Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part IV/Four

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be. Since his "source" never actually had any valuable information that turned out to be legit...

yeah, i think he did get something right about the Rose Bowl DVD back in the day, can't remember for sure. but he had a couple of inside scoops regarding the new album that didn't happen.....though he could have easily been passing what he had heard.

it's not like he's having beers with The Edge though. probably just knows a rep or intern or something.

Can we judge from the current content lists if we will miss out on the three "Interferences" from the old Achtung Baby VHS (directed by Maurice Linnane)?

EDIT: The "ZOO TV SPECIAL – a documentary" is probably the known Outside Broadcast ("Zoo York, Zoo York" or "Philips DCC Presents Zoo Tv Featuring U2") special that was broadcast on several TV stations all over the world. That would be the first time that that would be released officially, right?

BTW; I have found the Outside Broadcast tracklist somewhere. I just don't know for sure that this is the feature on DVD 3

01. Zoo TV Introduction
02. George Bush Rap (Intro)
03. Zoo Station
04. The Fly
05. Even Better Than The Real Thing
06. Mysterious Ways
07. Night Vision
08. Zoo Non-Products / Interference
09. Until The End Of The World
10. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World
11. When Love Comes To Town
12. Interviews
13. Satellite Of Love
14. The Edge Video Game
15. Bullet The Blue Sky
16. Running To Stand Still
17. "Thanksgiving Day" Poem
18. Where The Streets Have No Name
19. Interference
20. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
21. Desire
22. Phone Call

About 75 mins.

2, 3, 4, 9, 11, 13, 15, 18, 21: 29. August 1992. New York, Yankee Stadium
5, 10, 16: 14. October 1992. Houston, Astrodome
22: 14. November 1992. Anaheim, Anaheim Stadium.

amano said:
Can we judge from the current content lists if we will miss out on the three "Interferences" from the old Achtung Baby VHS (directed by Maurice Linnane)?

Thats an easter egg on the Sydney DVD, I think its on the second disk though? If so, I'm pretty sure it wont be included since they appear to be only including the disk with the actual show...

Amazon.com has removed "Original Recording Remastered" from ALL editions as well.

Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.ca still say remaster on some, but not all, editions.

The track lists, which were just added recently, say "REMASTERED" for every track on Achtung Baby.

Amazon.com: Achtung Baby (Super Deluxe Edition): U2: Music

I certainly don't think this outweighs the removal of the word "remastered" from U2.com. I'm just saying that amazon probably got those track lists from somewhere inside Universal. For whatever it's worth. Which is absolutely zero at this point.

I don't know what to think anymore and I don't really care. Basically right now there is no way of knowing until release day. I can't believe that they can't get their shit together and CONFIRM whether or not this is remastered.

Someone from U2's marketing dept really needs to get fired for this debacle. One simple official line on U2.com could have cleared this up ages ago. Now we're waiting for someone to read the liner notes to know for sure...beyond a joke, really.

What bothers me is that no journalist with connections has noticed this and followed up on it. Surely an interested party from Rolling Stone, for example, would have no trouble getting in touch with Interscope or Principle.

Well, to be fair to RS, it's pretty dark way up there inside U2's collective ass, so it's hard to be aware of every detail around them. :)

I dunno, I still get the impression that U2 could put out an album of Bono's armpit farts, and RS would be all over it like white on rice.

Not that I'm complaining about it, mind you.

Well, if by "great", you mean not their worst, I agree. :)

Well I don't think it's their best but I also don't think it's as bad as most people on here slag it off for. I really love the album a lot and I don't get a lot of the hate on it. I guess that has a lot to do with the fact that it's the first U2 album I owned and got me to become a fan. Also a remaster of Bomb would be interesting.

I enjoy every song on the album to a certain degree, and many of them a lot.

But it is a bit all over the place, and sounds more like a career retrospective than anything else. And Bono is right when he says the sum of the parts was greater than the whole.

What it has over its predecessor is energy. The songwriting, lyrical and musical, pretty much cancels out between the two albums. While Vertigo may not be a better composition than Beautiful Day, I liked it better as a statement of purpose than the "Hey, remember us and how pleasant we used to sound?" of BD.

And it's sad that the two songs left off the album, Mercy and Fast Cars (which I don't count since it's only a bonus track) are better than everything else that made it, with only COBL coming close.

However, I return to a comparison I made not too long ago: look at what the Stones were releasing 25 years after they started: Steel Wheels. The Bomb is a hell of a lot better and more relevant than that shit, so it could be worse.

I enjoy every song on the album to a certain degree, and many of them a lot.

But it is a bit all over the place, and sounds more like a career retrospective than anything else. And Bono is right when he says the sum of the parts was greater than the whole.

What it has over its predecessor is energy. The songwriting, lyrical and musical, pretty much cancels out between the two albums. While Vertigo may not be a better composition than Beautiful Day, I liked it better as a statement of purpose than the "Hey, remember us and how pleasant we used to sound?" of BD.

And it's sad that the two songs left off the album, Mercy and Fast Cars (which I don't count since it's only a bonus track) are better than everything else that made it, with only COBL coming close.

However, I return to a comparison I made not too long ago: look at what the Stones were releasing 25 years after they started: Steel Wheels. The Bomb is a hell of a lot better and more relevant than that shit, so it could be worse.

Listening to Bomb all the way through is a CHORE. But you're right, the individual songs are pretty decent. If I have U2 on shuffle and a random HTDAAB song comes on, I like it quite a bit.

I also agree that some of the best material didn't make the final album. Fast Cars is great, and Native Son is miles ahead of Vertigo.

Not every single U2 album can be AMAZING. I don't understand why people don't like bomb to me it's a great album some on their greatest or most known songs are on there. I take that back I really truly feel like its one of their best. :D I guess everyone is different but I feel that when I like a band every time I put on one of their albums I should think its amazing....but that's just me not everyone feels the same way.

Not every single U2 album can be AMAZING. I don't understand why people don't like bomb to me it's a great album some on their greatest or most known songs are on there. I take that back I really truly feel like its one of their best. :D I guess everyone is different but I feel that when I like a band every time I put on one of their albums I should think its amazing....but that's just me not everyone feels the same way.

The only album from U2 that I don't think is GREAT is Rattle & Hum, and that's mainly due to the bunch of filler material making it semi-live and 17 songs long. Other than that, I'd call all of their albums GREAT.

It just so happens that some of their albums aren't as great as compared to others. To your average U2 fan, that translates to 'bad'. Yeah, Bomb is no Achtung Baby, we get it.

LuckyNumber7 said:
The only album from U2 that I don't think is GREAT is Rattle & Hum, and that's mainly due to the bunch of filler material making it semi-live and 17 songs long. Other than that, I'd call all of their albums GREAT.

It just so happens that some of their albums aren't as great as compared to others. To your average U2 fan, that translates to 'bad'. Yeah, Bomb is no Achtung Baby, we get it.

I agree!

I think Bomb is still young but the era was pretty 'golden.' Look at the amount of Grammys that they won. I don't think anyone can deny that it was something to pass over. And they probably gained a whole new generation of fans during that period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom