Anyone noticing increased radio airplay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2387

Refugee
I thought I would ask around. With the new album coming up in February 2009, a new single is obviously coming damn soon. Where I spend my time, Boston and Burlington VT, I have been hearing alot more U2 lately.

Today's listening is what compelled me to write this post, though. On my drive between the 2 places(450 miles roundtrip) I heard at least 9 different U2 songs on about 4 different stations. And how rare is this?

All in the same day: Bad(Wide Awake in America version) and One Tree Hill back to back on 100.7 Boston and then on Independent radio somewhere in the mountains of Vermont, Window in the skies. The stations I listen to, you might hear these songs once per year, I heard them all just today. What has everyone else been hearing on the radio?

Boston and Vermont ALWAYS play a lot of U2. Hell, driving to Mt. Snow a couple years back I heard Your Blue Room on the radio.

I hear too much mainstream garbage. (Katy Perry, Kid Rock, Lady Gaga, Pink etc.)

I don't think i've heard a U2 song played on the radio in about a week at least. Maybe some songs have been played just they weren't playing when I was listening. :/

They might just be fans of U2 anticipating the new album. I know when I'm doing my slot at the studio I play U2 alot :)

I hear too much mainstream garbage. (Katy Perry, Kid Rock, Lady Gaga, Pink etc.)

I don't think i've heard a U2 song played on the radio in about a week at least. Maybe some songs have been played just they weren't playing when I was listening. :/

I figure we've got the same stations (sounds like you're describing SAFM and to a lesser extent the three other major stations) and yeah, I'm getting the same thing. Although I did hear Sweetest Thing on Mix 102.3 today, but overall there doesn't seem to have been any increase in play. They still play Matchbox 20 all the time, though. Why? Who ever cared about them?

Also Coldplay.

I haven't been listening to the radio much since I've been at school, but when I do, I only hear U2 on classic rock stations lately. I heard "Christmas, Baby Please Come Home" last week, though. I was glad to hear U2's version, as I've mostly heard the one by Destiny's Child for the past few Christmases (I think it's them, anyway).

Too much Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, The Who and AC/DC.

Not enough U2, Pink Floyd or Black Sabbath.

Truer words have never been spoken, though I am a big fan of AC/DC. I am with you 100% otherwise, especially on Led Zeppelin. I swear, the rock station here in Burlington, VT(106.7) plays 40% Zeppelin and 60% everyone else. No, on second thought, it is acutally 50-50. The most overrated band of all time in my opinion! People have the nerve to say U2 songs all sound the same after listening to these guys??!!!

Too much Britney, Rihianna, and Katy Perry. Here in Philly on the rock stations they tend to play a lot of Pearl Jam. I like them, but not that much. I usually only hear the same U2songs when I do hear them.

I figure we've got the same stations (sounds like you're describing SAFM and to a lesser extent the three other major stations) and yeah, I'm getting the same thing. Although I did hear Sweetest Thing on Mix 102.3 today, but overall there doesn't seem to have been any increase in play. They still play Matchbox 20 all the time, though. Why? Who ever cared about them?

Also Coldplay.

Yeah, SAFM, Nova 91.9, keep on playing the same songs 4-5 times in a day. Mix 102.3 are okay, Triple M also seem to play U2 sometimes, as for Triple J, they just play everything thats not played on the other stations.

I hear Coldplay quite a bit too, they always seem to play the song Viva La Vida often, imo I think it's incredibly boring.

I'm sick of hearing the song Kid Rock ripped off from Lynyrd Skinner which was ripped off from Warren Zevon, or it was probably the other way around, I forgot.

96.5 The Buzz in Kansas City has been increasing radio play of U2 from virtually nothing to quite often.

I never hear U2 on the morning show, or on the afternoon, evening show. The mid-day show the DJ actually likes U2 and plays them quite often, especially on his 90's at Noon thing.

But, within the past week I actually caught U2 on the morning show, on the afternoon show, and a lot more play on the mid-day show. The mid-day DJ has been talking about the upcoming U2 album like mad. :applaud:

I thought I would ask around. With the new album coming up in February 2009, a new single is obviously coming damn soon. Where I spend my time, Boston and Burlington VT, I have been hearing alot more U2 lately.

Today's listening is what compelled me to write this post, though. On my drive between the 2 places(450 miles roundtrip) I heard at least 9 different U2 songs on about 4 different stations. And how rare is this?

All in the same day: Bad(Wide Awake in America version) and One Tree Hill back to back on 100.7 Boston and then on Independent radio somewhere in the mountains of Vermont, Window in the skies. The stations I listen to, you might hear these songs once per year, I heard them all just today. What has everyone else been hearing on the radio?

Yup, I've definitely noticed this as well. 92.9 WBOS and even 104.5 WXLO have been playing them a lot more often as well. :hmm:

KGSR in Austin plays a very decent bit of U2... I even caught RHMT on their list of songs played a few weeks ago. Since Friday, they've played the following U2 songs (in descending order):

Vertigo
SBS
Stuck in a Moment
Mysterious Ways
Angel of Harlem
Mysterious Ways
One
I Will Follow
One Tree Hill (!)
Beautiful Day
Stuck in a Moment
Beautiful Day

Also, they play songs from Viva la Vida by the boatload (one of the few times that KGSR, which is known for staying away from formula pop music, heavily played something at the top of the Billboard charts).

What is it with Kid Rock and sounding like Lynyrd Skinner and Detroit in like everyone of his songs.

Plagiarist!!!

Kid Rock is one. :down:

He rhymes things with things, no talent. :lol:

I'm sick of hearing the song Kid Rock ripped off from Lynyrd Skinner which was ripped off from Warren Zevon, or it was probably the other way around, I forgot.

Yea agreed, when I heard the song the first time, I thought it wasn't that awful. But radio can ruin songs by playing them WAY too often.

On 92.5 Joe FM here in Edmonton, Canada I hear U2 every 3-4 hours on that station but it's usually a combination of Where the streets have no name, Pride (in the name of love), Vertigo, Beautiful Day, Even Better Than The Real Thing or Sunday Bloody Sunday

KGSR in Austin plays a very decent bit of U2... I even caught RHMT on their list of songs played a few weeks ago. Since Friday, they've played the following U2 songs (in descending order):

Vertigo
SBS
Stuck in a Moment
Mysterious Ways
Angel of Harlem
Mysterious Ways
One
I Will Follow
One Tree Hill (!)
Beautiful Day
Stuck in a Moment
Beautiful Day

Also, they play songs from Viva la Vida by the boatload (one of the few times that KGSR, which is known for staying away from formula pop music, heavily played something at the top of the Billboard charts).

The play Vertigo on KGSR? When i drove to Austin quite often I always enjoyed that station. Since I just purchased a lifetime subscription to "XM-Sirius" my days of commerical radio are no more :)

Back
Top Bottom