All "Is U2 Breaking Up" Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It does give me some hope when Bono suggests that they might need an AB-style reinvention: "Ironically, being forced to look back at this period reminds me of how we might re-emerge for the next phase"

I just hope it means he can finally stop talking so much about getting tunes on the radio - and just seize on something exciting and go with it (which is sort of what they tried to do with NLOTH, but then half wimped out)

Bono's going to make U2 fans run to Coldplay in despair if he keeps talking like this.

Mercy....no......but you have a point.

I'm hoping all of this defeatist ideas make them work harder to make something so awesome. It worked for AB :)

They had the chance to reinvent themselves with NLOTH and didn't take it. I remember the people involved talking about how it was going to be an Achtung Baby-style overhaul. Pfui. It's like they couldn't justify shaking up their sound until their latest endeavour was ever-so-slightly poorly received.

I don't think anyone could say with a straight face that HTDABB is the better album, or even a better collection of songs (as Bono is prone to labeling it). The most anyone could say on its account was 'congratulations on a nice new record', but it sold tons and Vertigo was big. I guess that's all the verification Bono needs.

That stuff about NLOTH being the last is just Bono being a drama queen, as are his statements about relevance and not being on the radio.
Lol, he's actually reminding me of Elton John (yeah, I follow Elton John)... Everytime EJ releases a new album and it does poorly, he throws a fit about the lack of hits and threatens to call it a day.

Anywho, I guess it's hard for these acts who have been on top to feel like they're not connecting like they once did.

On one hand I do want them to take their time until the album is done and done well.

However, if they're worried about "relevancy", then waiting until 2013 or later to release an album won't really help their case. The last time U2 was "relevant" in the sense Bono longs for was 2005, which carried over into 2006 I suppose. That's a long time ago! And if they aren't going to release an album in 2 years, that's even longer!

As usual, Bono is just saying something provocative in order to get more press coverage -- a smart move to promote the AB reissue. I don't think the idea of the band quitting would even have crossed his mind if R.E.M. hadn't broke up.

But I feel certain that this is not the end of U2 -- at least, not yet. The band members are still excited about making new music together. That was not the case with R.E.M., who were tired of the grind, tired of each other.

If it were their last, I'm still pretty confident the body of work they have would keep me happy for the rest of my days. Sprinkle in a few reissues/box sets along the way!

please dont ever end u2

id just as soon the entire planet combust into one giant fireball and we all float in outer space like the junk of the night before u2 calls it quits

dont quit us u2 :angry:

Kind of sounds like Bono trying to create a narrative so that the next album really has something to prove.

Drumming up some conflict - the next album will be the one that brings U2 back from the brink or something like that.

Kind of sounds like Bono trying to create a narrative so that the next album really has something to prove.

Drumming up some conflict - the next album will be the one that brings U2 back from the brink or something like that.

Likely, I like how someone put it earlier in the thread: since Rattle & Hum, the most drastic changes in sound/mood have followed an album that the band was unhappy with the reception for. Though each subsequent album following AB and ATYCLB have been different, there wasn't the clear break that followed each 'crisis'. Though it was evident early on that NLOTH was intended to be a drastic departure, it was reined in and had some tracks similar to their last album thrown in because that hadn't been received poorly enough to justify the risk of shaking things up so much.

It isn't the brave U2 we once knew, but I can see that their perfectionism really paints them into a corner nowadays and they worry that they have to please the fans they've picked up with each era. Otherwise we could have had the Fez version of NLOTH, SOA and maybe even the Danger Mouse album during the course of the 360 era (though I think the impetus of the latter came from the need for more rock oriented music they faced following the live reception to the new songs and the radio reception of the single.

On the upside, and especially with all the AB recollecting, they clearly know they can't progress by small steps and be safe simultaneously anymore. It may not yet be where I'd like to see them: recognizing that they've got a huge core audience that will follow them no matter what and their live shows gross enough (/have already grossed enough) to allow them to release what comes to them since from early stuff, outtakes and behind the scenes videos we've seen, the creative vitality of the band is far from dead; but at least we should see a clean break from any safe Bomb stylings creeping in on whatever their next phase is.

If it were their last, I'm still pretty confident the body of work they have would keep me happy for the rest of my days. Sprinkle in a few reissues/box sets along the way!

I don't feel this way at all, because I love getting new music from U2. It's just so exciting! I dread the horrible day when all we'll have is a back catalog and nothing new to look forward to. :sigh: If the world ends before that happens, that would be great.

I don't feel this way at all, because I love getting new music from U2. It's just so exciting! I dread the horrible day when all we'll have is a back catalog and nothing new to look forward to. :sigh: If the world ends before that happens, that would be great.

I can't say that I want U2 to go away. But they have released an absolutely incredible catalog of music, and I will always look forward to listening to it. They are, to me, the greatest band ever.

I agree with you so much Rachel D. :lol:

Though NLOTH had some good songs, I for one wouldn't want to end with such a dud. We need new U2 music!
Get down to the studio and get moving, boys!
:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

If NLOTH did turn out to be their last, I'd be cool with that. It's nowhere near their best or even in their top tier of albums, but it does contain some incredible individual tracks like MOS and Cedars. So they'd be going out on a relative high. If HUTDAB had been their last, that would have been a damn shame. What a dismal way to go out.
Truth be told they are TWELVE albums deep now, everything they really wanted to say, they've said. It seems that Bono is artificially trying to manufacture a crisis to launch another spurt of creative development, but it doesn't happen like that. They've already given us some of the greatest albums and tours of all time. Yes, it would be weird if there were no U2, but we'd all be able to say "thanks for the memories guys, it's been a great ride". I wouldn't be devastated if it ended tomorrow.

he could be saying it to prepare the U2 fans in case they all do decide to call it a day in the near future, rather than a shock announcement.

Of course it all depends, given time anything can happen, but perhaps these guys do feel like they've given us their best, and feel they cannot go beyond the last album and their latest massive tour, esp the fact they have families they prob wanna settle down and devote time to.

I highly doubt they'd just quit making music just like that. They're way too used to this way of life right now, if they just stopped, they'd go insane. Bono especially, he said it himself countless times, he needs that high he gets when he goes onstage and thousands of people scream for him. He can't just quit that cold turkey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom