Achtung Baby 30th Anniversary Releases & Promo - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2021, 12:39 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 02:19 AM
Achtung Baby 30th Anniversary Releases & Promo

As expected, there will be reissues of the album on Vinyl and a digital release of some of the stuff from the previous boxset. The rumours last week were that there might be lots of different colours of the vinyl which would be available from different sources, but so far its just the red and blue one being advertised.

Content-wise and yours for £44.99.

Package includes:
• 30th Anniversary Limited Edition Deluxe Product
• 2 x 180g heavyweight coloured vinyl – LP1 pressed on Red Transparent vinyl, LP2 pressed on Blue Transparent vinyl
• Exclusive slipcase with an individually numbered sticker on the reverse
• Both LPs housed in a wide-spine sleeve with a newly designed 8 page booklet including lyrics & credits
• A limited edition bespoke 60cm x 60cm folded poster

Quote:
New, 30th anniversary editions of U2’s seminal Achtung Baby album are to be released by Island Records, Interscope, and UMe. The Standard and Deluxe vinyl release will be this Friday (November 19) with a 50-track digital box set available from December 3.

Achtung Baby (30th Anniversary Edition) will be available on standard black vinyl and deluxe color vinyl on November 19, with Achtung Baby (2018 Remaster) and Achtung Baby (Unter Remixes) available digitally the same day. The 50-track box set will include Uber Remixes, Unter Remixes, and B-Sides, featuring 22 tracks never before available digitally.
Also announced....

Quote:
U2 have collaborated with the Berlin-based French artist Thierry Noir, the first artist to paint on the Berlin Wall, on a one-off installation at the famed Hansa Studios in Kreuzberg. Thirty years ago, the band commissioned Noir to paint the series of Trabant cars that featured in the album artwork, and on 1991’s Zoo TV Tour. U2 x THIERRY NOIR marks Noir’s return with a newly-painted Trabant for 2021, as well as an exclusive mural painted on a section of the Berlin wall. Click here for free access and information.

The bonnet of the Trabant is to be auctioned at Phillips, London on December 9, as part of their New Now sale, from which proceeds will go to the Berlin Institute for Sound and Music. More information is available here.

The band’s SiriusXM channel U2 X-Radio will this month present an Achtung Baby special that will include interviews with band members and their collaborators on Achtung Baby, Daniel Lanois, Flood and Anton Corbijn.
Also, the official store has lots of AB merchandise ready to buy.... Some of it is new prints of classic AB/Zoo TV shirts, plus a bunch of new stuff with the classic logos & symbols on them.

https://shop.u2.com/?utm_campaign=30...icRg%3D.LpGWpL

ascender_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:37 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 03:19 AM
Nothing new. Will not buy.
At least some t-shirts/hoodies have a great design. But if the quality is the same as last years I will not buy these too.
I would have paid for unreleased material or a great 5.1 High resolution mix of the album on blu-ray/dvd. A pro-shot official zootv concert would also be welcome.

wolbersu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:44 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 09:19 PM
As per usual, none of the merch is really doing much for me, but I'm looking forward to the newest master being widely available. Unless I completely glazed over it, I was really hoping for a digital release of From the Sky Down... or new ZooTV shows, or something. Maybe they'll fold some stuff into the video upscale project.
pacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 01:56 PM   #4
More 5G Than Man

Local Time: 06:19 PM
I wanted the pin set until I saw it was $160.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:03 PM   #5
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:19 PM
They're now as lazy with reissues as Edge is with his guitar playing.
Hollow Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:27 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

22 tracks never before available digitally.

I’m assuming this is just the Kindergarten versions and outtakes that were on the 20th deluxe set?
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:28 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

womanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:33 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I wanted the pin set until I saw it was $160.
$30 for a tote bag? Fuck off.

You’re better off buying vintage AB/Zoo stuff on eBay; I have like 3 shirts that all cost less than these.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:34 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:19 PM
So strange that they didn’t do a vinyl box for AB like they did for ATYCLB? I thought at a minimum we’d have a zootv show on vinyl, and if we were a little lucky - not Sydney.
dan_smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 02:35 PM   #10
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
22 tracks never before available digitally.

I’m assuming this is just the Kindergarten versions and outtakes that were on the 20th deluxe set?
The kindergarten versions aren't part of this. Just the album, remixes, b sides, and outtakes from the 2011 set.

https://www.u2songs.com/discography/u2_achtung_baby_30th_anniversary_release
Old 11-15-2021, 02:56 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

What could they have put out that they haven't already put out besides perhaps another concert, of which we already have two (Sydney and Dublin)?
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 04:07 PM   #12
War Child

The kindergarten versions are a curious omission, yet I don’t believe these kindergarten versions were even true demos.

Though at this point, after the 20th anniversary release, there’s probably not much left over. They did the documentary. They released some vault-y stuff.

This band just doesn’t really want to truly delve into the vaults it seems. The Salome demos, to me, are interesting enough to release - but they chose to re-record them with modern vocals and (I believe) overdubs. I could listen to the early versions of Blow Your House Down all day. But the re-recorded version didn’t do anything for me.

Plus I could listen to the Wake Up Dead Man/Lady With The Spinning Head demo with the double vocal all day - but again, no dice. Maybe for the 40th anniversary.
The John Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 04:39 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The John Tree View Post
The kindergarten versions are a curious omission, yet I don’t believe these kindergarten versions were even true demos.

Though at this point, after the 20th anniversary release, there’s probably not much left over. They did the documentary. They released some vault-y stuff.

This band just doesn’t really want to truly delve into the vaults it seems. The Salome demos, to me, are interesting enough to release - but they chose to re-record them with modern vocals and (I believe) overdubs. I could listen to the early versions of Blow Your House Down all day. But the re-recorded version didn’t do anything for me.

Plus I could listen to the Wake Up Dead Man/Lady With The Spinning Head demo with the double vocal all day - but again, no dice. Maybe for the 40th anniversary.
yea short of a full on official release of the salome tapes, they've milked Achtung Baby for all they can at this point.

they put out a shirt with adam's wang on it, tho
Headache in a Suitcase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 04:47 PM   #14
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
yea short of a full on official release of the salome tapes, they've milked Achtung Baby for all they can at this point.

Same with Joshua Tree but that didn't stop them from doing a 30th anniversary set with a new live show, a handful of new remixes, and putting things on vinyl that hadn't been previously released. They should have done something like that for Acthtung, especially since the super deluxe has been OOP for several years. Even the 2cd with the b sides is OOP.

The digital-only set should also be released on vinyl and cd, with the Kindergarten version and audio and/or video from another Zoo TV show. They're handling the 30th anniversary of their greatest achievement terribly.
Old 11-15-2021, 04:50 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:19 AM
Two bad reissues in a row. Way to not honour some of your best known albums.

Ab30 tour in 2023 ? Full album performance a la bbc night in 2017 ? Some live non Sydney show as a fan club gift ? This album deserved better.
U2girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 05:13 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

This is the second reissue of AB in, what, 5 years? I didn't really WANT anything else. But I wish that one hat wasn't a trucker hat, because it's probably the only piece of merch I want
Old 11-15-2021, 05:29 PM   #17
New Yorker

This isn't a reissue: all they're doing is repressing the LP because it sold out, and adding some bullshit packaging so they can pretend that it's new.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:57 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:19 PM
I don’t actually have Achtung Baby on vinyl, so I’m okay with this. I might pick it up.
the tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:18 PM   #19
New Yorker

It's nice that it's being repressed but it would have happened anyway. If pressing plants weren't so backed up it wouldn't have gone out of print.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:50 PM   #20
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post

Hewson is offline   Reply With Quote