Alternate Breathe - DO NOT POST REQUESTS HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Breathe as is is too busy. The cello just doesn't work. It would have been ok to come in after the solo, but it turns a primary colours, quality rocker into a song with excellent potential suffering from an identity crisis.

Would love to hear all the alternate versions of the beach clips in studio quality. I don't think UC or Magnificent changed too much, but CT as 'Diorama' sounded etheral and beautiful. Breathe seemed much more textured and structured

if anybody could point me in the direction of the alternate clips online, that would be neat.

i agree with Lemon Melon's post -- I think breathe is pretty much perfect, and it might be my favorite song off of NLOTH, or at least a close second to MOS or the title track. just depends on the day for me.

I liked Unknown Caller 1000 times more before I could make out the lyrics. I was so excited for that song.

(1st verse) 18th of July on the banks of a not well-known river, I started a journey to where I am now. Troublesome, troublemaker, guided by the drums of my creator towards a rhythm, a rhyme, a melody line of a song called freedom, which once heard will never leave your head. Rolihlahla, on a day like this, it's love that gives us courage to resist.

(chorus) Agape love forged like steel in the fire. Agape love like a whisper that calls us to walk out into the street with your arms out and the people you meet are neither down nor out, hey there is nothing you have that I need. I can breathe. I can breathe.

(2nd verse) All those who stand together, fist in air, now know this -- that real division is not a scar on the land, but in the hearts of every man who began as a kiss not to resist, and not a fist. Now an open hand, an open face, an open page where history might rewrite its rage.

(chorus) Agape love forged like steel in the fire. Agape love whispering to us to walk out into the street, sing your hearts out to the people you meet, neither down nor out, hey there is nothing you have that I need. I can breathe, I can breathe.

That's 1:0 for the album version right there, even if the music is the best tune of their lives. Eno hype, perhaps ?

the second verse is exactly the same as first clip we had of breathe. I think it was recorded outside of Dublin studio? file i have is only 1:53, and its not the beach clip.

the second verse is exactly the same as first clip we had of breathe. I think it was recorded outside of Dublin studio? file i have is only 1:53, and its not the beach clip.

Yeah, I think from all of this we can safely say the South African version was the original, beach clip was a revision, and the album version was a re-do.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the Agape lyrics intrigue me and that I'd like to hear the thing.

I finally listened to it. To be honest, I didn't hear much since it was so short and interrupted by interviews and stuff, but from what I heard it didn't sound that different to me than the album version, except for some lyrics (which I couldn't really make out). It sounded a bit over-instrumented. I think it's a good thing they didn't use that version for the album. The documentary was very interesting, though.

It's a lot more raw, and the horns playing over the solo is kind of kool. Definitely a different take.

I ripped it if you would like to give me your email addresses.

I will only send to the first few people. I would expect that someone will set up a request thread, and those who I send it to will in turn send it to a few people each.

Thanks, Dan.

This isn't good at all IMO, the horns sound awful and in the verses Bono sounds like he's just throwing words together regardless of how they fit with the rhythm. The sound quality is great, but this isn't worthy of release.

Save for the strings and horns, which I can't stand, I like the production - I can't put my finger on what is different from the album version, but it sounds more raw, and a little cleaner. I like that. I also like the rambling Bono - lyrics are somewhat cringeworthy but also pure Bono - love it or hate it. I would have liked to see the full thing as a b-side. Shame it won't happen.

there were a few versions. as i said earlier this thread, the lyrics match up exactly to the Dublin HQ clip we have of the song.

then, there's a different beach clip version, which has the new lyrics, but is slightly different from the final version. I would assume that's also Eno and Lanois, since Crazy tonight was all calm and subdued during those clips.

Then the final version, Lillywhite, is what we have.

the beach clip version of Crazy Tonight is the one unreleased song I most want to hear from them. when they first leaked, that was the one I was most excited for

Isn't this the pre-Lillywhite version ? The credits only mention Eno and Lanois as producers ...

Actually the version on the 10" may be diferent, as Eno and Lanois are not mentioned in the credits, just Declan Gaffney, who worked on both this album and NLOTH.

Back
Top Bottom