Andy Rowen, the inspiration behind "Bad"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Y2K

Refugee
So, I was under the impression that the true inspiration behind "Bad" had never been revealed before, other than that it was about heroin addiction in Dublin.

Then before the band's performance of the band in Pittsburgh this week, Bono introduced it as a song written for a "very special man, who is here in your city, who grew up on Cedarwood Road. We wrote this song about him and we play it for him tonight." The person in question is Andy Rowen, brother of Guggi and Peter Rowen (the "boy" from the album covers).

Is this news to anyone else? This is the first time I've heard of any one specific person inspiring the song.

This is the first time I've heard that. But Bono does tend to change his version of U2's history to suit the current setting/climate from time to time. For instance, the inspiration behind One has gone from Edge's divorce to the relationship between a gay son and his father, and I'm sure next decade it will probably change again. That's NOT a criticism, but just sayin' Bono likes to 'update' things.

I think I remember hearing that Bad was about a specific person in the past, but that specific person not being revealed before now.

This is the first time I've heard that. But Bono does tend to change his version of U2's history to suit the current setting/climate from time to time. For instance, the inspiration behind One has gone from Edge's divorce to the relationship between a gay son and his father, and I'm sure next decade it will probably change again. That's NOT a criticism, but just sayin' Bono likes to 'update' things.
This. In 1984, Bono mentioned that the song was written for a friend of his who OD'ed and died on heroin. Andy Rowan is still alive....

can't you OD without dying?

:reject:

The term drug overdose (or simply overdose or OD) describes the ingestion or application of a drug or other substance in quantities greater than are recommended[1] or generally practiced.[2] An overdose may result in a toxic state or death.[2]

Last edited:
Mid-Late 80s Bad intros "this is a song, written about a good friend of mine/ours...who, on his 21st birthday, was given enough heroin..to kill him"

So, the story's changed a lil bit..

Did Bono also mention Andy Warhol or did this journalist misunderstand him?

"During the latter song, Bono gave a shoutout to Pittsburgh native Andy Warhol, who probably was doing a quick recalculation somewhere.

With this stunning performance, U2 proved that its fame was built to last a lot longer than 15 minutes."

The Cleveland Plain-Dealer, 2011.

:hmm:

Before a performance of Bad during the Unforgettable Fire Tour, Bono does mention that this childhood friend who inspired the song "very nearly didn't make it past his 21st birthday". It's from a 1985 show in Daly City, CA (San Francisco). So still around, but also still battling the addiction from the sound of it. :(

Mid-Late 80s Bad intros "this is a song, written about a good friend of mine/ours...who, on his 21st birthday, was given enough heroin..to kill him"

I have this bootleg and yes, it was stated. However, Bono did not state he actually died - just that he had enough to in theory kill him. People can (and do) overdose without dieing.

If it is indeed this person, I am happy to hear he is alive and hopefully his addiction is a thing of the past.

gvox said:

Maybe he was given enough to kill him, but it didn't kill him? It *could have*, but didn't? I dunno.

Andy Rowan

Hi there, I am aware that it is now 2018 but here goes. Last Sunday i met Andy Rowan, I work in a Prison in Dublin and a work colleague had told me in passing that "that guys" Brother was the "Boy" On the U2 album cover of the same name. Andy comes in to the Prison these days and does great work with some of the younger prisoners. I engaged him in conversation and he told me that he was the subject of the song Bad. He followed up by telling me that he found himself in a rehab facility in Cleveland where he was befriended by a guy who used to volunteer there on occasions. This guy took him to the Rock and roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland where he spent about three hours enjoying all they had to offer. When they were heading out they spotted one final room that they had missed earlier, they went in and this is where he saw what he described as a flattened out piece of paper with hand written song lyrics which he recognized as the lyrics to the song that was written about himself. He said it was like a religious experience, a kind of an epiphany in his life that helped him move forward. He called his companion and told him the story but was pretty sure he didn't believe him. A few months later however his brother who went by the name of Guggi and who would have been a musical contemporary and friend of the U2 guys and who is now a highly respected artist rang Andy and told him that their would be two tickets for him at the box office for U2's Philadelphia show. He brought his friend from the Hall of Fame and the tickets turned out to be access all areas passes. He had bought himself a cheap phone and had told family only to only call him if absolutely necessary as he would also be charged for their calls. Anyway, bizarrely as he thought, his phone rang and it was a publicist who told him that Bono would love to see him if he had made it to the concert. They hooked up for an emotional reunion and Andy's friend finally believed his story. All these years later he tells me that he's writing a book which I'll certainly look forward to reading. The small road that Andy and Bono grew up on was top heavy with talent, if interested Google The Virgin Prunes, Gavin Friday for a start, and the area was also home to a lot of guys who went on to make names for themselves as prominent radio DJ's. Well folks, don't know if anyone will read this after so many years but there you go, it is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom