All "Is U2 Breaking Up" Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear, your code is wrong..:D

Yes, few days ago I was in my dorm bathroom and some person was blasting her music while she showered. Atrocious rap about weed and the like (And not in a Bob Marley way, either. I forgot the lyrics). I worry for the younger generation, is it really all fuck and chug to them?

I think there is hope for commercial radio still. Half the listeners like the rap stuff ( :shrug:), but half can appreciate a decent melody. The youtube searches suggests this too, where people hear a melodious line and search something like "U2 walk on by walk on through" "u2 baby baby light my way". I think it's people liking the melody, not knowing the song title, and wanting to find the song.

I genuinely don't understand the fuss about MOS. :shrug: For me, it's one of the weakest tracks on the album. Sure, it makes for an interesting read that it originated in a faulty drum loop of Eno's, that the song was mostly improvised on the spot subsequently and how moved everyone in the studio was afterwards, but as a song it simply doesn't work for me. And it's not a general dislike of hymns/ballads either; I like Cedars of Lebanon a lot and I appreciate Grace a lot more than most Interferencers do. It's MOS in particular that doesn't appeal to me at all.

To each his own, I suppose. But when I hear people saying that they wish songs like MOS are the direction U2 will take for their next album, I can only sincerely hope they won't.
So what specifically about the song doesn't work for you?

Right... and there will always be small groups of kids with taste who are more intrigued by older acts than with those of their own era. They'll always exist. But its not the norm.

The majority of us are U2 diehards over the stones or the Beatles because U2 are/were the band of OUR generation. Doesn't mean there isn't a love or respect for those who came before, but its just not the same.

And guess what... we're getting old. And so are they. Eventually the goals of your youth simply aren't realistic, and you move on and set new goals.

To quote chris rock... nobody wants to be the old guy in the club. Not really old, just a little too old to be in the club.

U2 aren't done. They just need to embrace a different kind of relevancy and stop trying to embrace this ancient concept of pop chart dominance and being hip and cool with the kids.

yeah, like the old guy in the club, it's definitely embarrassing, overkill, and smacks of desperation...

i think the concept of relevancy is so random though and not something they can successfully embrace and control - they can embrace it all they want and still end up irrelevant... it's not something that can be manufactured...

thinking of the kids thing, in my experience there's been a major cultural aspect too - we live in France and U2 are still perceived as pretty cool by teenagers, even among my kids' schoolfriends, whereas that just isn't the case in the UK... yeah so definitely not the norm lol!

So what specifically about the song doesn't work for you?

Bono's voice, for one. Eno calls it "heartbreaking agonized and vulnerable"; to me it sounds kinda forced or as if Bono had been running a marathon moments before recording the song.

Also, musically it isn't very elaborate. Which makes sense for an improvised song; the session would've failed quickly if Edge would've gone experimenting with complex chord progressions and Adam would've been trying out crazy bass loops. For me, however, 7 minutes of 6-chord verses interspersed with 4-chord choruses doesn't make for an interesting listen. It just drags on and on.

i see kids wearing stones shirts all the time.

the last time i saw someone aged 0 to 24 wearing a u2 shirt was at a u2 concert.

You should look at me more often then. :wink: I wear them a couple of times a week. Mostly my Zoobaby or Popmart lemon one, as they don't actually state they're U2 so people ask about it.

i see kids wearing stones shirts all the time.

the last time i saw someone aged 0 to 24 wearing a u2 shirt was at a u2 concert.

That just means that they're fans. Generally of the band's early material. How many of those kids wear Stones shirts because of the band's recent work?

I think relevance has to be connected to recent work.

All these instances are anecdotal at best. If Bono knows how to make plans on ending extreme poverty as a whole, he understands that to really win over the teens/ cool 'uns as a whole, they need to be #1 on the Top 40 charts.

I'm sure they enjoy seeing young faces in the pit, but it's definitely not the whole cake to Bono.

I just realised that the young audience during Beautiful Day's release are now no longer U2's target audience. If you were 18 during BD's release, they wanted you then, but now that you're just shy of 30, you're in the old crowd. Yeah, I think the band's cut-off definition of 'old audience' is 30 years. Bono specifically said "not just people in their 30s" in this NLOTH MTV interview, and I think there are other instances of other band members using 30-somethings as a cut-off.

Many U2 fans I've met this summer look much younger than they really are, so maybe we can deceive the band too :hmm:

I don't understand the hate for NLOTH. It's one of the U2 albums that I keep wanting to play over and over again. I like just about every song on it, except "Stand Up Comedy." I generally prefer NLOTH over some of U2's more popular albums, such as Joshua Tree (which, as far as I'm concerned, has five or six absolutely spectacular songs and the rest is just filler).

I especially love "Magnificent" and thought it should have been a huge hit. I love NLOTH's moody, experimental aspect and was particularly impressed with the thoughtfulness of "Cedars of Lebanon." There is genuine emotion in tracks like "Moment of Surrender" and "White as Snow." I don't why there isn't greater appreciation for this. If you wanted an album full of silly pop songs ... well, I guess that's why they threw in "Get On Your Boots."

I don't care what anybody says. I'm going to continue to listen to NLOTH and enjoy it.

I don't think there's "hate" for NLOTH. If there were, I'd be suprised. NLOTH has been very well received by most fans and also by critics. I don't even think U2 hate NLOTH, that would be ridiculous. Bono still says it's a great album, he's just disappointed that it didn't take off commercially and, to some extend, live, but that's a different issue, we've argued about that enough. I think Bono's right to love NLOTH and be disappointed that it wasn't received better, but he's wrong about the whole "hits" and radio airplay issue.

I do agree with those who say that NLOTH is up there with U2's classic albums. I still listen to it a lot and I'm sad the band decided to drop so many of the album songs live, since I really feel they worked very well.

It may have to do with them feeling awkward about playing One in that room during from the sky down but the band looked TIRED -especially larry, even lately whenever he plays. Bono's voice sounds very weak. I dont know. I personally think they should give us one more album then hang it up - They cant re-create another achtung baby at this age though I hope I'm wrong.

Guggi says U2 Considering Breakup?

Couldn't see this posted anywhere else:

Unforgettable fire flickering out as U2 ponder end of the road - Music, Entertainment - Independent.ie

LEGENDARY rockers U2 are thinking "very seriously" about breaking up, one of their closest friends believes.

Artist Derek 'Guggi' Rowan, a childhood friend of U2 frontman Bono, says the band are weighing up their options, and a split remains very much on the cards.

Bono fuelled frenetic speculation about the future of the band, who have been together for 35 years. He has been questioning the band's relevance, despite recently completing the highest grossing music tour in history.

Guggi said yesterday: "I get the impression that they're thinking, and thinking very seriously about it (breaking up)."

But he also said there has been no confirmation one way or the other from Bono as regards the group's future intentions.

"I was walking through Easons and the break-up story was on the front cover of a tabloid newspaper. I was with Bono days before I read it and he didn't say anything to me about it,'' he said.

Asked whether he believes now is the time for such a landmark decision, he stressed the band will know when the time is right to call it a day.

"I love hanging out with them when they're on the road. What I would like them to do is whatever is best for them as artists -- that has got to be the number one priority,'' he stressed.

Guggi's comments at Inclusion Ireland's 50th Anniversary Competition at the Art Fair in the RDS will spark fresh fears that the end is nigh for the Irish rockers.

The four U2 members have been playing together since they were teens, and under the careful management of Paul McGuinness, have become one of the most successful rock groups of all time, raking up multi-million euro fortunes in the process.

Last month, 'Rolling Stone' magazine interviewed Bono, when he first began hinting that the U2 juggernaut may have finally run its course. He expressed fears that the band may have lost its momentum and perhaps the time had come for himself, Larry Mullen Jnr, The Edge and Adam Clayton to part company sometime in 2012.

"I'm not so sure the future hasn't dried up," said the 51-year-old. "It's quite likely you might hear from us next year but it's equally possible that you won't.

"We have so many new songs, some of our best. But I'm putting some time aside to just go and get lost in the music. I want to take my young boys, and my wife, and just disappear with my iPod Nano and some books and an acoustic guitar."

Frenzied rumours quickly followed, with fans and critics alike posting messages on the internet, lamenting the possible end to one of the greatest music odysseys of recent decades.

But Bono also admitted that he has been getting some stick from bandmates about his ongoing doubts over U2's future. "The band are like, 'Will you shut up about being irrelevant?'"

The group recently re-released their 1991 classic album 'Achtung Baby', but Bono has expressed worry about whether the band holds the same clout it once did.

But he said re-releasing the classic album has proved something of a cathartic experience and may pave the way for a new direction for U2.

"Being forced to look back at this period reminds me of how we might re-emerge for the next phase," he says. "And that doesn't mean that you have to wear some mad welder's goggles or dress up in women's clothing. Reinvention is much deeper than that.''

Over more than three decades in the business, U2 have released 12 studio albums and have sold more than 150 million records worldwide.

This guy is speculating, says that there is no confirmation from Bono one way or the other, yet it's a headline?:huh:

Nothing new here.

I'm sorry, this is just bullish**t pumped up by Bono and his cronies to try to recreate the AB-era angst in the eyes of the public. Then U2 triumphantly returns in a couple years after "coming to the brink" of breakup. It would be somewhat compelling if it wasn't so sad, calculated and predictable to anyone thats followed this band. What exactly is Bono going to do if U2 "breaks up?" At a minimum, his ego won't allow it.

Don't get me wrong...I think they are having a genuine "what's next" moment and time of re-evaluation of who they are as a band, etc.. It's a logical time to do that, they've just finished what I'd regard as their 4th "phase". I'm just not buying the break up talk and I don't think it's anywhere near the crisis Bono pretends it to be.

The difference between now and 20 years ago is then it was genuine, now it's just more Bono blather. I don't believe this any more that I believed it when he said Bomb was the best album they ever made. He's saying what he thinks he needs to.

I don't buy it. And I doubt the rest of the boys (especially Larry) thinks its all that charming. And I've seen Larry in a fist-fight...I doubt Bono want to keep pushing him like this.

Ah, I see Bono's now got an accomplice in spreading the rumour that U2 are breaking up. :rolleyes:

Seeing as Adam has said in a recent interview that they will be in the studio again with Danger Mouse in January, I think Guggi's remarks should be taken with a spoonful of salt.

This sure has been a brilliant marketing move. So much free publicity over one little Bono hyperbole.

I'm glad that this article claims the rest of the band wants him to shut up as much as we do though. :wink:

This is clearly all very manufactured by Bono. The thing is - it might backfire. If Bono keeps spreading the word they are on the brink of splitting, soon people are going to get pissed off and say "Well FUCKING DO IT THEN! Don't just talk about it and bore our arses off!" And when U2 do return their reception will be flatter than a pancake run over by a steam roller. Bono is actually jeopardizing U2's chances of a big comeback.

I Agree with you guys - it does seem Bono's speculation here is being used to create the same situation for the band that existed between Rattle and Hum and Achtung baby (not that i'm complaining).

I remember doing this (awful) media course in secondary school, where we got to sift through these really old music magazines. I was already a fan of the band at this moment, and remember seeing an article in NME or something from 1990 titled 'U2 breaking up?'. It had the same kind of hyperbole we're seeing now, i.e. "Bono says he's not sure where the band are going now", "wouldn't be surprised if they broke up", "Sources close to the band say the end is near" etc.
Seems very apparent that they want to have that sense of jeopardy around them again, to give themselves a real reason to be fighting to make a special album.

I agree with lemonfly, i hope that any hints of a breakup are kept to an appropriate, subtle level. If they jabber on about it to an excessive level, everyone will just be expecting it, and will possibly be annoyed that they are 'talking the talk but not walking the walk' so to speak. Then when they do return (in what is meant to be a triumphant/surprise comeback) everyone will be disappointed/see it as a marketing ploy from miles away, which would be a massive shame, considering how big this next album needs to be to bounce back from NLOTH.

That's no news, though. The "The band are like, 'Will you shut up about being irrelevant?'" quote is from the 24 October RS interview.

Yeah I know, but it means the makers of this new article at least checked their sources right. Because most of them are just using random quotes from RS that make it seem like u2 are breaking up. This one actually uses a contra argument as well, namely that the rest of the band doesn't agree. :) Sometimes Bono just needs a bit of a slap on the cheek to wake him up from his relevancy dreams and to return him to his day job. Making music.

I don't think any of us give a shite whether the next album goes huge in the charts and gets number 1 hits with whatever single they release. We just want new material that we love. Who cares about the mainstream?

Then when they do return (in what is meant to be a triumphant/surprise comeback) everyone will be disappointed/see it as a marketing ploy from miles away, which would be a massive shame, considering how big this next album needs to be to bounce back from NLOTH.

I really disagree with this. For one thing, I don't think they need to "bounce back" from NLOTH. It was a great album. Secondly, I think the last thing need to do is try to go "big" for the next album. They just spent 3 years doing big.

Just make great music boys. The rest will take care of itself.

For one thing, I don't think they need to "bounce back" from NLOTH.

Yes, but Bono does. And, unlike ours, his vote counts.

:wink:

I love the album too. And although they seemed to have backed off a bit from the earlier disappointment they'd expressed, I think they still see it as something from which to "bounce back."

I really disagree with this. For one thing, I don't think they need to "bounce back" from NLOTH. It was a great album. Secondly, I think the last thing need to do is try to go "big" for the next album. They just spent 3 years doing big.

Just make great music boys. The rest will take care of itself.

I'm speaking only in commercial terms. I think NLOTH was a great album as well, but they definitely need to bounce back from it (or at least they feel the need to). No singles caught fire - in fact the lead single is generally loathed - the album didn't sell as well as others, and it is generally regarded as a failure by the public (even though it didn't do that poorly).

They want to be 'relevant' etc, so of course, having another album that is received like NLOTH is against their interests. They were 'big' in the last 3 years only in terms of touring, and as we can see with the rolling stones, merely touring isn't enough to be musically relevant. They have to have popular, successful music out there competing with other bands.

I definitely agree with your last statement. You can't manufacture a successful album. They just have to write great songs, and they will do well.

I don't buy it. And I doubt the rest of the boys (especially Larry) thinks its all that charming. And I've seen Larry in a fist-fight...I doubt Bono want to keep pushing him like this.

BREAKING: Bono, bandmate Larry Mullen in "Fisticuffs" over Kardashians Uber-Shocking Divorce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom