Appreciation for Stand Up Comedy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I fuckin LOVE Stand up Comedy. Can NOT understand why they're not playing it live every night! Replace IALW with SUC!

my apologies for raining on the parade. if anyone rained on my Packers parade right now, i'd kick them in that gonads.

I agree, you cant really make a real list. Personally though, I would've thought Streets or SBS would be #1 (with SBS being rather their most well known song).

My favourite song ever is Streets, but it is in another category, One is a ballad, it will contend with Stay and With Or Without You, my two favourite ballads, One is the third in that category for me, I think, I'm not very good at assigning positions, as soon as I think I've finished I start feeling uncomfortable about what I did.

Took over 24 hours for someone to disagree... what else could there have been?

It's the best song on the album imo, and easily the most genuinely U2 that could've been a hit.

Well there's Cedars and Fez to name two ...

Well there's Cedars and Fez to name two ...

You can argue that as songs that you think are the best song on the album. But a single needs to have certain qualities. The songs need to be promotional at first. I think Cedars, despite being a good song, would flop as a single. And probably wouldn't chart on most major charts. Same goes for Fez, considering it's unconventional style.

Not that they aren't good songs, but you need to stick with the more mainstream songs for singles. Gotta remember, how are you supposed to even promote a song like Cedars?

I'm not talking about their marketability I'm talking about their quality as songs.

Sorry, but SUC would have bombed as a single just as badly if not worse than GOYB. Even worse for Fez or Cedars.

Breathe or a sped-up Magnificent, released properly, would have worked. A single of MOS, possibly.

I'm not saying SUC should have been a single, I'm just saying that it's a fantastic song on an incredible album.

I think GOYB was not the best first single choice, but think about what they had to offer. They wanted to get out a new song quickly and have it be accessible and fun for everyone to hear. It got quite a bit of radio play and most people recognize the track. I think Magnificent was not great for a single choice, I think that should have been Breathe or the self-titled track. I do think Crazy Tonight was a nice single. I think it's a great song that got a decent amount of radio play as well. MOS should have been the fourth single that would have been really nice. A single version of that song would be fantastic.

the problem there is that get on your boots wasn't accessible at all... if they wanted an accessible song that could reach a broad audience, they should have gone with breathe or crazy tonight.

even stand up comedy is more "mainstream accessible" than boots, magnificent or moment of surrender.

i like moment of surrender a lot, but it's a 7 minute song. it would never get radio play unless it was edited, and i don't know how you can edit it down without butchering it and making it a shell of it's self.

the problem there is that get on your boots wasn't accessible at all... if they wanted an accessible song that could reach a broad audience, they should have gone with breathe or crazy tonight.

even stand up comedy is more "mainstream accessible" than boots, magnificent or moment of surrender.

i like moment of surrender a lot, but it's a 7 minute song. it would never get radio play unless it was edited, and i don't know how you can edit it down without butchering it and making it a shell of it's self.

The way I see it, U2 looked at how successful Vertigo was as a lead singer and figured they might make lightning strike twice with Boots. But obviously they didn't do the same thing.

I'm not saying SUC should have been a single, I'm just saying that it's a fantastic song on an incredible album.

I think GOYB was not the best first single choice, but think about what they had to offer. They wanted to get out a new song quickly and have it be accessible and fun for everyone to hear. It got quite a bit of radio play and most people recognize the track. I think Magnificent was not great for a single choice, I think that should have been Breathe or the self-titled track. I do think Crazy Tonight was a nice single. I think it's a great song that got a decent amount of radio play as well. MOS should have been the fourth single that would have been really nice. A single version of that song would be fantastic.

What they had to offer ? At least three better choices than Boots : Breathe or the title track if "rock single" was needed. Magnificent being the most obvious single material.

But nothing that really jumps out and says we're back like BD or Vertigo. In that sense, they're right they did not have a single.

years later i still don't see how boots is vertigo part 2.

vertigo is a tight, crisp rock song with a catchy beat and memorable chorus. boots is anything but.

yes, the cadence of the verse delivery is slightly similar. i'll give you that. that's where the similarities end. vertigo has a classic verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus format. boots is something else entirely... it's strange. it has no crisp format to it. it's all over the map.

not that all songs need to follow that classic verse/chorus/bridge format... but there's a reason why most do. it's clean and catchy.

^ Thus, Breathe. It even has the required 'radio solo'.

MOS would have to be edited down, and if anybody ever touches that beautiful Gilmour-esq solo I'll scream! I can't even stand it when Bono speaks over it lmao.

These guys make the silliest choices sometimes. Still love em tho ;)

Back
Top Bottom