Another tour, another rumour of the band calling it quits:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ALL of the rumours about U2 breaking up are coming from this remark...

...taken completely out of context by the Mirror and the 20 or so other outlets which have been claiming since March that "Larry Mullen says breakup is imminent"

U2 in Their Own Words : Rolling Stone

Larry Mullen Jr.: We don't always like each other but we respect each other, and we love each other. Marriages don't last this long. Will it stop working at some time? I'm sure it will. It's not indefinite. There will be a time where it's like, "It's time to go," and I would like that time to be on a high when you're still achieving, as opposed to on the curve down. That'll be sad for me. I think it'll be a more dignified time to actually go, "You know what? That's the end of that period" and we might come back in five years time and may do something together just for old times sake 'cause we know we'll want to. And I think that'll be a beautiful end to a long a beautiful career.

No [I haven't discussed this with my bandmates]. We don't discuss a lot of things. I'm just saying what I imagine it would be like, but I don't know. Of course it can't go on forever. It just can't. And if it ended tomorrow, would it be sad? Sure. But it wouldn't be the end of the world. It helps, I imagine, that you have a family, that you have a life outside the band. As a younger man would it have felt like the end of the world? I think it would have been more difficult. But my family is obviously important, as is everybody's in the band. It's an important part of our life.

The bit that's in bold has been cut out of this article in Rolling Stone by some other website which started this whole breakup rumor, and pasted together, so you end up with this:

There will be a time where it's like, "It's time to go," and I would like that time to be on a high when you're still achieving, as opposed to on the curve down. That'll be sad for me. We might come back in five years time and may do something together just for old times sake 'cause we know we'll want to. And I think that'll be a beautiful end to a long a beautiful career.

Larry is in no way suggesting that this particular tour is the last tour. Edge even said in the same interview that if he left the band now, he'd try to keep making music, but when he went looking for collaborators he'd realize there was no one better than his bandmates to jam with. So basically, the Daily Mirror and about 20 odd other news websites are trying to put a spin on this for an "exclusive" story. Anyone who got worried after reading the two articles which came out yesterday or the others which appeared around March can put those fears to rest.

Yay! :)

Well of course it is not going to last forever. I personally don't see them being 60 and going on tour. But I also don't see them as a band that will split up because they can no longer get along... which is what some articles have been suggesting. The chemistry and the bond that these 4 guys have has never been more obvious to me, then this past Friday night at Croke.

Remember this quote from Bono in 1989:

"We've had a lot of fun over the last few months, just getting to know some of the music which we didn't know so much about -- and still don't know very much about, but it was fun! ... this is just the end of something for U2. And that's what we're playing these concerts -- and we're throwing a party for ourselves and you. It's no big deal, it's just -- we have to go away and ... and dream it all up again."

After that, everyone thought that U2 were going to split up. So, big deal!

a very reliable source told me that The Edge screams the lyrics of "So Cruel" to Bono every morning.

P1000125.jpg

Yes. This band would totally call it quits right now. They're totally fighting. :|

Back
Top Bottom