"America's Song"...better move fast to download it!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

God Part II

The Fly
For those of you not in the know, recently Bono (along with a cavalcade of who-gives-a-crap celebrities) contributed vocals to a performance of a new (rather overwrought, IMO) song called "America's Song" on Oprah's talk show. An official 192kbps free download of the track is available today only!; go here: ..:: U2Wanderer.Org - U2 Discography and U2 Lyrics ::... Look at the 1/19 news update, right click on the link that says "free download" and select Save As.

What are you still doing here??? Go do it now, before it's gone!!!

Ouch. Yeah, it's a lot of puffery but I'm obsessed with collecting everything any member of the band has even breathed on, so if anyone's like me...

For those who haven't heard it, Bono's easily the best thing about it.

This song is so bad everyone in this thread would rather ride a roller coaster with no seat- belt than listen to it again.

Awful, awful. Personally I never had a problem with America, however, I've changed my mind after hearing this.

Seal and Bono are easily the best things about this song. Where the women tried to out-diva each other, Bono's use of lower tones, subtle notes and power when required really made this horribly cheesy song bearable. Seal did a great job of singing, without quite over-singing. Seal came close to competing with the women, but fortunately, held back just enough. Mary J. Blige has a great voice, but does she need to belt out every single word? Where's the subtlety and nuance in her singing? It's just one long belt-fest! And that's unfortunate because she really has a great voice.

If I were there, perhaps I would have been caught up in the moment, but watching it was horrific. Again, Bono stood out, I'm happy to say. This isn't always true (I hated Bono's performance on the 2004 version of "Do They Know It's Chrismas" where his Springsteen imitation fell flat).

I would say download it only if you want a collection of U2 or U2-related material. But if you're looking for a great song, uh... :wave:

Back
Top Bottom