All "Is U2 Breaking Up" Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They aren't done yet but I think this is U2's last decade. Of course they can prove me wrong if they want to. :sexywink:

^ Agreed. I believe they'll release another album in 2013 with a world tour in 2014-15, and then another album/tour cycle at the end of this decade, to end their touring contract with LiveNation, and end their career at a nice, neat 40 year mark, with the band members being at or around 60.

At this point we only have 2 new albums left, and 3 at absolute BEST case scenario. Then, hopefully, the vaults will be opened!

Well, I wouldn't say that they'll quit completely after this decade, but I would guess that they won't be touring much (if at all) after 2020. But they'll only be in their 60s by then; that might be too old to tour for long stretches, but it's by no means too old to make music and release albums. Music is what they love to do, and I can't imagine them stopping just because of their age.

Hey, I respect your right to like the album, but the Beatles never released any songs as crap as New York or Grace. IMO ATYCLB WAS their weakest album ever. I don't think you'll run into any Beatles fans who'll say that about the White album.

New York is wonderful and what is this.

Well I just hope that Bono is merely having a thought bubble in public. Either that or he is trying to fire up the rest of the band. Still it is interesting that I doubt he has ever used this sort of language. U2 has always been a forward looking band.

Also seriously if getting on the radio is their main motivation then they should give it in. That's a stupid motivation for a bunch of guys in their 50s. You can't be cool with the kids forever. Just make the best album you can and see what happens. Don't shape it or second guess yourself just to get radio play. That failed the last time around anyway.

Seems to me they need to find new dreams. We need new dreams tonight...

No, I hope it won´t be their last album, they can´t split up :( Besides, Bono once said he´d not leave the band, that he needs it and he wouln´t like to become a soloist.

People need to have faith.

I wouldnt be surprised if they can turn themselfs inside out and upside down again for the next album.

Besides, Bono once said he´d not leave the band, that he needs it and he wouln´t like to become a soloist.

Bono is about to enter his mid-fifties. I think people in their fifties are allowed to not keep being held to statements or beliefs they made years in the past.

If he's truly tired, worn-out and just generally over it, then I'm more than happy to let him go. He and his band have given me more joy, love, excitement, and unexpected friendships than I ever had a right to ask for.

Bono is about to enter his mid-fifties. I think people in their fifties are allowed to not keep being held to statements or beliefs they made years in the past.

Seriously. God forbid someone be made to keep their word to every statement they made about themselves five, ten or even twenty years ago. People change.

(Not directed at you specifically, schnumi; it is more of a general comment based on U2 fans bringing up stuff Bono/U2 have said in the past and expecting it to remain true for the rest of their lives.)

NLOTH U2's last album?

:|

These guys can not go out on that note. Sorry, but NLOTH was a huge disappointment.

Nothing more than Bono being Bono and talking. It all sounds too familiar. After Rattle and Hum they had to go away for a while and dream it all up again.... is it any coincidence that upon the 20th anniversary rerelease of the album that was the product of them dreaming it all up again Bono starts saying the same thing he did in 1989 but with different words? There is no way in hell they just stop now. It's just Bono saying shit.

I stopped reading when he placed HUTDAB in the same sentence as UF, JT and AB. To use an Irish phrase he'd be familiar with, he's a "feckin eejit".

I think this is a crafty Bono plot. Not only is the press talking about Achtung Baby, but they're talking about U2's future and tying the two together. Now U2 can have a "comeback" next year after having a "crisis" and almost breaking up.

NLOTH U2's last album?

:|

These guys can not go out on that note. Sorry, but NLOTH was a huge disappointment.

If the band enjoys ending with mediocrity, then yes, be pleased to end with NLOTH.

:reject:

Truth be told, I'm not that harsh on the whole thing altogether. But it's definitely not their strongest output, imho.

He says HTDAAB was a better album than NLOTH - thereby losing all credibility!

HTDAAB is a far better album than it gets credit for here.

That being said, the guy's premise is that NLOTH sucks without anything at all to back it up. We're just supposed to take the guy's opinion as universally accepted fact.

So what, he doesn't like GOYB.

No one here would argue that GOYB, SUC or Crazy Tonight represent U2's best output, but they're hardly as cringeworthy as, oh, I don't know, Coldplay's 2 current hits. To say nothing of the Bieber-Miley-etc crap that dominates today's radio. The only one that I wish wasn't there is SUC.

Either way, strip away the middle 3 or whatever you want to call them and you have a really strong album with, I think, the exception of Unknown Caller, which to me is mediocre.(I realize many here love it).

I don't see how

No Line
Magnificent
Moment of Surrender
White As Snow
F-Being Born
Breathe
Cedars of Lebanon

Represent anything but a band that not only has still got it, but is actually getting better with time!

That is to say nothing of 360 being the highest grossing, best attended tour in history and of the number of fans and reviewers who remarked that the 2011 shows were by far the best they'd seen from U2 in many, many years.

This is all journalist tabloid bs talk.(unfortunately, fueled by Bono, but whatever, who here doesn't expect that by now?)

U2 are going nowhere.

A year or 2 ago, I was really anxiously awaiting the next album and would flip out about any perceived delay.

The 2011 leg of 360 changed ALL of that immediately for me. For now, I am more than happy to savor an album and era as spectacular as Achtung Baby and will be happy whenever U2 decides to release new material and tour again.

Watching the AB opening barrage, seeing rare treats like Zooropa and Stay being staples and absolutely amazing performances of classics like Pride, One, Streets, Bad, I WIll Follow, Out of Control and 40 should be more than enough to make any of us proud of what U2 are still more than capable of doing!

HTDAAB is a far better album than it gets credit for here.

That being said, the guy's premise is that NLOTH sucks without anything at all to back it up. We're just supposed to take the guy's opinion as universally accepted fact.

So what, he doesn't like GOYB.

No one here would argue that GOYB, SUC or Crazy Tonight represent U2's best output, but they're hardly as cringeworthy as, oh, I don't know, Coldplay's 2 current hits. To say nothing of the Bieber-Miley-etc crap that dominates today's radio. The only one that I wish wasn't there is SUC.

Either way, strip away the middle 3 or whatever you want to call them and you have a really strong album with, I think, the exception of Unknown Caller, which to me is mediocre.(I realize many here love it).

I don't see how

No Line
Magnificent
Moment of Surrender
White As Snow
F-Being Born
Breathe
Cedars of Lebanon

Represent anything but a band that not only has still got it, but is actually getting better with time!

That is to say nothing of 360 being the highest grossing, best attended tour in history and of the number of fans and reviewers who remarked that the 2011 shows were by far the best they'd seen from U2 in many, many years.

This is all journalist tabloid bs talk.(unfortunately, fueled by Bono, but whatever, who here doesn't expect that by now?)

U2 are going nowhere.

A year or 2 ago, I was really anxiously awaiting the next album and would flip out about any perceived delay.

The 2011 leg of 360 changed ALL of that immediately for me. For now, I am more than happy to savor an album and era as spectacular as Achtung Baby and will be happy whenever U2 decides to release new material and tour again.

Watching the AB opening barrage, seeing rare treats like Zooropa and Stay being staples and absolutely amazing performances of classics like Pride, One, Streets, Bad, I WIll Follow, Out of Control and 40 should be more than enough to make any of us proud of what U2 are still more than capable of doing!

Yes, HTDAAB is a better album than many people on this board think. ATYCLB is a far worse one than many people around here think too. But NLOTH is far superior to both. Also, I'm not onboard with the NLOTH middle-act hatred. Some great songs in the middle of the album!

Yes, HTDAAB is a better album than many people on this board think. ATYCLB is a far worse one than many people around here think too. But NLOTH is far superior to both. Also, I'm not onboard with the NLOTH middle-act hatred. Some great songs in the middle of the album!

While not a HUGE fan of Boots, I don't see the problem with Crazy Tonight or Stand up comedy. A few stupid lines in there, but nothing hateful at all. I don't get the hatred for those 2 songs, or NLOTH in general.

While not a HUGE fan of Boots, I don't see the problem with Crazy Tonight or Stand up comedy. A few stupid lines in there, but nothing hateful at all. I don't get the hatred for those 2 songs, or NLOTH in general.

I agree.

I think the music and melody of Crazy Tonight more than makes up for the one or two dumb lines in it. And Stand Up Comedy is just a rocker. It doesn't have the best lyrics, but it's a fun song. (Elevation, anyone?)

i do feel sorry for the lads - they taking quite a bashing with all the negative press right now...

although that Irish Independent guy is right about Boots - it amazes me how the lads are still so adamant about defending it, even though it is widely perceived as an appalling song...

I agree.

I think the music and melody of Crazy Tonight more than makes up for the one or two dumb lines in it. And Stand Up Comedy is just a rocker. It doesn't have the best lyrics, but it's a fun song. (Elevation, anyone?)

SUC isn't even a good rocker though - it's like a poor impersonation of a Chili's song, only they do that kind of thing sooooooooo much better! and they're funny too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom