Appreciation for Stand Up Comedy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheEdge25

Refugee
Post in here and talk about this fantastic song of NLOTH!

I have grown to love the song. Sure, it's definitely not the best off the album, but it is very, very good. :drool:

I want the boys to premiere this song live so bad. More than any other song that they haven't played off NLOTH.

Yesh, I want Fez-Being Born as much as the next guy, but I'd rather have SUC. Just because I think it is a great rocker!

I mean, if they put it in a set list slot either before or after Elevation or Until The End of The World! I think it would work really well there and it would be really effective and amazing to see live! Plus, think about this, what about a Led Zeppelin Heartbreaker snippet at the end of it!!??!!?

AWESOME

Underrated song, not anywhere near as bad as fellow forumers make it out to be.

/inb4 brutal bashings.

I know that this one poster that goes by the name coran....um, no, that's not it. Cori...ander...stem, yes, that's it! Corianderstem. Anyway, I know that Stand Up Comedy is that poster's favourite song off NLOTH. She raves about it all.the.time.

I've always though SUC was the type of song that would work really well in a live concert setting.

It would be great live under the claw! While by no means my favorite song on the album, it has a few gems hidden in the lyrics, including my favorite line on the entire record. ;)

It would be great live under the claw! While by no means my favorite song on the album, it has a few gems hidden in the lyrics, including my favorite line on the entire record. ;)

and which line might that be?

Easily the most underrated song on the album. I really haven't been keeping up with the set lists so I don't know what's the trend (and I'm sure it'll change either way when they get over to North America).

I'd so much rather hear it than something like Boots, which is almost annoying at this point.

Well, I like it very much. Most people don't agree but I think without songs number 5, 6 and 7, NLOTH would be a snoozefest...

Don't get me wrong, it's my third favourite album :)

Heh - a few weeks ago I had a friend around at mine, he often takes pot shots at U2, them being pretty much the only musical departure point between us. Anyway, we were red wine plastered, talking a random mix of rubbish and music, and then of all the tracks to pop up on shuffle, up comes Original of the Species. So of course, here comes the anti-U2 rant from him. This time I thought, fuck it, game on - and "in defence" I forced him to listen to No Line to see that actually, they're still capable of good work, ignore the populist side. He'd heard the singles - Boots, Crazy Tonight, Magnificent - so those couldn't be avoided, but I took advantage of the inebriation to pull off an unnoticed strategic 'skip' from Boots straight to Fez-BB "It's a bit late, I'm just going to turn this down a little bit... right... just a second.... now!". Cheating, but I won and got the acknowledgement that yes, actually, some of that is pretty fucking good. If he'd heard SUC I would never, ever again have an In-Defence-Of-U2 leg to stand on. Ever. And that's my story. Thanks.

It's okay. I like Edge's quasi Led Zeppelin riff.

Would make a good song live; they even had tour merchandise T-shirts with "stand up to rock stars" line...

I like this song. Although it's far from top 10, it's a nice melody with good lyrics. :up:

sorry folks, probably one of the worst songs in U2's catalog. it's a great example of what happens to a song when it's overworked and put in the blender too many times.

sorry folks, probably one of the worst songs in U2's catalog. it's a great example of what happens to a song when it's overworked and put in the blender too many times.

I wouldn't say it's one of the the worst, but I do think it's one of the weaker tracks on the album's second half. Memorable riff, but lyrically it doesn't do much for me.

Appreciation thread = appreciate
sadraincloud.jpg

Whats with all the bashing? Seriously, SUC is cool.
It was one of my favorite's next to MoS and FEZ, and UC, and has been ever since NLOTH came out.
Why don't they play it? It would work out awesome live.

Love for SUC :hug:

Whats with all the bashing? Seriously, SUC is cool.
It was one of my favorite's next to MoS and FEZ, and UC, and has been ever since NLOTH came out.
Why don't they play it? It would work out awesome live.

Love for SUC :hug:

My 3rd favorite on the album, after Moment of Surrender and then Magnificent.

I know haters gotta hate, but I still like this song a lot. Sure, some of the lyrics are throw away, but not all of em. It has some high points as well.

The guitar parts are great, fun and would have sounded phenomenal live. Still don't understand why it was never broken out. Then again, I still don't understand why they changed crazy tonight live.

If it hadn't been included on the record (where it doesn't belong), and instead debuted live as a surprise track, people would've been all over it.

I know it is not the best song ever (that is One, at least according to Q), but I enjoy Stand Up Comedy, it's a great rocker and I would love to listen to it live in a concert, it would work perfectly as does her sister song Glastonbury.

I know it is not the best song ever (that is One, at least according to Q), but I enjoy Stand Up Comedy, it's a great rocker and I would love to listen to it live in a concert, it would work perfectly as does her sister song Glastonbury.

:down: Boo Q!

One is not the best U2 song ever. No no no no no! (it's an opinion though).

Back
Top Bottom