"Ajibar" - Words and Music by Bono, Ethiopia 1985

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have never heard of that, like, at all, do you have more info on it?

"A walk down memory lane. Finally scanned some old slides from 1985. Pics I took from when I was guide/host for Bono and his wife ("Paul & Ali") for their first few days on an under-the-radar visit to Ethiopia at the height of that first famine crisis that fully captured the world's attention. We visited a few remote camps, like Ibnat, a tent city of about 60k famine victims, "where the streets have no name...". Still have some original diary notes about a breakfast one morning where he talked about all the songs running through his head (pre-Joshua Tree). We found him a guitar to use. They were also thrown into the fire of helping care for/teach a group of orphans in Ajibar where these pics were taken. Bono also wrote the song "Ajibar" (on this video) that he (and the camp staff) are singing with the orphans. They also wrote some wonderful health care songs to teach the kids (will maybe post those sometime too...). Unknown at the time was that the head of the camp (Dr.Hector Jalipa) wasn't going to be there for their initial time there, so they were literally immersed with the Ethiopian staff. I'm sure this raw introduction into famine camp life (28 years ago) helped ingrain the Africa story on Bono's life."

Words by Gary Roebbelen, former employee from World Vision, company that received Bono and Ali in Ethiopia, late 1985.

Back
Top Bottom