Anyone else have an "I wore my U2 shirt in public and..." story?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
images

As crazy as this sounds......I tell you no lies.

I will never forget the time I drove from Toronto to NJ to see U2 on Oct 28, 2001 at Continental Airlines Arena. The girl I was dating at the time came with me and we stayed in a crappy hotel somewhere. We decided that we wanted to get some drinks so we went to some bar where there was a bunch of shady characters. As I was drinking in the bar, they were playing hip-hop from a juke box as well as top 40. It was the night before U2 so I figured I'd get my drink on. I got to chatting with a bunch of the locals there who were still reeling from the tragedy of 9/11. After several conversations, it was obvious to people that I was the out of towner from Toronto.

U2 Setlist - E. Rutherford - Oct 28, 2001 - U2tours.com
(my picture featured in the link above)

While wearing the shirt pictured above, a fellow black dude came up to me and said with lots of anger in his voice, "Who's the four white dudes on your shirt?" So I replied back in a rude tone, "Wait a sec....you don't know who the fuck these guys are?"

My mistake.......

Brotherman gets right in my face and this has only happened once in my life.

He pulls out a switchblade knife in front of my face. "Who you think you talkin' to with that tone?"

At first I thought it was a joke. I was scared shitless. I was in disbelief. Was this really happening? Why is this guy getting all vexed with me. Holy fawk. Then I realized that I can't go see U2 tomorrow if I am lying in emergency or six feet under. I proceed to politely educate the dude about who U2 is and songs they sing.......and how it will be the biggest concert tomorrow night and I guarantee it will be in the paper in the morning. I must of seemed awfully scared. Especially since I'm far away from home.

Maybe it was the conviction that I used to talk about the band I hold so dear to my heart.....But after a bit he put the knife away. I then said to him, "I bet if I go over to the jukebox, I can find at least one U2 album in there."

So we walked over to the CD juke box and sure enough.....Achtung Baby was staring me right in the face.

His demeanor changes and he asks for me to put a track on.

I think I can proudly say, "Mysterious Ways" allowed me to walk out of the bar on my own two feet. I don't know NJ very well......I'm hoping when I go back in 2011 that things are very different. Thank goodness I've never been in that kinda situation ever again.
:shocked: Cool story, U2BROTHR. I just started playing "Mysterious Ways," now... heh, such a grreeaaaaatttt song. You've convinced me to start carrying my iPod with me everywhere I go... maybe the song will get me out of a jam, too :shifty:

:shocked: Cool story, U2BROTHR. I just started playing "Mysterious Ways," now... heh, such a grreeaaaaatttt song. You've convinced me to start carrying my iPod with me everywhere I go... maybe the song will get me out of a jam, too :shifty:

Or at least get you some bellydancer action. :up:

images

I will never forget the time I drove from Toronto to NJ to see U2 on Oct 28, 2001 at Continental Airlines Arena...

You win! :yikes:

I don't really have a specific story to tell, just that in the month or two after the Toronto shows last tour, whenever I would wear my shirt from that tour, I would inevitably get stopped by people who would ask me if I saw them (yes, obviously), which of the four Toronto show I went to (all of them, to which the reply would be "lucky!") and how did I manage to get the very much in demand tickets, which sold out instantly for all four shows (I have ways). This would happen with people of all ages, pretty much from teens right up to people in their 50s. It was cool.

Not really shirt related, but funny nonetheless, when I was crossing the border to go to Chicago, the US border guard (who are generally known to be businesslike and gruff at best) stopped us and asked us the typical questions: where are you from, where are you going, how long will you be there, what are you going for? When I told him I was going to see concerts, he asked who I was seeing, and then hearing it was U2, he very seriously said "I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate those tickets." I was running on very little sleep, and was confused and stunned for a few seconds, like, "omg, what did I do?" lol. I looked at him again, and he started laughing and said "well, I couldn't get any of my own, they sold out." Then we both laughed, and he told me to have a good time, and waved me through. :)

Not really shirt related, but funny nonetheless, when I was crossing the border to go to Chicago, the US border guard (who are generally known to be businesslike and gruff at best) stopped us and asked us the typical questions: where are you from, where are you going, how long will you be there, what are you going for? When I told him I was going to see concerts, he asked who I was seeing, and then hearing it was U2, he very seriously said "I'm afraid I'm going to have to confiscate those tickets." I was running on very little sleep, and was confused and stunned for a few seconds, like, "omg, what did I do?" lol. I looked at him again, and he started laughing and said "well, I couldn't get any of my own, they sold out." Then we both laughed, and he told me to have a good time, and waved me through. :)

:lol:

that happened to me to and from Vancouver when I went up there for one of the Vertigo shows!

On the way up, it was a woman:

"Purpose of your visit?"

Me: "Going to the U2 concert in Vancouver."

(pause) "Do I have permission to call you the "b-word" in envy?"

On the way back, it was a man:

"Purpose of your visit?" (he was very serious, very official)

Me: "I went to the U2 concert last night."

"Aw, man! Was it awesome?" (minor chitchat) "Welcome home!"

So what we've learned here is that Bono single handedly prevented an occurrence of KNIFE CRIME!

Not related to U2 at all, but you reminded me of this. When I saw Springsteen at the American Airlines center in Dallas a couple of years ago, a security guard stopped me and told me I couldn't go into the show. Now, I was incredibly tired, one and two, I bought the tickets off of eBay and I always am super nervous when I do that. So I go, "W...what?" And he goes, "I'm not going to let you in here with that shirt." and I looked down and realized I'd worn my Green Bay Packers shirt that day. I look up at him again like....seriously? And he finally cracks a smile, so then I was able to laugh, but it scared the shit out of me at first. I ran into that security guard a few more times that day, and he kept giving me a hard time, but it was all good. Then when I got into the show, the head of Bruce's security, for NO reason I could tell, pointed at me and said to the rail guard (who was very nice and had been conversing with me and fellow U2 fans who were at the show together) "You keep an eye on her." He kept giving me these looks throughout the waiting period before the show, just messing with me, and finally right before the show started he told me to hang around afterwards and he'd give me something. He'd said the same to someone else so the two of us waited a little while after the show hoping for shirts, but he never showed :(. Anyways, I wear that Green Bay shirt to almost every show I go to now, just because it ended up being such a fun time.

Not related to U2 at all, but you reminded me of this. When I saw Springsteen at the American Airlines center in Dallas a couple of years ago, a security guard stopped me and told me I couldn't go into the show. Now, I was incredibly tired, one and two, I bought the tickets off of eBay and I always am super nervous when I do that. So I go, "W...what?" And he goes, "I'm not going to let you in here with that shirt." and I looked down and realized I'd worn my Green Bay Packers shirt that day. I look up at him again like....seriously? And he finally cracks a smile, so then I was able to laugh, but it scared the shit out of me at first. I ran into that security guard a few more times that day, and he kept giving me a hard time, but it was all good. Then when I got into the show, the head of Bruce's security, for NO reason I could tell, pointed at me and said to the rail guard (who was very nice and had been conversing with me and fellow U2 fans who were at the show together) "You keep an eye on her." He kept giving me these looks throughout the waiting period before the show, just messing with me, and finally right before the show started he told me to hang around afterwards and he'd give me something. He'd said the same to someone else so the two of us waited a little while after the show hoping for shirts, but he never showed :(. Anyways, I wear that Green Bay shirt to almost every show I go to now, just because it ended up being such a fun time.

He was either going to give you a beatdown or the Holy Grail. Only two possible options here.

I've had a few t-shirts commented on in the past, not U2 though. I wore a Doolittle shirt at Lolla this year and got a few "ZOMG PITCHFORK LIKE PIXIES I LIKE THEM TOO"s.

U2BROTHR, great story! I have that shirt and I also went to that show. Unfortunately, a lot of people showed misguided patriotism after 9/11. An ugly time for sure. U2 went above and beyond during that time. Especially those NYC/NJ shows.

It's me in my t-shirt with U2 :).

beztytuu.jpg

Great thread! :wink:
I have a strange story for you. When I was learning how to drive and had to practise, one day I wore my t-shirt. Back says: 'History like God - is watching what we do', Bono's words. My instructor doesn't speak English, so he asked me about that inscription. I said it to him and we got into a car. Then I switched the engine on and it started to work. After that I was driving and he sat near me. And then he asked 'What do you believe in?' and I laughed that I'm technically a christian, but I don't like to go to church and so on... Then he was thinking and asked again with some fear 'But... you were dubbed...?'. I was laughing so hard because of it ;d. It was so strange and so funny, anyone asked me a question like that ;d.

Well my story was with someone else wearing a U2 T-shirt. I work as an Esthetician and my next client came in wearing a U2 T-shirt. She was there to have a facial. We gabbed on and on the entire hour about U2, what our favorite songs and albums were etc. etc. We exchanged e-mails and started writing each other and became very good friends! It was awesome. :lol:

miamiq.png

I ordered that shirt from an online store where you can make your own t-shirts for 360 Helsinki gigs just for laughs :lol:

there were fans laughing and giving high fives just for that text :lol:

When I was 12/13 I often used to wear my Bullet The Blue Sky t-shirt around towm, for anyone who doesn't remember it featured a picture a drawing of a small girl crouched down and screaming, blood spattered everywhere behind her, the words" I can see those fighter planes" written above her in red, and on the back was a picture of some sort of sculpture of a naked male figure. It was a great conversation starter for a 12 year old.

Never saw or heard of that shirt before, but it looks pretty damned awesome:

U2 - Bullet The Blue Sky - Fighter Planes Coming Shirt

You can click on that pic and enlarge the image.

miamiq.png

I ordered that shirt from an online store where you can make your own t-shirts for 360 Helsinki gigs just for laughs :lol:

there were fans laughing and giving high fives just for that text :lol:
:lmao:
This shirt is possibly the most amazing thing I have seen all day.

I don't have a story about myself being the person wearing U2 shirt, but I did experience something interesting (last month in Paris) thanks to someone else's U2 merchandise. The day after the Paris show, my friend and I are sight-seeing around the city. While waiting to cross the street, we notice a guy standing in front of us - he has a backpack with U2360 Tour Logo on it. We thought it was kind of odd-it is not something sold on merchandise stand, and it def. didn't look like a patch that he just glued on. So my friend decides to ask him about it. We started off with "Do you speak English?" in a very british accent, he says he does. We ask him about the bag, and where he got it - he smiles, and says that is merchandise that crew gets. And adds "My brother works for them, so he gave this to me". Of course, being nosy die-hard fans, we want to know what exactly his brother does. All casual, he goes "Oh, he is the lighting designer for the tour". The two of us "YOU ARE WILLI'S BROTHER????!!!". The man just stood there, looking at us, going "You know Willi?"
We had to explain to him that we don't *know him*, but know who he is, of course. The man ends up introducing us to his wife and another couple who were there with him. Turns out they were in town for the show and were heading back home later that day. It was quite an interesting encounter at an intersection in the middle of Paris.

I don't have a story about myself being the person wearing U2 shirt, but I did experience something interesting (last month in Paris) thanks to someone else's U2 merchandise. The day after the Paris show, my friend and I are sight-seeing around the city. While waiting to cross the street, we notice a guy standing in front of us - he has a backpack with U2360 Tour Logo on it. We thought it was kind of odd-it is not something sold on merchandise stand, and it def. didn't look like a patch that he just glued on. So my friend decides to ask him about it. We started off with "Do you speak English?" in a very british accent, he says he does. We ask him about the bag, and where he got it - he smiles, and says that is merchandise that crew gets. And adds "My brother works for them, so he gave this to me". Of course, being nosy die-hard fans, we want to know what exactly his brother does. All casual, he goes "Oh, he is the lighting designer for the tour". The two of us "YOU ARE WILLI'S BROTHER????!!!". The man just stood there, looking at us, going "You know Willi?"
We had to explain to him that we don't *know him*, but know who he is, of course. The man ends up introducing us to his wife and another couple who were there with him. Turns out they were in town for the show and were heading back home later that day. It was quite an interesting encounter at an intersection in the middle of Paris.

Oh wow, that's SO cool! :)

I was stupid enough not to buy a shirt from the Vertigo tour, I'm not proud to say it and it's be something I'll regret for the rest of my life.

I wear my Rattle & Hum t-shirts quite often, but unfortunately I have no stories to share.

Don't be so hard on yourself, Fernando. I was fortunate to buy a Vertigo shirt during that tour, but I wasn't too crazy about the choices of shirts. I liked 360 2009 better. I got two shirts from that tour.

I wore my JT shirt a couple of times in high school after the show, and got razzed for it. I've never met a U2 fan IRL outside of concerts. I've met several people who say 'I hate U2' whenever I mention them, and my response is always "Well, there a millions of people who disagree with you. And I'm one of them." End of conversation.

goat

rivergoat said:
I wore my JT shirt a couple of times in high school after the show, and got razzed for it. I've never met a U2 fan IRL outside of concerts. I've met several people who say 'I hate U2' whenever I mention them, and my response is always "Well, there a millions of people who disagree with you. And I'm one of them." End of conversation.

goat

Awesome.

images

I will never forget the time I drove from Toronto to NJ to see U2 on Oct 28, 2001 at Continental Airlines Arena. The girl I was dating at the time came with me and we stayed in a crappy hotel somewhere. We decided that we wanted to get some drinks so we went to some bar where there was a bunch of shady characters. As I was drinking in the bar, they were playing hip-hop from a juke box as well as top 40. It was the night before U2 so I figured I'd get my drink on. I got to chatting with a bunch of the locals there who were still reeling from the tragedy of 9/11. After several conversations, it was obvious to people that I was the out of towner from Toronto.

U2 Setlist - E. Rutherford - Oct 28, 2001 - U2tours.com
(my picture featured in the link above)

While wearing the shirt pictured above, a fellow black dude came up to me and said with lots of anger in his voice, "Who's the four white dudes on your shirt?" So I replied back in a rude tone, "Wait a sec....you don't know who the fuck these guys are?"

My mistake.......

Brotherman gets right in my face and this has only happened once in my life.

He pulls out a switchblade knife in front of my face. "Who you think you talkin' to with that tone?"

At first I thought it was a joke. I was scared shitless. I was in disbelief. Was this really happening? Why is this guy getting all vexed with me. Holy fawk. Then I realized that I can't go see U2 tomorrow if I am lying in emergency or six feet under. I proceed to politely educate the dude about who U2 is and songs they sing.......and how it will be the biggest concert tomorrow night and I guarantee it will be in the paper in the morning. I must of seemed awfully scared. Especially since I'm far away from home.

Maybe it was the conviction that I used to talk about the band I hold so dear to my heart.....But after a bit he put the knife away. I then said to him, "I bet if I go over to the jukebox, I can find at least one U2 album in there."

So we walked over to the CD juke box and sure enough.....Achtung Baby was staring me right in the face.

His demeanor changes and he asks for me to put a track on.

I think I can proudly say, "Mysterious Ways" allowed me to walk out of the bar on my own two feet. I don't know NJ very well......I'm hoping when I go back in 2011 that things are very different. Thank goodness I've never been in that kinda situation ever again.

That area in North Jersey is quite shady, not a great place to hang.

I don't have a shirt story but people often stop to ask me why I have a spaceman on my car. Its the zoobaby. When I tell them its U2 related they say, "oooooooooohhhhh" but are confused.

Back
Top Bottom