All "Is U2 Breaking Up" Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i've been saying it for a couple days now. i do think NLOTH was U2's last album. just a gut feeling.

He then said "probably not" and that the rest of the band is tired of him saying these things. Also the Q interview with Edge today had him talking about new songs, so yeah, NLOTH isn't the end.

Can we read the Q interview anywhere?

Bono needs to go back to (a secret studio) in the south of France and be quiet. Honestly.

:doh:

:)

i've been saying it for a couple days now. i do think NLOTH was U2's last album. just a gut feeling.

GOD I hope this is not the last one, but I said at the beginning of the tour when Bono sang wowy and he hung up the "suit of lights" it was symbolic and then he waived goodbye. :( It definitely had that vibe to me as much as I hate to admit it. :( Also, U2 is never going to annouce it, they aren't doing a farewell tour so ...
On the other hand I think this tour wore them out so asking them now what the future is and if they want to do it all over again, I would question it also. It's natural. They just need to do something else and get re-inspired. Bono will get revved up about something and off they go! :)

More of the same. I hope this Bonophase doesn't last long.

NLOTH will not be their last album. Unless they are making music, and staying "relevant", a lot of the doors that open for Bono in the boardrooms and staterooms around the world will close...and his ego won't allow him to become a second-tier concerned international rock star like Geldof. He'll get over this. What else is he going to do?

And in any event I don't think Larry will let him leave his band. :)

More of the same. I hope this Bonophase doesn't last long.

NLOTH will not be their last album. Unless they are making music, and staying "relevant", a lot of the doors that open for Bono in the boardrooms and staterooms around the country will close...and his ego won't allow him to become a second-tier concerned international rock star like Geldof. He'll get over this. What else is he going to do?

And in any event I don't think Larry will let him leave his band. :)

Positive thought. I went from walking around on a high after finding out about the Q Awards win to fearing a... a...:huh:

Don't leave us now! Bono needs to uh, go back to Africa and see that there are bigger problems than relevancy. Then make the new album and tour it

GOD I hope this is not the last one, but I said at the beginning of the tour when Bono sang wowy and he hung up the "suit of lights" it was symbolic and then he waived goodbye. :( It definitely had that vibe to me as much as I hate to admit it. :( Also, U2 is never going to annouce it, they aren't doing a farewell tour so ...
On the other hand I think this tour wore them out so asking them now what the future is and if they want to do it all over again, I would question it also. It's natural. They just need to do something else and get re-inspired. Bono will get revved up about something and off they go! :)

yeah, and i really can't point to any specific signs. just this weird feeling that we're going to be blindsided one day to a U2.com announcement that the band has retired. i hope i'm wrong.

Ask Bono a tough question and you might get a tougher answer. U2 are about to release their most expansive reissue project yet, for 1991's Achtung Baby – the album where they traded in earnest uplift for funk, noise, sex, irony and self-doubt. So how does this lavish look back square with the band's old lyric "You glorify the past when the future dries up"?

"I'm not so sure the future hasn't dried up," says Bono, who's been irritating his bandmates lately by publicly questioning U2's relevance – despite the fact that they just finished the highest-grossing tour of all time. "The band are like, 'Will you shut up about being irrelevant?'" he says. But Bono can't help himself – even though U2 have been in and out of the studio with various producers recently, he raises the possibility that the band may have released its final album. "We'd be very pleased to end on No Line on the Horizon," he says, before acknowledging the unlikelihood of that scenario: "I doubt that."

Bono concedes that revisiting the album where U2 punched themselves out of a tight corner – after 1988's Rattle and Hum movie and album helped convince some music fans they were hopelessly solemn and pompous – suggested a way forward. "Ironically, being forced to look back at this period reminds me of how we might re-emerge for the next phase," says Bono. "And that doesn't mean that you have to wear some mad welder's goggles or dress up in women's clothing. Reinvention is much deeper than that."

Sounds like band about to quit ?

I say this is again the usual journalist crap.

It says something in the title and then something different in the body. Rubbish.

I don't think NLOTH will be U2's last album. But would I be ok if it was? Yes. It's a fantastic album, and I'd much rather they end with that awesome statement than go and humiliate themselves with a never-ending string of producers and aborted recording sessions, and the endless (and fruitless) quest for "relevance."

They're using the same soundbites that they were using before NLOTH: "We want to get lost in the music," "It's nice to make music without a specific direction or a deadline," (Edge says that in the Q video) etc. I think that's just a sign that they're not ready to get serious yet about another album cycle, probably because of the massive tour they just finished. Once the novelty of having all this free time wears off, they'll get busy again.

While some of you have had a feeling that the band might quit, I've had the feeling that we are about to see another U2 evolution. Bono's quote from RS hints at that, which is encouraging, and shows that he knows this current era has gone as far as it can:

"Ironically, being forced to look back at this period reminds me of how we might re-emerge for the next phase," says Bono.

"THE NEXT PHASE." :up:

That stuff about NLOTH being the last is just Bono being a drama queen, as are his statements about relevance and not being on the radio. It's good to hear that the rest of the band don't agree with him on that. But if this frustration fuels his creativity, then so be it; use it for the next era.

It would be sad if NLOTH was the last album. I wish they wouldn't think about breaking up but just take a break and try to conceptualize the artistic process without trying to support a massively bloated tour. If they made 3 albums without touring, they would probably rediscover the spark that set the flame. Right now they are writing albums for radio and tanking on the radio. They need to record without even thinking about that. Just creating a work that says something and speaks whatever they want to say, not whatever will be popular. U2 should be far from breaking up with they can switch into a more mature mode of creating music together.

Bono+Bono+Ali+Hewson+Stroll+Through+Central+hmyPOavQujvl.jpg

We have so many [new] songs, some of our best. But I'm putting some time aside to just go and get lost in the music. I want to take my young boys and my wife and just disappear with my iPod Nano and some books and an acoustic guitar."

Yeah, because Bono has NEVER talked like that before :blahblah:

And then he also says:

We have so many [new] songs, some of our best

:lol:

And on Interference, the sky is falling again. He surely does that on purpose to keep us entertained.

Now off to the studio, boys.

yeah, and i really can't point to any specific signs. just this weird feeling that we're going to be blindsided one day to a U2.com announcement that the band has retired. i hope i'm wrong.

On the up side, when that happens, we will no longer have to have 18,032 threads arguing about when their next album will come out, whether or not Bono's voice will be better on Tuesday than it was last week Monday, if they pick the right lead-off single, the setlists of the tour, and whether or not Bono's hair looks stupid in this new era.

Oh dear. This is just Bono being typically Bono. "We have so many new songs, SOME OF OUR BEST"??? I can imagine the other three tearing out their hair each time he opens his mouth.

I wish the band would just go to different continents and make their own solo projects. No speaking to each other and no letting the others listen to what they're doing. No peer group pressure. It might just give them a renewed energy and lift a weight off their shoulders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom