Anything You Dislike About JT or AB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I absolutely love So Cruel, I think it's one of Bono's best ever vocals, F@$king great song, should have been a single, instead of the aforementioned WGRYWH.
Though WGRYWH did redeem itself on the Vertigo tour, I really loved it, more so than it ever had done before.

let's see.

jt: side a is too overplayed, so i can't really stand listening to jt unless i start with rhmt. side b is too low as someone else said. ttyw is okay, but given all the quality songs that were given b-side status, every track on the album SHOULD be killer.

ab: the production is kind of crappy on here, but it's okay if you turn it up loudly enough. oh, and the fact that one is on there. could've down without so cruel but if i could only pick one song to remove, it'd be one. :)

I absolutely love So Cruel, I think it's one of Bono's best ever vocals, F@$king great song, should have been a single, instead of the aforementioned WGRYWH.
Though WGRYWH did redeem itself on the Vertigo tour, I really loved it, more so than it ever had done before.

Couldn't agree more....So Cruel is perfect...maybe my favorite on AB.

JT: The transition from WOWY to BTBS, bugs the shit out of me...

Like many have said, the sound issues especially on the second half. Thank god for the remasters.

AB: I think EBTTRT sounds somewhat dated nowadays. It's incredibly muddy in areas, hopefully a remaster will help. I think something between the single version and album version of Horses would have been much better.

Other than that, they are almost perfect albums.

AB: Larry's equipment. Did he bring pots and pans to the studio?

JT: Not including Spanish Eyes, S&G, and a few of the other b sides was disappointing, but not their fault. A double album was out of the question, and they were still confined to the shorter time limits of the LP record and the cassette tape, the two media that still drove the market back then. CDs were just starting to gain a foothold. If JT was released today I'm guessing that more songs would have been included, given that cds can be up to 80 min.

I read somewhere when The Edge said that JT was recorded live, all four of them as a band. He siad that they only added to it afterwards and because of this there are quite a few mistakes if you listen carefully. Wasn't Exit fixed some time ago? Does anyone know if they fixed the other mistakes on their latest remasters. I think it will be better if they re-recorded it.

But because of my age I prefer AB

I love both albums. They are two of my favorites by any artist. But, I understand your question. For me, my least favorite song, on AB is "Who's gonna ride your wild horses." Though, it is a better song than some other artist could ever come up with.

JT:
it's a good listening album from begin to end. I like the remaster, does some more justice to most songs. TTYW is somewhat boring, but I do like Exit. I agree on the low volume. Especially when listening in the car, I can't hear a damn thing until Bono starts singing.
Furthermore, as with all albums, you have to be in the mood for it. There are days that I skip most songs and there are days when the album goes on repeat.

AB:
Same as JT: some days skip, some days repeat. I personally like the production-intention. But it doens't always work out. The song I liked best from the outtakes, is the song that doesn't work for me at all on the album: WGRYWH. Morning child was promising, but it turned into a cheesy song, especially towards the end with "don't turn around". not that the lyrics are bad, it's just the whole picture.

I think that what makes these albums so great, is the atmosphere in which they were recorded. it just has something magic, like with UF.

Joshua Tree is often ranked in the top 10 albums of all time. Can't argue with that - it's as complete an album as anything I've ever listened to.

The soft sound of Exit's beginning always bugged me but the new remaster fixed that. I honestly don't think there's any filler on the album. One Tree Hill is the weakest song IMHO and I'd love to have had Luminous Times, Walk to the Water and Spanish Eyes on the album, but as b-sides they became hidden gems of that era (like a reward for the fans).

Achtung Baby ranks equally with Joshua Tree for me - but creates different moods so sometimes I prefer one over the other. The final 3 tracks of AB are the best ending to any album in the history of the world - and I'll never be convinced otherwise.

If there's a weak track on AB it's Zoo Station. I enjoy it, but on multiple listens it gets a little annoying (unlike One, So Cruel, Acrobat & Love is Blindlness which I could listen to forever).

I'm fine with both albums the way they are, not including a remastering of AB--but wasn't the production SUPPOSED to be wet, murky, etc.?

It certainly had me wet. Ahem, anyway I tend to start the album at Even Better most times, neglecting ZT, then skip from UTEOTW to Fly on occasion. Trying to Throw can be a bit off sometimes for me too.

Also, this isn't popular opinion, but I don't think theres one "amazing" track after In God's Country on JT. I do like the rest though, just dont count them as classics.

Nah, I truly love them both. There aren't any week points, really. Some years ago I didn't like Trip Through Your Wires that much ... but that has changed. So: No.

Tree- The first 3/5 of the Joshua Tree is great and then... it.. kind... of.. wanders... off...into boredom. Funnily enough- the same exact thing happened to ATYCLB. After 'In a Little While' is done I just pop the CD out because boredom follows.
Plus WOWY fades away right when I start feeling the song! Dammit!

But as ATYCLB- that first half or so has some of their very best songs.

Baby- I wish it was mastered louder. I like the dirtiness and muddiness- it fits. And I wish Edge used the live solo or at least a better solo for Love is Blindness instead of snapping the strings and then playing single notes off time. I mean it's cool and goes with the whole bleakness theme, but when I show people that song they say "What the hell? What kind of solo was that?" And I'm just sick of explaining it. But I love all the songs- and the tracklist and flow is just perfect. I can't say that for any other album by U2.

As an album- Baby>JT
For classic songs- Baby<JT

Back
Top Bottom