Appreciation for the studio version of 'Bad'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I concur that the studio cut of 'Bad' is the best. In fact, I think it's probably the quintessential U2 track, and perhaps the best track they've ever cut.

It's got that good thing about 80's U2, of putting in the full guts but refusing to be showy about it.

It's very good in the studio.

But live version is still the biggest improvement over studio version in the U2 catalogue.

For me, that honour goes to Until the End of the World.

I adore the live version of Bad to bits, but there's a truly special otherworldly, shimmering quality to the album track.

:up: Agree on both points. The first 2 legs of the ZooTV tour has some of the best versions of Until the End. I might add Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World to that as well. I never really listened to that song until I heard/saw it live.

As for Bad, I don't think that haunting quality was ever captured live. I love many of the live versions--I do have my favorites--and it was definitely a highpoint in concert. "Otherworldly, shimmering..." is a perfect description of the studio version.

Until the End of the World is another one that I enjoy more in studio than live, if we're talking specifically about the music. Has been my favourite song on Achtung Baby for about seven years now. Edge's guitar underneath Bono's incredible vocals at the ends of the verses, particularly in the final verse, has always moved me like few other U2 moments.

People always shit on the production on Achtung but I've always felt like the live versions lost a bit of the magic, which hardly matters because it's made up for by the energy and is still so fucking awesome live.

Larry owns this tune. When he puts down the brushes and picks up the sticks at at 4:36 he takes over and drives to song to whole different level. Amazing.

11 O'clock Tick Tock, Hawkmoon 269, and Dirty Day would all like a word with you.

With 11 o'clock they were only beginning so it's not hard to be better live.

Hawkmoon I prefer studio.

Dirty day is better but in terms of extra solos live MW pwns.

Really enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts here on Bad.

For years I think I always liked the Wide Awake version better, but the studio version has been growing on me more and more. I think I like them both for what they are individually, for different reasons. Studio because it's atmospheric, live for its intensity.

Back
Top Bottom