Achtung Baby remaster underway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
there's nothing age defeatist about it
they've done dance before
it's time to move on
and it makes sense to, if they feel like incorporating a genre, pick something they can explore for the next decade without looking desperate

I'm not assuming they're going to come out with some album that's full of "nts nts nts nts"* music.

I'm not assuming that their definition of "club music" equals what I think it is. So I don't read "club music" and do an immediate O GOD NO facepalm.

*my approximation of "club" music beats; I have no idea how else to portray it via type!

I don't have a problem with U2 + club
but it's not the first thing I'd want them to pursuit, again, for multiple reasons

Okay. Then I have to say I also don't assume that "club" + "u2" means that Bono's going to be grinding against microphone stands.

I mean, he does that anyway, no matter what they're playing. :wink:

I'm not assuming they're going to come out with some album that's full of "nts nts nts nts"* music.

*my approximation of "club" music beats; I have no idea how else to portray it via type!
"Oonts oonts oonts oonts?"

Even though they are Zooropa-era, I doubt they'd include early versions of songs that ended up on a different album with that era - more likely those versions would end up on a Pop set, even if that is not quite correct.

But there must be some great stuff relating to the creation of songs like Lemon, Zooropa, Numb - the development of those would be really interesting to hear.
Speaking of Pop, didn't City of Blinding Lights originate from those sessions? Now, THERE'S something for the bonus disc. :drool:

it's time to move on
and it makes sense to, if they feel like incorporating a genre, pick something they can explore for the next decade without looking desperate

Or maybe they just like it. :shrug:

EDIT #2: Is Edge wearing a fedora in the "Two Shots..." video? :lol:

:hmm: you make the call.

bwEdge2shotsACLondon11-95sm.jpg

I'm still hoping to hear some of the non-Salome tracks. After all, unless they have duplicates of the Salome tapes, is it possible to even get remastered versions (unless they rerecord) of those tracks?

Maybe we'll see some of the "A Clockwork Orange" tracks other than ADIHFABM/K1. I would really love a 3-disc album. I mean, theres at least 1 disc of AB remixes and 1 discs worth of officially released B-Sides from this era available. Hopefully we'll get even more stuff that we've never heard before.

:lol:

I totally had forgotten - that OOTS = oonts joke! There was a period of time where I would giggle every time I saw OOTS on the screen, because I'd start going

OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS.

I'm weird.

I'm not assuming that their definition of "club music" equals what I think it is. So I don't read "club music" and do an immediate O GOD NO facepalm.

"nts nts nts":lol:

I think that is an excellent description! :up:

it's time to move on

I don't think they've done dance before (crap commissioned remixes don't count). They haven't ever really wholly shifted genre either, only incorporated an element. And I can't see them changing that. So they've incorporated electronica before, a little bit, but that in itself is still a wide, wide open field for them. Zooropa is the only album where there is an almost wholesale change in the shape and nature of U2, on many tracks. They only built it into Pop in a way that gave it a heavy, traffic jammed feel. As a sonic booster, not a game changer. That's front to back a rock album. Neither of those are ‘dance’ or ‘club’, and there’s nothing to suggest that they’d wholesale-shift either, and almost certainly not in this era. But returning to some electronic influence and assistance doesn’t have to be a re-tread. There's a whole world out there of complimentary options for them, as yet untouched.

And I think reaching out in that direction could actually really help. Eno is Eno. Eno is brilliant, Eno is God, but Eno is Eno. Eno is old news for the band. Maybe too comfortable. I think they need more encouragement to step out a bit further, swim out to the deep end a bit more, and I think specifically Edge needs a new launching pad. Eno starts the day by firing up a synthy string sample, with a few new beeps and whirs – again – and surprise, surprise, Edge drops a all-too-familiar chimey guitar part over the top of it – again.

They need a new Eno. Someone who works in a similar way, but is coming from a different and fresh direction. Someone who wouldn’t be too dramatically different, in percentage terms, to what Eno brings or adds to a song, but quite different in what they are launching the band off. Someone creatively inspirational (not Rubin), but not a wholesale overhaul (not Dre). So someone bringing something wholly new, but wholly complimentary.

I'd love them to hit on that moody, atmospheric post-Pop feel of Stateless and Ground Beneath Her Feet, but with someone like Danger Mouse, or RjD2, or DJ Shadow swirling in the background. There's almost no way that would happen, for a bunch of reasons, but for people who would love to see U2 shake it up a bit, bring in someone wildly different (for them) as a collaborator/producer, re-engage with the details, and perhaps incorporate some electro again, or even give Bono his hip-hop-feel wish, but give it to him in a pair of safe hands (i.e. not poptastic will.i.am, or the brilliant but too overt Dr Dre), then that's a style of producer they could go to, without shaking up the core of what they do, or sound like. It would really be not too different to Eno, just fresh and different.

And there might not be longevity in that partnership, but it might be a great sparking point for them launching off into a more experimental but restricted final phase. Not wholly launch off on some overhaul-experimentation, but I think the phase or music stream they have in them, but have barely touched, is that more delicate, layered, and deep-end-of-the-pool stuff, and this is one interesting way to approach it that might lead to it becoming a new phase. Does that make sense? It might not produce hit singles, and it might not go over great in a stadium, but if they've ever got room between needing either, it could be truly fantastic.

And I do believe that a whole leap into that Stateless/Ground Beneath sound and feel would have been the 'other' choice in the post-Pop fork in the road, one that in an alternate universe, where U2 were not a gazillion album and ticket seller band, they could have easily taken, perhaps more likely taken. It would be a real shame - maybe the greatest U2 shame - if we never got a latter phase of U2 that was beyond commercial pressure, because I think now that's really the only way we'll get anything genuinely, all-over new from them. And surely, after all this time, there’s more going on then the safety and re-treads suggest. Surely there’s more interesting stuff they’re into, or trying, and it’s getting washed out along the way, or kept separate, for whatever reason. Surely Crazy Tonight is not what a band who have all of those very different, very creative albums under their belt reach as some kind of final zenith. They can ‘go back to basics’, they have every right to return to previous sounds, but surely there’s still an interest in the new. Surely what we are getting is what they think U2 albums should be, but there are musical interests and hobbies still bubbling away in there, and they just don’t let the two collide anymore? It peeps through every now and then, I’d just love for them to let it wholly out.

But this is massively drifting. They're calling it 'club' music. I can't really believe U2 are working on - let alone thinking of releasing - an, as it's been neatly described, "nst, nst, nst" album. When they say that, I can only really picture it, given it being 2010 and all, as something more like Magnificent with it's dancey beat brought more front and centre. Just fairly typical U2 songs... jumped up.

Anyway, what a rant!

Would they really listen to anyone new, though ? Even with someone as close to them as Eno/Lanois, they still have the final say. (ie dropping Winter, not having MOS as a lead single). If they can say no to Eno, they can do the same to anyone.

As was said, and no disrespect to NLOTH or all the things their two main producers did, it is time to step away from them - and Lillywhite unless he's only mixing - for at least a while. I know the history is vastly more kind to the albums produced by the trio, but I really feel they have given what they had to the band.

Who to pick ? He's not popular, and picking him may merely be a more quality version of what they wanted with Bomb, but I would like Rubin (I refuse to believe a punk band cover and a quickly-put-together single are a real glimpse of his work with the band). If he can do half of what he did for Metallica, J. Cash, Neil Diamond ... for U2, it would be worth it. Quality and critical acclaim.

I think NLOTH especially in some songs, shows the band still want to explore new teritorry (moreso when the *singles pressure eases off, and it will). I just don't think it will happen with the producers of 00's albums. Both *dance and *rock they already did. Time to try something else. Hip hop if one of the genres they didn't really try yet (not meaning babes/bling bling teritorry), but more in the vein of the mentioned Let me in the sound section of Boots. Timbaland ? Dre ? Kanye ? Jay-Z ? Several possibilities, and U2 has worked to an extent, with some hip hop names already.

*edit I would enjoy Statess/GBHF sound, but it hasn't really appeared since. I think a bigger shake-up of the sound is in order.

Zooropa is the only album where there is an almost wholesale change in the shape and nature of U2, on many tracks. They only built it into Pop in a way that gave it a heavy, traffic jammed feel. As a sonic booster, not a game changer. That's front to back a rock album. Neither of those are ‘dance’ or ‘club’, and there’s nothing to suggest that they’d wholesale-shift either, and almost certainly not in this era. But returning to some electronic influence and assistance doesn’t have to be a re-tread. There's a whole world out there of complimentary options for them, as yet untouched.

And I do believe that a whole leap into that Stateless/Ground Beneath sound and feel would have been the 'other' choice in the post-Pop fork in the road, one that in an alternate universe, where U2 were not a gazillion album and ticket seller band, they could have easily taken, perhaps more likely taken.
Anyway, what a rant!

An excellent post! :up: I fully agree that the Stateless/Ground Beneath sound represented an alternative, and when you think about it, ATYCLB wasn't too far away (frustratingly). If you bring in Stateless, Ground Beneath and Levitate for Wild Honey, Walk On (a horrible song in my view) and Peace on Earth you arguably have a viable post-Pop album. What we got wasn't too bad but it encouraged them to think that only a stripped-down sound could work, leading to HTDAAB (an artistic disaster in my view).

I don't think Stateless/Ground Beneath mix well with ATYCLB at all. It's a breezy summer pop album, those two songs carry too much weight. On ATYCLB, even Peace on Earth - heavier subject matter - feels like it's coming from a softer focus, lighter time of day. Stuck In A Moment, with it's poppy soul. Kite with its outdoors imagery and breezy evening reflection feel, definitely. Walk On with it's get up, get yourself together-ness. None of these songs carry the weight of a sort of night-time storm of heavy thoughts or feelings or whatever. New York is the only song that feels like it's coming from the night time, but mostly just anticipating it, not in the middle of it.

But both Stateless and Ground Beneath feel like in the dark of the night songs. Just... heavier. Does that makes sense? Despite most of it not really being up my alley, and thinking a lot of it is pretty weak, I still give ATYCLB plenty of credit because I think its pitched perfectly, hits it pitch consistently. Plenty of people don't like U2-does-pop, or the weakness of the second half, or the sheer stupidity of a couple of tracks, or the reversion to classic sounds, or a mix of all of the above, but I've always given it a pass because despite all of that, it absolutely hits a pitch and feel and holds it. And it's not a bad place. IMO, it trumps HTDAAB tenfold simply because it does have a soul to it. Adding those two tracks would absolutely 'up' the quality level, but it breaks that mood and feel.

I don't think Stateless/Ground Beneath mix well with ATYCLB at all. It's a breezy summer pop album, those two songs carry too much weight. On ATYCLB, even Peace on Earth - heavier subject matter - feels like it's coming from a softer focus, lighter time of day. Stuck In A Moment, with it's poppy soul. Kite with its outdoors imagery and breezy evening reflection feel, definitely. Walk On with it's get up, get yourself together-ness. None of these songs carry the weight of a sort of night-time storm of heavy thoughts or feelings or whatever. New York is the only song that feels like it's coming from the night time, but mostly just anticipating it, not in the middle of it.

But both Stateless and Ground Beneath feel like in the dark of the night songs. Just... heavier. Does that makes sense? Despite most of it not really being up my alley, and thinking a lot of it is pretty weak, I still give ATYCLB plenty of credit because I think its pitched perfectly, hits it pitch consistently. Plenty of people don't like U2-does-pop, or the weakness of the second half, or the sheer stupidity of a couple of tracks, or the reversion to classic sounds, or a mix of all of the above, but I've always given it a pass because despite all of that, it absolutely hits a pitch and feel and holds it. And it's not a bad place. IMO, it trumps HTDAAB tenfold simply because it does have a soul to it. Adding those two tracks would absolutely 'up' the quality level, but it breaks that mood and feel.

You do have a point, yes, which is why I suggested removing Walk On, Peace On Earth and Wild Honey. That would leave, if not a nocturnal album, then certainly something heavier. New York, In A Little While, Kite, Grace and even When I Look At The World could build up to Stateless and Ground Beneath quite nicely. And sonically, I don't think these songs are a million miles apart. ATYCLB has this icy grey layer lurking beneath its poppiness. Stateless, Ground Beneath and Levitate may have brought it to the surface. But I am fully agreed with you about ATYCLB's superiority over HTDAAB. I rated the former 8th and the latter bottom.

Back
Top Bottom