All "Is U2 Breaking Up" Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of artists have made Christmas albums. And some good ones even released an original. Mariah Carey released "All I Want for Christmas Is You" - which became a huge hit. It's rare that a new Christmas song enters the mix with the classics.

So time for U2 to release a new Christmas classic: "My Stealing Soul Was Kneeling as Santa Kissed the Sky".

#1 - lots of hits.

I do believe it's time for another of The Panther's in-demand tracklistings!:

White (as Snow) Christmas
The Little Glorified-Messenger Drummer Boy
Adam the (formerly) Red-Nosed Bass player
Edge is Beginning to Look a Lot Like Father Christmas

Well, that's enough for an E.P.... couldn't think of a Bono song, though...

my thoughts on all of this, based on a few strange quotes from Bono, who is clearly just trying to get the pr machine hyped up:

jump+to+conclusions+mat.jpg

Are some of us actually suggesting a breakup? Is this R.E.M.-envy? Are we reacting to hints they've dropped?
It's R.E.M. envy. Recent discussions over that band's demise has far exceeded the excitement over another U2 album by 2024, and the U2 fanbase cannot stand that!

Popacrobat = WINNER!

I think a Christmas album would be a good idea, but only if they did the more epic and classic Christmas songs and not those stupid Rudolph, Frosty the Snowman, or Christmas Donkey songs.

But will Michael Stipe release a Christmas album? The chance to don a Santa hat will hide his baldness in the sleeve photo.

my thoughts on all of this, based on a few strange quotes from Bono, who is clearly just trying to get the pr machine hyped up:

jump+to+conclusions+mat.jpg

The first thing I noticed in that was the misspelling of 'lose', thanks, I feel like engaging in a brawl with a brick wall now. :angry:

U2 split up in 1997.

They reformed in 2000 as 'Coldplay wannabes'.

Kidding, kidding.

If U2 really needs a big, huge single for their next record in order to stay relevant, you know what that means......it may be time to finally break out 'Pete The Chop.'

Niceman said:
That just means that they're fans. Generally of the band's early material. How many of those kids wear Stones shirts because of the band's recent work?

I think relevance has to be connected to recent work.

Of the 90,000 people at 360 shows, how many are there because of Get On Your Boots?

If one has a lot of fans across multiple generations, how does that not make you relevant?

Of the 90,000 people at 360 shows, how many are there because of Get On Your Boots?

If one has a lot of fans across multiple generations, how does that not make you relevant?

Relevancy is a difficult concept to define, but I don't think cross generational appeal can be used as a measure of it. That has more to do with longevity or the popularity of a segment of the artists material.

Broadly, I think relevancy has to do with the impact an artist has on the culture with their current work, or even just the acceptance of the art by the culture. It has to be acknowledged by a culture, either a subculture (ie. the metal community or indie rock community) or the broader culture, as U2 were in 87 or 92 or 01.

It is almost impossible for an old artist (and U2 is an old band. Not old men, though) to have the relevancy U2 want. They should look to Tom Waits, Nick Cave, PJ Harvey, Leornard Cohen...wait, these are all solo artists.

If they want to be relevant they should follow their inclination to make slow, dark art rock. If they can get away from chasing pop hits and focus on art, they'll be relevant. Respect is maybe the key to relevancy. People don't respect U2 for their current work; their rep is pretty bad now because they seem hit hungry and it makes them seem like sad old men.

People don't respect U2 for their current work; their rep is pretty bad now because they seem hit hungry and it makes them seem like sad old men.

sorry but i don't think that's true at all... i think this is just blinkered overly focused fan-speak... i don't think music lovers in general disrespect the band's recent work; some might like it, some might not, but saying people "don't respect U2" is a bit extreme isn't it? who are these people you're talking about?

nothing the band has put out so far has eclipsed their, let's face it, incredible and undeniable legacy

If they want to be relevant they should follow their inclination to make slow, dark art rock.
Since when is this U2's inclination?

What does "dark art rock" even mean?

People don't respect U2 for their current work; their rep is pretty bad now because they seem hit hungry and it makes them seem like sad old men.

I think this speaks more about you rather than anyone else.

Since when is this U2's inclination?

What does "dark art rock" even mean?

I think this speaks more about you rather than anyone else.

Much of their last record is slow and dark, most of UF, Joshua Tree, Achtung, Zooropa, and Pop are all quite slow, dark and arty, as is Passengers. In fact, they banned those songs kind of songs from being on All That and Bomb. They are arty in the sense that they aren't simple pop songs that aim to please. There is lyrical depth and musical originality. It's not pop music; it's not Lady Ga Ga or Bon Jovi. U2 are an art rock band at their core. Insufferably so at times.

I actually have quite a bit of respect for most of their last record. I don't like a few songs, and I don't like the compromised nature of it, but it has some really good songs and some great lyrics. A case can't be made for it having cultural relevance, though.

sorry but i don't think that's true at all... i think this is just blinkered overly focused fan-speak... i don't think music lovers in general disrespect the band's recent work; some might like it, some might not, but saying people "don't respect U2" is a bit extreme isn't it? who are these people you're talking about?

nothing the band has put out so far has eclipsed their, let's face it, incredible and undeniable legacy

What I mean is that people don't respect them for their last ten years. Their legacy of undeniable brilliance is based on their work in the 80s and 90s. Their rep is not very good right now, though, and Bono seems to be aware of this. It's nice to seem him express awareness of their position in the music world.

Much of their last record is slow and dark, most of UF, Joshua Tree, Achtung, Zooropa, and Pop are all quite slow, dark and arty, as is Passengers. In fact, they banned those songs kind of songs from being on All That and Bomb. They are arty in the sense that they aren't simple pop songs that aim to please. There is lyrical depth and musical originality. It's not pop music; it's not Lady Ga Ga or Bon Jovi. U2 are an art rock band at their core. Insufferably so at times.

I actually have quite a bit of respect for most of their last record. I don't like a few songs, and I don't like the compromised nature of it, but it has some really good songs and some great lyrics. A case can't be made for it having cultural relevance, though.

I would never label U2 as "art rock" at their core, yes they've dove into it a little here and there, but I don't look at their catalog and think "art rock".

I also wouldn't ever call them "slow and dark". All their albums have some slow songs, and every album has some meloncoly to it, but once again "slow and dark" isn't how I would label any of their albums. Maybe you have different versions than me :shrug:

This sort of thing bothers me. People think something can only be good if it's "dark" and/or "electronic". There is nothing wrong with an uplifting song in the least, and that doesn't make it any less "art rock".

This sort of thing bothers me. People think something can only be good if it's "dark" and/or "electronic". There is nothing wrong with an uplifting song in the least, and that doesn't make it any less "art rock".

Maybe you're referring to a post by someone else because nowhere did I make a value judgement based on darkness of uplift.

I would never label U2 as "art rock" at their core, yes they've dove into it a little here and there, but I don't look at their catalog and think "art rock".

I also wouldn't ever call them "slow and dark". All their albums have some slow songs, and every album has some meloncoly to it, but once again "slow and dark" isn't how I would label any of their albums. Maybe you have different versions than me :shrug:

Their records are quite varied, but they have more slow/midtempo, dark songs than any other kind. If Achtung Baby isn't slow and dark then I don't know what it is. Zooropa is mostly slow to mid tempo. Same with Joshua Tree, and it is quite a dark record. Pop is half slow, and even the mid tempo/faster songs are dark, at least lyrically. Unfortettable Fire is quite varied, but half the songs are so slow and drifting they barely move. Same with Passengers, and that record is dark. Not black, but blue.

None of their records are black, but I find that they tend towards darker shades overall, ATYCLB and Bomb aside. Hell, even those records are predominantly mid-tempo half ballad things. Thing is, they are pop records with no adventuring, no experimentation, no risks. They are very conservative and traditional, and they have led U2 to the point that Bono sees they have arrived at.

U2 have always made pop records, but they have been adventurous pop records that strive for something more than to provide simple pleasure, and that's what makes them "art rock" to me. A sense of adventure and depth of intention, and the last one had a bit of that, and all of their 80s and 90s records did, and they were never really irrelevant.

I get it if you think they're not an art rock band, but they are - or were - a very adventurous rock band, and when their music takes a conservative turn they lose that special thing, and they become just another band. They lose a bit of their relevance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom