Achtung Baby BOXSET reissue - Number 6 - THIS THREAD IS ÜBER DELUXE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The most devastating thing just happened to me:

I pre-ordered my Super Deluxe the day it came available on Amazon. I saved money from every single paycheck from that time to Monday when it was shipped. I was so excited to get this. My favorite U2 album ever, an awesome deluxe box set, an awesome Kindergarten disc. I was so excited.

When my Super Deluxe came on Tuesday, I spent the whole night listening to it. Wednesday I spent all day watching the videos and reading the 92-page book (which is so, so cool). I was so happy. Such amazing material from this album.

Then....the worst happened. I come home from work last night (and, by the way, I'm staying at my parents' house while we wait for our apartment to be ready) only to find out that my dear mother, had placed her 44 ounce cup of Diet Coke on the coffee table on which I had my Super Deluxe out for display.

Yup, you guessed it. The Diet Coke spilled over everything - including my beloved Super Deluxe Achtung Baby - and my parents didn't catch it until it had soaked into the deluxe box, destroyed the 16 pictures of the album artwork, ruined the book, and soaked through that beautiful container. Surprisingly, the only thing that wasn't hurt bad were the CD's and DVD's, which is pretty lucky, I guess. But a lot of the stuff on those I've already seen/heard, so I was mainly excited for all the pictures, the book, and the awesomely huge box set. Which is now covered with this huge, glaring soda stain.

Yeah. Pretty much ruined.

Really depressed now. :sad:

I'm incredibly sorry.

er...aren't the drums in Oh Berlin just the drum track from an early version of Acrobat?

I'd have to go listen to compare and I don't know any backstory for Oh Berlin, but off the top of my head, I'd say the timing is different, as Oh Berlin has that mixed meter business going on (1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2), whereas Acrobat (I believe, although please correct me if I'm wrong) is strictly in the "straight" time of 3/8, 6/8 or 12/8, i.e., all 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2-3, with no 2-beat measures thrown in to give it the "mixed meter" feel.

Which doesn't mean that's not how an early version of Acrobat was, of course.

Interesting. Explains why Fortunate Son & Where Did It All Go Wrong have more of a R&H vibe to them. I'd a bet Paint it Black comes from those sessions as well.

I think I actually may move those two tracks to my R&H B-sides play list in iTunes.

Thanks for the really useful information....and the pun. :)

Where did it all go wrong is 100% AB sessions. They worked on it extensively on the Salome discs.

Where did it all go wrong is 100% AB sessions. They work on it extensively on the Salome discs.

And yet it didn't make the album. Where did it all go wrong?
smiley_nerd.gif

Just a quick question, is the version of Melon that comes in 500 of the Uber Deluxe boxed sets remastered?

zoopop said:
For those who bought the 'Vinyl' box set does it say how many they made? Wondering how limited it is.

I was on the Uber bandwagon but I didn't realize they didn't include the purple/blue vinyl for the b sides. Kind of whacky.... I could buy the vinyl and super box & still save $200!!!

That's what i did: Super + Vinyl box.

Sorry to ask again :reject: (I'm in Achtung Baby Purgatory right now on what to order)

How many vinyl box sets did they make? Any idea?

Sorry to ask again :reject: (I'm in Achtung Baby Purgatory right now on what to order)

How many vinyl box sets did they make? Any idea?

My guesstimate would be around 5.000 - 10.000... The numbered übers i've seen are above 8.000, so i guess 10.000 for the übers.

I thought about that, but I want that magnetic cabinet as much as the contents!

That's exactly why i didn't buy the über: the gigantic box. I have no physical space for that monster... And the only way to have everything audio-wise would be buying the vinyl box too because of that Night and Day twilight remix.

That's exactly why i didn't buy the über: the gigantic box. I have no physical space for that monster... And the only way to have everything audio-wise would be buying the vinyl box too because of that Night and Day twilight remix.

Yeah, there's an outside chance I end up eventually grabbing a vinyl box and being ridiculous.

I have a spot all picked out for the Uber box. Yes, it's a major piece, but I want that.

Yeah, there's an outside chance I end up eventually grabbing a vinyl box and being ridiculous.

I have a spot all picked out for the Uber box. Yes, it's a major piece, but I want that.

Me too but $200 more plus in doesn't include the colored vinyl. Uber should have all!!

I don't think Edge did liner notes for any of this. Someone did mention "liner notes" for Disc 2 of the deluxe earlier in this thread, but that was only referring to the track list with producer/additional musician information, right? Or is there actually commentary on each track in the 2-disc version?

Yes, track list with producer/musician information. No actual commentary on each track.

AtU2 is reporting that the single being released to promote the reissue is Blow Your House Down.

:|

Yeah, I'll take a stab and guess that getting played on classic rock stations isn't what they had in mind when they say they want to be on the radio.

I can understand the logic behind not wanting a remix of an older song as a single, but .... this?

"Blow Your House Down" is actually not a bad choice. It seems like the most "radio friendly" of the new tracks; it's got a catchy chorus. It's certainly a more gutsy move than releasing the EBTTRT remix, as good as it is. EBTTRT has been a single twice already.

That said, I can't really see this getting much airplay. But who knows?

AtU2 is reporting that the single being released to promote the reissue is Blow Your House Down.

:|

Thought they were going to go with the 360 version of EBTTRT as a single...might have been a better choice to go with a good remix of a well known song over an unkown song.

Any B-sides ?

I would have loved to see Down All the Days as the single, just because it's the "new" song I love the most, but I can also see the logic in not wanting a single that has the same music as one of their previous singles.

Too bad they didn't go with the remix, because it's a) actually from Achtung Baby, so why not use a new version to promote it?; and b) it's miles better than this one.

EBTTRT has been a single twice already.

When was the second release? (I'm trying to remember if I knew this and just forgot!)

Thought they were going to go with the 360 version of EBTTRT as a single...might have been a better choice to go with a good remix of a well known song over an unkown song.

I think it never got beyond Bono saying he was pushing for it as a single.

It's a better choice than EBTTRT simply because EBTTRT was already a single!

Oh Berlin is my favorite of the new tracks, but BYHD is the only one you can get for under $100, so it kind of is the obvious choice. Now, how about that video and B-sides????

I don't think Blow your house down has a chance on the radio. Would have loved to see the Fish out of water remix of EBTTRT (the 360 studio version) on the radio...with a good video.

I would have prefered "Down all the days", but "Blow your house down" sounds like a good single and re-releasing Real Thing would be ridiculous since it already was a single. I think releasing the remix of a 20 year old song as a single wouldn't exactly be very well received.

Back
Top Bottom