Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part IV/Four

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
See, and I couldn't care less about music dvds like that. I never, ever watch them.

last unicorn;7379249 And that's what I'm talking about. That's a personal insult said:
No, saying it is "beyond the pale" means it's almost unbelievable. If I said, "Anyone who doesn't like it is stupid." that would be an insult, I simply said that it was almost unbelievable to me that anyone would hold that opinion.

If someone told me that "Red Light" was the best U2 song, I would have to question whether they were making fun of me. I'm sure in this big wild world there are a few people who hold the opinion. but I find it as strange as the idea of a U2 fan who doesn't appreciate Acrobat. You're entitled to your opinion, even if I find it strange. :wave:

So, you are calling people that do not think it is the greatest or simply do not care for it beyond the pale? So you are basically saying, if they do not share "your" and several others musical taste or opinion, they are beyond the pale? It "may" not be a form of internet bullying, but it is sort of ridiculous also. You pick which of those two your statement fits in. :shrug:

I'm wondering if there are a number of people on this board who simply don't understand what "beyond the pale" means? It means unbelievable, strange, it was originally a reference to Hadrian's Wall - north of which all of the mythical monsters lived. I's not a suggestion that you're a doody head, just that you're opinion is almost unbelievable, exotic, and strange to me.

If you said that you didn't like "Where the Streets Have No Name" I would react in the same way. Until this thread I had never heard a negative opinion about the song from anyone ever anywhere at anytime.

not_this_shit_again_RE_Count_to_100_Revised-s480x552-220275.jpg

Niceman said:
I'm wondering if there are a number of people on this board who simply don't understand what "beyond the pale" means? It means unbelievable, strange, it was originally a reference to Hadrian's Wall - north of which all of the mythical monsters lived. I's not a suggestion that you're a doody head, just that you're opinion is almost unbelievable, exotic, and strange to me.

If you said that you didn't like "Where the Streets Have No Name" I would react in the same way. Until this thread I had never heard a negative opinion about the song from anyone ever anywhere at anytime.

Nah, beyond the pale has more of a negative connotation than simply 'unbelievable'

Well, its what I've meant and how I'm familiar with the use of the word.

That's cool, I'm just not sure most know that meaning of the term at all, that's a fairly obscure meaning to be honest. Most (big AFAIK here) would think of it being more along the lines of something shocking, repulsive, offensive, unacceptable, outside the limits, indecent, outside the norms of morality, good judgement behavior etc etc. In Irish culture "the pale" referred to a line of demarcation of an area under English control - if you were 'beyond the pale' you'd clearly gone too far out of bounds.

Diffrent strokes, and all that..

Noone yet on on this board (or anywhere else I can quickly read) thinks it means "unbelievable" or "beyond what I can personally understand" (paraphrasing mine).

Even his interpretation with the Hadrian's Wall reference doesn't mean "unbelievable" - by most accounts the wall was constructed to divide the country and keep out other peoples/tribes, not mythical magical monsters. People on the other side of the wall, beyond the pale, etc, were undesirables, lesser, savages, unacceptable, not decent folk, which is clearly why "beyond the pale" eventually came to be further exaggerated into meanings along the lines of outside the bounds of common decency and morality. I didn't make up the interpretations I printed, they are all easily found and discussed as other posters have pointed out.

Just to add my 2c - as I understand it if 'Beyond the pale' is used in a personal context like "Dude, you're really beyond the pale, you know that?" - that is usually taken to be an insult. If it is used in any other context that is not directed at another person, like "Whoa, that film was really beyond the pale" - that's taken to mean exotic/strange/unusual.

What is this discussion about? Is there an unreleased track called "beyond the pale " or something?

Knowing the phrase's origins, I'm pretty sure Niceman was really saying that he hates the Irish.

:wink:

(In case my early-morning sarcasm goes undetected, it was a joke. Personally, I think it was hyperbole to use the phrase when talking about people who don't like a particular song.)

mikal said:
What is this discussion about? Is there an unreleased track called "beyond the pale " or something?

According to unconfirmed legend, Larry showed up at the October album photo shoot late with a shiner. Bono in anger ad libbed a song right then and there entitled "Beyond The Pale" about the event. It was unclear whether or not "the pale" referred to Larry's whiteness and "beyond" being how far away from white the shiner looked, or if Bono was just saying that Larry's excuses for tardiness had finally exceeded Bono's wildest imagination.

Subsequently Bono wrote the provisional title and a few lines in his notebook which was later lost. The notebook has since been found, of course, however the notes contained therein provided little in the way of reminding the band of the event until recently when an anonymous U2 fan on the internet reminded Larry of his encounter way back then and Bono was inspired to rework the song. They have begun recording it and it will be released in two formats: EP and..you guessed it: Remastered.

It remains unclear however if the general theme of the song still centers around how whiter than white Larry always looks or just how offensively full of shit the rest of the band thought Larry was back then, and even now with his newfound recollection of it all..

:lol: ps this is bs

Well, its what I've meant and how I'm familiar with the use of the word.

Fine, but I still think that if you're not sure about the connotation of a word, then don't use it. There are millions of other more neutral words you can use and "unbelievabel" would be one of them. It's just a little strange that you decided to use a word that some people take for an insult, simply because it has a negative connotation for many. I understood it that way and I didn't read it as "unbelievable". Still, "unbelievable" would mean that you have a hard time believing that some people have a different taste in music. Why is that?

I don't find anything hard to believe just because it isn't in agreement with my personal taste.

I never said I don't like Acrobat. The whole anti-Acrobat-league talk was just crap. Seriously, why should I even consider something like that which would only be a waste of time and energy? People should love what they love, all I'm saying is that I feel there's a kind of rule on this board to worship this song (and yes, I don't think "worship" is too strong a word) and if you don't follow that rule. you're part of a minority that isn't treated exactly with much respect here.

I'm surprised this discussion is still going on. I thought by now everyone has re-entered the REMASTER OR NOT REMASTER territory. :wink:

I think we're all a bit tired of the whole remaster debate. As soon as we agree on something, U2.com goes along and fucks it all up again, so what's the point. :crack:

According to unconfirmed legend, Larry showed up at the October album photo shoot late with a shiner. Bono in anger ad libbed a song right then and there entitled "Beyond The Pale" about the event. It was unclear whether or not "the pale" referred to Larry's whiteness and "beyond" being how far away from white the shiner looked, or if Bono was just saying that Larry's excuses for tardiness had finally exceeded Bono's wildest imagination.

Subsequently Bono wrote the provisional title and a few lines in his notebook which was later lost. The notebook has since been found, of course, however the notes contained therein provided little in the way of reminding the band of the event until recently when an anonymous U2 fan on the internet reminded Larry of his encounter way back then and Bono was inspired to rework the song. They have begun recording it and it will be released in two formats: EP and..you guessed it: Remastered.

It remains unclear however if the general theme of the song still centers around how whiter than white Larry always looks or just how offensively full of shit the rest of the band thought Larry was back then, and even now with his newfound recollection of it all..

:lol: ps this is bs

Brilliant! :lmao: :applaud::up:

Noone yet on on this board (or anywhere else I can quickly read) thinks it means "unbelievable" or "beyond what I can personally understand" (paraphrasing mine).

Even his interpretation with the Hadrian's Wall reference doesn't mean "unbelievable" - by most accounts the wall was constructed to divide the country and keep out other peoples/tribes, not mythical magical monsters. People on the other side of the wall, beyond the pale, etc, were undesirables, lesser, savages, unacceptable, not decent folk, which is clearly why "beyond the pale" eventually came to be further exaggerated into meanings along the lines of outside the bounds of common decency and morality. I didn't make up the interpretations I printed, they are all easily found and discussed as other posters have pointed out.

:scratch::huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom