Anyone here from the old U2-Wire Yahoo Group?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sabretooth47

The Fly
Hi all!

I've been a bit of a lurker when it comes to U2 forums. I joined here a while back...can't remember if I ever posted anything. Anyway, I usually just check to see the latest "new album" rumors.

I used to be pretty active on the U2-Wire group through Yahoo. That was back in 2002-04 I believe. The group kind of faded away after HTDAAB came out.

Is there anyone here from that old group?

I used to post as DaveC (or Dave C). The poster I remember most was modsavage. He hooked me up with a lot of boots and videos.

Naw cobl pretty sure thats a different DaveC. Our DaveC is a bit too young to be a part of the old Wire group. I've met him personally before in 03 or 04 and I either put him on to Interference or he had just joined around the same time.

Sabretooth: I recall a Dave from Wire. Welcome back, friend. There are lots of old Wirelings around, some of em don't post much tho..

I happened to room with one of the original pillars of Wire recently in Montreal. Good times :)

Naw cobl pretty sure thats a different DaveC. Our DaveC is a bit too young to be a part of the old Wire group. I've met him personally before in 03 or 04 and I either put him on to Interference or he had just joined around the same time.

Sabretooth: I recall a DaveC from Wire. Welcome back, friend. There are lots of old Wirelings around, some of em don't post much tho..

I happened to room with one of the original pillars of Wire recently in Montreal. Good times :)

Cool. Man, I spent a lot of time reading those posts over there.

Kind of a flashback looking back over some of the old posts. Here was one of mine after I saw Vertigo in Buffalo...

Yahoo! Groups

I don't think so. I've never posted here until today.

Ah cool that's what I thought..there is a DaveC who posts *here...who started a hip hop thread if I'm not mistaken..I think that's what cobl was referring to, but I'll let him confirm. He's from out east coast Canada. Military guy.

I was like - how could our Dave (here) not remember if he ever posted here? :lol:

At any rate...welcome man, good thing you made a new account so there isn't any confusion ;)

Gee, if that is old, then what about the original Wire mailing list? You know, before it became a Yahoo Group in 2000...
:)

I was going to say...I don't know anything about a Yahoo group but I was on the Wire mailing list around when POPMart was going on.

There wasn't anything like a 'setlist' archive back then.
Much less setlist parties.

It was tough to find setlists.
I am not nostalgic for those days, actually.
More nostalgic for the times when you could be surprised by walking into a record store and see the New Release list and see some band you love has an album in a few months. Not that I wouldn't have loved to have the internet back then. But it was pretty cool.

i too was on back in the day, during the popmart tour. i didn't post too often though. i could only find like one of my posts on the archives, though i definitely posted more than that. ah well.

I was on it.

Same name.

I'm just glad that "J" a.k.a. "Jick" isn't on Interference anymore. That kid was a jackass.

I remember you...nice to see you again. :wave:

I also remember "J" all too well. Him and I got into a great many arguments over just about everything...

I never understood that guy. If I remember correctly, the only album he liked was Pop, and kept making comments that the band wasn't really that good before or since. Never could understand why he bothered joining a U2 board if he thought they weren't good... :confused:

I remember you...nice to see you again. :wave:

I also remember "J" all too well. Him and I got into a great many arguments over just about everything...

I never understood that guy. If I remember correctly, the only album he liked was Pop, and kept making comments that the band wasn't really that good before or since. Never could understand why he bothered joining a U2 board if he thought they weren't good... :confused:

Actually, he disliked Pop, and dismissed the entire album as "trip hop", a genre which he clearly knew nothing about.

He also accused U2 of ripping off Bon Jovi on numerous occasions, and kept singing the praises of the latter and tried to draw ludicrous parallels between the bands.

As I said, a total jackass.

i thought he liked pop when it came out? no wait, was it after the fact? i forget, with every album he seemed to change his opinion on some previous album.

i think i remember his email address (at some point) being pop4ever @ yahoo or hotmail or some shit.

I was in it. Don't remember my name or whatever.

I designed the wire tag we used for the Elevation tour ;). Ended up getting it signed by everyone but Bono. We met the band after the first Atlanta show. Bono was there, just not signing autographs.

edit: I also remember being on some usenet or something back in the 90s too.

Last edited:
I read but did not post. I also got tickets to Popmart Montreal through WIRE.

i wish i had known about that option at the time. my parents gave me permission to go with my friend's family and it would have been my first concert ever (fred penner when i was 3 years old notwithstanding).

but in 1997 we were under the impression that the only sure way to get tickets would be to go to montreal on the on-sale date to line up and buy them in person. my friend's dad refused to give his credit card number over the phone to anyone, and since it was a 15-hour drive each way from halifax he was not interested in doing that trip twice, so we ended up missing it.

although that being said, almost nobody in halifax had home internet yet then either, so even if i had known about WIRE we would have had to go to the public library and use their computer to get the tickets.

i'm old

Last edited:
i wish i had known about that option at the time. my parents gave me permission to go with my friend's family and it would have been my first concert ever (fred penner when i was 3 years old notwithstanding).

but in 1997 we were under the impression that the only sure way to get tickets would be to go to montreal on the on-sale date to line up and buy them in person. my friend's dad refused to give his credit card number over the phone to anyone, and since it was a 15-hour drive each way from halifax he was not interested in doing that trip twice, so we ended up missing it.

although that being said, almost nobody in halifax had home internet yet then either, so even if i had known about WIRE we would have had to go to the public library and use their computer to get the tickets.

i'm old

It was a great show. I had seen the tour earlier in NY and Boston, and while the Boston show was best, it was a highly polished, well-choreographed production by November of 1997.

I bought the ticket off some woman, and we did it all by mail? Like I sent a stranger — someone from WIRE — a check and got tickets in return? I don’t think I was even 20 at the time. I remember we spoke on the phone, and she was a JT fan and said the Zoo TV show in Boston on St Patrick’s Day was the best she’d ever seen them … and was not into Pop. So she felt fine selling the tickets.

We stayed at a hostel. I spoke some French. At a croissant. Was treated rudely at the border and we had our trunk searched. Good times.

I was on Wire as well. Not as active as I am here. but these posts are bringing back memories.

As for Popmart, This was my second U2 tour. Saw ZooTV once at Rosemont Horizon in Chicago, I bought tickets from a guy at my church. I had called in for like 2 hours to get tickets and found out they had sold out in 30 seconds, and he was not a huge U2 fan, so I bought them for double the price - 50 bucks! Greatest night of my life. And then two Outside Broadcast shows.

Anyway, I went to Popmart in Chicago. Had tickets for the first two nights at Soldier Field, but went back and wandered around during the day with fans on day 3. Ended up being there when Bono was being driven up. He hopped out, talked to a small group of us for about 10 minutes, whispering to save his voice, and gave out tickets for the show that night to anyone that didn't have them.

He came out swinging that night vocally, like he had something to prove. Great night.

Back
Top Bottom