'Ahk-toong Bay-bi' Covered: Q magazine CD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leamspaceman

The Fly
I thought it'd be a good idea to start a specific thread for this CD. It's an important enough release to warrant a thread of it's own.

I'm halfway through listening to it as we speak. Depeche Mode version of 'So Cruel' is quite amazing, as is the Garbage version of WGRYWH.

And...well...The Killers version of UV...indescribable really.

Glasvegas have pulled off a very good version of 'Acrobat'...similar to the original structurally but far more 'hard-edged' and spiteful.

The Killers take gold though...they have created a sublime and beautiful track that compliments the original beautifully.

My top 5:

1 - Love Is Blindness - Jack White
2 - Ultraviolet - The Killers
3 - Zoo Station - Nine Inch Nails
4 - Acrobat - Glasvegas
5 - Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World - The Fray

i love the killers take on UV.
the intro is very "Sam's Town". i'm glad they did that - it makes it their own.

also, kudos to Glasvegas for their take on Acrobat - true to themselves and the song, and i'm not really a fan of Glasvegas.

but i'm giving the gold to Mr. White - his VOICE on LIB is outta this world.

Now i know exactly what Dylan meant when he said everyone will remember their songs just no one will be able to play them. U2 covers make me cringe no matter who does it.

It's weird... they didn't change the music like at all.

This exercise, if nothing else, has just reminded me how good Achtung really is. Kept finding myself going "well this is okay, but it's nothing on U2's version"

Ultraviolet is my favorite by a big margin - and that's saying a lot, because the other tracks are solid too. But Brandon Flowers' vocal is epic, and he uncovers new melodies in the song... especially in the "I heard opera in my head" verse. That's why I loved the U2360 version of this song: Bono kept finding new ways to sing it (for example, see the Raleigh version)...

:drool:

Posted my thoughts in another thread, but I guess this is the more appropriate thread, so will paste here:

Ok so here's my order, and with comments on each:

1 - Wild Horses - Heard this once before when it leaked, and I wasn't OVERLY fond, but now I have changed my mind... this cover is brilliant. I adore the chorus. I love how the verses lead into the chorus, the whole thing blows up (in a good way). Great song, great cover.

2 - TTYAATW - LOVED this, and it almost came first. I had low expectations as not a fray fan, or much of a fan of the original song really, but this version was just great. Loved every moment of it.

3 - The Fly - Was pleasantly suprised by this, a good take.

4 - EBTTRT - A very good remix. However, what is this even doing on here? I thought this was supposed to be a covers album...

5 - Love Is Blindness - A good cover. Vocals a bit over the top in places, but mostly good.

6 - Ultraviolet - Slightly dissapointed. The intro was very weak. The whole thing improved as it went along, and by the end of it, it was ok I suppose.

7 - So Cruel - Boring for the most part, with a few decent bits.

8 - Zoo Station - See above.

9 - UTEOTW - I respect that this version was very different to the original, and that's why it's not at the bottom. However, it just wasn't my cup of tea, found it so dull.

10 - Acrobat - I was so tempted to put this at the bottom. This is the cover I am most insulted by. Basically, I think the vocals were terrible. And the vocals were that terrible that, for me, it destroyed the whole thing. The music was terrific, and I thought we were in for a winner.... until he started singing. What is that godawful effect on the voice? Because whatever it is, it doesn't work, and it sounds like shit. If this had proper vocals on it, then it could have been my number 1.... what a great shame. Could have been brilliant, but the retarded vocals ruined the whole thing.

11 - One - Boring as hell and self-indulgent with the changed lyrics.

12 - Mysterious Ways - Boring as hell, with no redeeming features whatsoever.

Overall, good album. Few stinkers, but also some winners...

Acrobat is by far my favorite. There's an anguish there missing from the original. The way he takes the "What are we going to do now?" line and repeats it in the background, hauntingly, through the last 90 seconds is pretty awesome. Also, the drums are blistering. They really knocked it out of the park, I feel. I think they stayed truest to the original of any of the covering artists, yet still made it their own. It's fitting that the least-known song on the album was covered by (probably) the least-known band, but that's not meant to be an insult to either one of them.

The Ultraviolet take is alright, but Brandon Flowers just doesn't have the voice to do justice to such a soaring song.

The song I'm most surprised by is Trent's version of Zoo Station. When I saw he was doing it, I was like, "OK, that makes sense. If there's any song with a hint of industrial on the album, it's ZS... But then Trent did a complete 180 from what everyone was probably expecting and made a very muted, soft-around-the-edges, dare I say pretty song out of it.

Overall, a fun disc to listen to, to hear all these other great artists' interpretations of a classic.

Can someone of You scan front and back cover of this CD, please?

- thank You in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too many of the songs are too SLOW. NIN, DM, WGRYWH (all decent mind you) could all be better if they were a little faster.

LIB wins by a mile.

I was actually pretty happy with most of the covers.

LIB was the best. Jack White's vocal took all the angst of Edge's guitar. It was great.

Other highlights for me were
Gavin Friday's The Fly Surprising, though missed the guitar.
Garbage's WGTRYWH Shirley Manson's vocals were gorgeous
NIN's Zoo Station.
The Killers UV Started of poorly but the end was great.

I also quite liked Depeche's So Cruel and Patti Smith's UTEOTW.

Non Highlights -
Glasvegas' Acrobat. While I greatly enjoyed the guitar in this, the vocal was just horrid. I'd like an instrumental version.
Damian Rice's One. Hated the vocal change.
The Fray's TTTYAATW, already my least favorite song on the album and they made it worse. They must have some machine that just Fray-izes every song like a Muzak machine.
Snow Patrol's MW. Took all the funk out of the song and left with a dreary ballad. They should have covered TTTYAATW.

Just listened to the entire. Highly enjoyable.

Overseas readers can apparently order the CD at Qthemusic.com according to the magazine.

You have the wrong version then my friend.

Are you kidding? The last 90 seconds, the way he gently twists the lyric before the guitar solo into that haunting "what are we going to do now?" repeated over and over and over in the background, sub-dividing the 12/8 measures....

Acrobat is my favorite U2 song by a long shot and has been for about 19 years and 11 months. Glasvegas' take has a grittiness that is turning people off, and I get that. But I think that grittiness does the song great justice. It's like u2's version is sung by a guy feeling down, but Glasvegas' version is sung by a who has hit bottom in every way. He is hurting. Absolutely brilliant.

"I love this! Better than the original." -every fan of a band that covers another band's song

"I hate this! Original is so much better." -every fan of a band whose song has been covered

Does someone know how I can get a copy?

I went with full excitement to my local magazine store....and what appeared to be the case? There is no CD added to Q magazione here in Netherlands? Is this UK only?

I am desperate to find this album!! Who can help me?

Thanx!

phommel said:

I went with full excitement to my local magazine store....and what appeared to be the case? There is no CD added to Q magazione here in Netherlands? Is this UK only?

Thanx!

Check qthemusic.com

Thanx!

I went to a magazine store here in Belgium (it was an international store, not a normal) and they had the magazine with the cd, so you probably CAN get it in the Netherlands too, but don't ask me where.
You could probably order it from their website, though I'd make sure they include the cd with it, I heard some things that the oversea shipping of Q would be without the cd, but maybe that where just rumours :)

Back
Top Bottom