Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part IV/Four

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that Tryin' To Throw ... in a few of the IEMs that came out from the Turin rehearsals. It sounds like they were playing the song along with some internet performances of people playing the parts.

... I'm glad they didn't do that.

:up: Yes, "sometimes" they do make the correct rehearsal decisions. As cool as something seems on paper, in practice it was lame. Now if they had just done a normal full band of it, then it would have been the wrong choice! :lol:

I wish they'd at least acknowledge Acrobat. I wish they'd discuss it in the film and discuss why they don't play it live. I wish they'd at least attempt an acoustic version...

Granted, it's not my favorite song. I mean, I'll listen to it if I'm in the mood, but honestly....a lot of the time, I'll skip it.

That doesn't mean that if I heard it live I wouldn't shit myself though! :drool:

mirrorballman said:
I don't think U2 picked the people who covered the tunes (it was Q magazine's idea and they probably went ahead with it), though most of those selected do sound like people who are close to the band? :hmm: Wouldn't know though...

Im pretty sure U2 had quite a bit of influence, honestly, what was the last thing Gavin Friday did?

Granted, it's not my favorite song. I mean, I'll listen to it if I'm in the mood, but honestly....a lot of the time, I'll skip it.

That doesn't mean that if I heard it live I wouldn't shit myself though! :drool:

You are not alone. I do the exact same thing. Other than Edge's solo, I think it is one of the weaker tracks on the album. (ducks) :shrug: I think the early demo of it from Hansa is actually better (again, other than Edge's solo)

I wouldn't shit myself if they played it live, but would think it was cool. I do not think the song will ever be done live. If they do, it will probably be acoustic with Edge and Bono only and 80% of the people there would have no clue what they are playing nor care.

lyrics are great, musically I find it remarkably dull
apart, indeed, from the solo

Exactly how I feel.

In other words, I have really started to truly love TTTYAATW. Such a good song. The lyrics are amazing. The music is just great. Sets such a happy mood. I think it might now be one of my favorite songs off AB and one of my favorite U2 songs of all time.

Acrobat is, along with The Fly, the best 4 minutes and 30 seconds of U2 ever. Everything about that song is perfect.

Acrobat is, along with The Fly, the best 4 minutes and 30 seconds of U2 ever. Everything about that song is perfect.

agreed. that's why i love Achtung Baby so much. it literally feature my 3 favorite songs created by any band:

Acrobat
The Fly
Until The End Of The World

I love AB and Acrobat, but I honestly believe it's annoyingly ridiculous how this song is treated as if it was the second coming. If U2 had started to play it live some time ago, there wouldn't be this "don't touch it it's sacrosanct" feeling about this song. Different strokes for everyone, but I've always thought this endless gushing about that song is getting a bit out of hand. It's like one's being bullied on here for having a different opinion about that song. I cannot even imagine what kind of things will be happening here when we indeed find out that the Glasvegas cover is, in fact, shit. This forum will finally explode and none of us will be around for the Achtung Baby release at the end of this month.

It's just a song. It's ridiculous to workship it like that and call U2 names for not playing it live or talking about it. There must be a reason for that. Maybe the band isn't as much obsessed with this piece as many fans seem to be.

And yes, I'm aware I'm having an unpopular opinion here and might get some bashing, but so what. There are U2 songs I adore that others can't stand and the other way round. I think it's sad that people are trying to bully other people here for not liking a certain song and call them names and stuff. We are all fans, we're one but not the same.

I love AB and Acrobat, but I honestly believe it's annoyingly ridiculous how this song is treated as if it was the second coming. If U2 had started to play it live some time ago, there wouldn't be this "don't touch it it's sacrosanct" feeling about this song. Different strokes for everyone, but I've always thought this endless gushing about that song is getting a bit out of hand. It's like one's being bullied on here for having a different opinion about that song. I cannot even imagine what kind of things will be happening here when we indeed find out that the Glasvegas cover is, in fact, shit. This forum will finally explode and none of us will be around for the Achtung Baby release at the end of this month.

It's just a song. It's ridiculous to workship it like that and call U2 names for not playing it live or talking about it. There must be a reason for that. Maybe the band isn't as much obsessed with this piece as many fans seem to be.

that's quite the generalization. i don't love the song because it's never been played live, it's because the song is that fucking good. i'm not obsessed and i don't worship it. it's my favorite song of all time and i made that opinion well before it became a recurring theme that fans are disappointed that U2 never played it live.

that's quite the generalization. i don't love the song because it's never been played live, it's because the song is that fucking good. i'm not obsessed and i don't worship it. it's my favorite song of all time and i made that opinion well before it became a recurring theme that fans are disappointed that U2 never played it live.

sorry, do you have proof of when your fandom of the song began? source, please.

I'm not trying to generalize here, really, everyone is entitled to have their own opinion about every U2 song, but I simply feel that the Acrobat-league is very strong here and that it's kind of a rule here to love Acrobat and bemoan it's constant live absence. I would also be curious about a live version, but I honestly believe that U2 cannot play it the way it should be played and Bono couldn't sing it the way it should be sung. Also, it would be another "wow" moment for die hard fans, but an endless bore for casual concert goers, which make up about 95 % of a U2 audience.

Honestly, I have nothing against Acrobat, I never skip it and I think it's a great song, but I also think it's being overrated here and kind of mythologized, and U2's refusal to play the song live has contributed to that.

Acrobat is also one of my favourites.

I think the reason being it is probably the pinnacle of u2's darkness, in their darkest hour, it also features some pretty kool instrumentation - Edge's solo is only one facet. I love the drums in the song. The Acrobat drums were the main reason I wanted the album remastered. Some separation and clarity banging through surround speakers would be epic.

I also love the parralel with Love is Blindness, with Edge's pre-chorus riff (over the "when i first met you girl" bit) being the same notes as the organ intro for Love is Blindess.

While I know not every (or many?) of the songs were written about Edge's divorce, that riff for me is Edge's expression of his feelings. So simple, but melancholic, it gives you that spiralling sensation, like water circling the drain.

Anyway, the song is epic

If U2 had started to play it live some time ago, there wouldn't be this "don't touch it it's sacrosanct" feeling about this song.

What is this I don't even... So I think the song is amazing because it has never been played live before? :lol:

Maybe the band isn't as much obsessed with this piece as many fans seem to be.

Not that it matters really, but Bono did mention on a couple of occasions it is one of his favourite U2 songs. Along with Your Blue Room. So I guess, if anything, he has good taste as far as U2 songs are concerned.

lyrics are great, musically I find it remarkably dull
apart, indeed, from the solo

:up: Exactly, those are my feelings about it. I will be interested as to how the demo of it sounds on the kintergarten disc.

As far as the "blasphemy" about it expressed by others. Different strokes for different folks. One of my favorite songs on AB is So Cruel and I have seen people on here say it is the weakest track. There is no right or wrong answer and there is nothing blasphemus about any of it. Music is defined as something pleasing to the ear. That can be different for everyone. I do think Acrobat gets more attention than it would because it is the only track on the album to not be done live but I understand that some may love the song.

...Edge's pre-chorus riff (over the "when i first met you girl" bit) being the same notes as the organ intro for Love is Blindess.

Wow, I never noticed that!

I've always certainly felt that the last three tracks were an like an "act" in a play, as an epilogue to album, stressing that the "price of love, I know it's not cheap."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom