave Behind? As much as I liked the Vertigo tour, it definitely had it's awkward moments and Bono's voice definitely had it's highs and lows, but then they came back better than ever on the 360 tour.

Only my two cents, speculation here, I'm an avid fan and love the band immensely.

Yep...clearly.

Not like they just shot the cover for a new album or anything.

Band is definitely about to call it quits.

If by "about to" you mean "in the next 10 years," then I might be inclined to say yes. These guys do work at a snail's pace, even at the process of retiring.

Is this simply the "Vertigo tour, pt. 2" happening?

I can't help but think watching videos of the i+E tour, that this may be nearing the end of their time as a band. It seems with Bono's accident, the 50/50 reception of the album the death of Dennis Sheehan, and a select amount of dates (with multiple stays) that to me, it's almost like a "One last hurrah before we go"

They couldn't top 360, and don't think they ever wanted to, but I've been noticing that they've been giving away more guitars to fans on this tour, which kind of makes me wonder if it's not almost like downsizing of some sorts. More street / cover bands being brought on stage to sing their songs, as well as bringing some fans on stage (even during Streets) -- wonder if it's not bittersweet moments that they're creating.

Although it was reported today that they have another album in creation, is this simply a 'testing the waters' again or the 'reapplying for the biggest band in the world job' that they did with All That You Can't Leave Behind? As much as I liked the Vertigo tour, it definitely had it's awkward moments and Bono's voice definitely had it's highs and lows, but then they came back better than ever on the 360 tour.

Only my two cents, speculation here, I'm an avid fan and love the band immensely.

So bringing fans on stage = Vertigo tour pt 2 = new album = end?

Fly, you've outdone yourself. This goes down as the most bizarre of your bizarre threads :up:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Bono called me, and guys, he said it's the end of the road. The new album, 'Songs of Intransigence', will be their last.

U2 is the best creative outlet the four of them will ever have. None of them have enough individual talent to strike out on their own and be successful, like say Thom Yorke or Damon Albarn or Noel Gallagher. I'm also guessing that the money making behemoth known as U2 also covers the costs of vanity projects, vanity organizations, bad investments etc etc. So U2 aren't going anywhere for the next ten years at least (unless one of them drops dead first).

I've heard a few veteran fans say that they thought this was the case for whatever reason. In fact, I met up with a U2 fan I'd met before at a show for another artist the other night, and she's one of those that attends a TON of shows on each tour. As we were discussing our experiences on this most recent tour, she told me that she was convinced that this was the last tour. When I asked her to elaborate, all she would say was that the vibe was making her think that they were getting to a point where this was the last major thing for them concert-wise. She thought they'd still record and maybe do a one-off performance here or there, but she sounded pretty convinced of this.

For me, who knows? But I more or less go on each tour not anticipating the end of anything, unless someone gets hit by a bus or whatever.

Confirmed Rumor:

Songs of Reluctance - will be the end of the literal road. :sad:

Yep...clearly.

Not like they just shot the cover for a new album or anything.

Band is definitely about to call it quits.

Definitely. And they totally do not look like they are enjoying this tour at all. Especially Edge. That dancing and hopping around while playing guitar is obviously all an act. Adam smiling all the time is clearly fake. And Larry, well, nevermind he's always grumpy.

Not a chance of this being the last tour..... SOE comes, so at least another Stadium Tour to fill up the pocket with $$$..... then maybe another long pause.... but I'm sure they would say "Last Tour" before.

Besides that, yes I think they are not getting any younger and Bono isn't the one who was jumping around 20 or 30 years ago or even during Elevation or Vertigo.... it's more static but the music is still great and energetic, they smile, joke, enjoy themselves. It won't be their last tour.

I think the tour has rejuvinated them, personally. It looks like they are having a load of fun every night, they are still recording music for/planning/teasing a new album, selling out every night to great crowds (especially in Europe) ...I mean obviously they are only getting older but they seem to have a good deal of momentum right now.

It doesn't at all feel like some sort of farewell, sentimental tour to me. Maybe I'm just optimistic.

Definitely. And they totally do not look like they are enjoying this tour at all. Especially Edge. That dancing and hopping around while playing guitar is obviously all an act. Adam smiling all the time is clearly fake. And Larry, well, nevermind he's always grumpy.

:up:

My instinct is that this is the second-to-last tour, but I have absolutely no evidence to back that up.

I think once every couple of years, we have a thread like this. Granted, they're not getting any younger, but it looks (and sounds) like they're still having plenty of fun. (And so are their fans) Let's face it, 2015 has proven that U2 are still the world heavyweight champions of rock and roll. Barring any unforeseen catastrophes, they're gonna keep rockin' for years to come. Enjoy it while you can because nothing lasts forever.

Here's my sort of (probably unrealistic) dream scenario:

U2 are currently consciously making their final trilogy. It consists of Songs of Innocence, Songs of Experience, and Songs of Ascent. SOE will be released early next year before I+E leg 3. I+E will continue through late 2016.

Then they'll go away for a couple years and announce SOA as the last album. Doesn't have to be sonically related to the partially-complete album that came out of the NLOTH sessions (although maybe something will carry over), but it will have a theme of going away.

And then there will be something like The Ascent Tour, a publicly-acknowledged final tour.

I doubt that this will happen, but it's a scenario that would make a ton of sense to me if it did.

Vertigo 2? Vertigo was Elevation 2. This tour is something special and unique. U2 have rediscovered discipline, commitment, passion, and artistic intent. No way is this their last tour. They're U2 again, not the barely convincing U2 cover band that we've had since 2000.

Sent from my XT1034 using U2 Interference mobile app

Vertigo 2? Vertigo was Elevation 2. This tour is something special and unique. U2 have rediscovered discipline, commitment, passion, and artistic intent. No way is this their last tour. They're U2 again, not the barely convincing U2 cover band that we've had since 2000.

This is what's known as a backhanded compliment. :lol:

I've been noticing that they've been giving away more guitars to fans on this tour, which kind of makes me wonder if it's not almost like downsizing of some sorts.

That made me laugh.

Next leg: giving away pieces of Larry's drum kit! He'll just have that giant drum he uses for The Troubles by the end of the tour.

giving away guitar isn't the indication of them retiring or downsizing. Bono and Edge are BOD of Fender, one of the biggest guitar company. and Edge is giving away Fender acoustic, which is........not that good. i know he's been giving away other good acoustic, but they're not vintage. Im looking for the time when Edge gives away his precious vintage guitars.

None of them have enough individual talent to strike out on their own and be successful, like say Thom Yorke or Damon Albarn or Noel Gallagher.
Mods, please note this sentence (esp. the "Noel Gallagher" part) and I'm sure an instant ban from the forum will follow.

U2 seem determined to avoid the trappings of impending old-age. They're not releasing Songs of Impotence just yet. They have more energy for their career than almost any band half their age. They're not going anywhere.

U2 is the best creative outlet the four of them will ever have. None of them have enough individual talent to strike out on their own and be successful, like say Thom Yorke or Damon Albarn or Noel Gallagher. I'm also guessing that the money making behemoth known as U2 also covers the costs of vanity projects, vanity organizations, bad investments etc etc. So U2 aren't going anywhere for the next ten years at least (unless one of them drops dead first).

I think Edge at some point could have been capable of doing a solo album. He would have needed guest vocalist, but could have done it.

Bono, I think still could given the right collaborator. Maybe something that mixes his In the Name of the Father work and his "crooner" songs.

Since I just became a fan last year, and since I've never had the chance to see them live, and since they haven't had a concert in my area since Elevation, I am hoping and praying that this isn't the last tour. Or the second-to-last, or the third-to-last. I NEED them to keep going for at least another decade or so. :lol: :reject:

I think Edge at some point could have been capable of doing a solo album. He would have needed guest vocalist, but could have done it.

He already did this.

By the end of this tour not only will they have given all instruments away but their clothes as well ...... Bono singing Elevation will take on a new meaning.

To be brutally honest, the feeling I had when I saw them (the only time so far) on this tour was that they were coming to the end. I kind of had a sadness as I don't think the new stuff is stacking up very well and I'm not sure where else they can go from here. I'm not sure I'd want them to go on and on like the Stones for example, I'd like them to go out on top. Perhaps one final tour after this.

Back
Top Bottom