Appreciation for Stand Up Comedy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The way I see it, U2 looked at how successful Vertigo was as a lead singer and figured they might make lightning strike twice with Boots. But obviously they didn't do the same thing.

years later i still don't see how boots is vertigo part 2.

Thing is, I believe that they thought Crazy was Vertigo part II.

Point is, Boots was an awful single that just tried too hard. I think the fact that Crazy was the 3rd released single hurt it, considering it didn't even chart on the US mainstream charts.

I think that MoS has the quality of a single, if you release a radio edit. Same goes to MoS.

Does anyone know why they didn't release a 4th single? Was it because of the poor charting of the 2nd and 3rd?

I've always liked SUC...shame they never got around to playing it live, as it could have been awesome. :sigh:

SUC, it's not abysmal to listen to, I just find it rather annoying.. It's the All Because Of You of NLOTH, I just find it hard to take seriously... It could really work in the live setting, if given a chance.

SUC, it's not abysmal to listen to, I just find it rather annoying.. It's the All Because Of You of NLOTH, I just find it hard to take seriously... It could really work in the live setting, if given a chance.

Well then good sir and/or madam (too drunk to function) All Because of You is a great song.

Maybe I'm just an ignorant asshole who judges a song not based upon it's inner meaning but rather it's catchiness but I dont care. I love both songs.

Jeez have mercy ABOY is about a million times better than SUC!!!

There's reason(s) why NLOTH hasn't done as well as HTDAAB..one of them happens to be because the 'non-hit' album tracks just aren't as good. HTDAAB has some great album tracks that let the record flow nicely. NLOTH, not so much.

I know this is likely not a widely held view, but after loving HTDAAB, liking it, getting sick of it, I've come full circle and appreciate it as a great U2 album. The difference is that when I first heard HTDAAB there wasn't much that outright made me want to press skip. NLOTH was far different for me: the songs I rate, I really really rate. And then there's a bunch I just think are pretty bad. SUC is definitely one of them.

SOUL ROCKIN PEOPLE!!!!!!

SUC is awesome, and should be played live, and If I ever meet Bono, I plan on expressing this to him.....

...so there's at least 2 things that probably will never happen in my lifetime......

I love pretty much everything about SUC except the lyrics. I know Bono was trying to be self-mocking and whatnot, but he did such a better job with that in HMTMKMKM.

It's not a horrible song but it's still easily my least favourite on NLOTH. It sounds really forced.

SUC has a great guitar riff, one of the best on the album. I think (and this applies to a few songs on NLOTH) it had the potential of being a MASSIVE single for them, but at the crucial moment it fell away from them and it didn't happen. I feel the same way about Crazy...you can hear a mega single in that song but it just doesn't come to fruition. I'm sure it must have annoyed the hell out the guys that they couldn't find a BD or Vertigo on NLOTH despite coming tantalizingly close.

Stand Up Comedy isn't a bad song (I love the guitar riff, and I like the "stop helping god cross the road" line), but it's a good example of a song that the band spent way too much time trying to get absolutely perfect. It took them 16 months to record it, for crying out loud! It just sounds a bit forced to me.

Then again, it's still a fun song to mindlessly jam out to.:wink:

I can listen to the song, but I would rate it in the bottom half of tunes on NLOTH. To me....its a pretty weak offering. Its like Edge came up with a riff....and threw a song around it.....relying too much on the riff to carry the song. Boots and Glastonbury are the same!

SUC rocks! :drool:

I would love to hear it live. I can't for the life of me understand, why some people say it's weak. I just can't hear it. Other bands would kill to have a song like that on their albums, and it would be a single.

I can't help thinking, there's always a scapegoat on each album, when you read the first fan reviews. Peace On Earth, Crumbs, SUC. And I think U2 listen to the fans.. more than we think they do.

Back
Top Bottom