Achtung Baby 30th Anniversary Releases & Promo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So not sure if any of you guys are familiar with Matt Nathanson, I have heard a few songs, and he's pretty good. A little bit on the mellow acoustic side. Come on Get Higher is probably one you would recognize.

but come to find out he is a U2 super fan, and has just released an album called Achtung Matty with him doing the full album. It's alright, maybe a bit too straight-forward to make it interesting. But cool to see him do something for the 30th

https://music.apple.com/us/album/achtung-matty/1595222294?uo=2

North & South of the River and Two Shots Of Happy One Shot Of Sad alone are worth the price of admission.

Agreed. Maybe I haven't looked quite hard enough but I've never had a handle on the exact songwriting credits for North & South--whether it's just Christy Moore and they covered it or it was credited to him and U2. Been a while since I had a copy of Best of 1990-2000/B-Sides to double-check, but I think his version(s) is/are credited to just him, but U2's version is credited to both. #semantics

Agreed. Maybe I haven't looked quite hard enough but I've never had a handle on the exact songwriting credits for North & South--whether it's just Christy Moore and they covered it or it was credited to him and U2. Been a while since I had a copy of Best of 1990-2000/B-Sides to double-check, but I think his version(s) is/are credited to just him, but U2's version is credited to both. #semantics

b & e are credited as songwriters on all versions. i believe it was a track Christy had but never finished and then finished it with bono/edge.

I don't know how many people got through all the Discotheque remixes, but this one has a deranged minute-long "rap" by Bono that is priceless (starts around 5:10):

Anyone who sat through that deserves an award or a medal, or at least a cuddle. That was brutal.

Anyone who sat through that deserves an award or a medal, or at least a cuddle. That was brutal.

It's one of my favourite remixes of that song, because it is such a weird mix. I never cared for the original version of the song, but the Howie B, Hairy B Mix at least made something interesting of it. (I believe the David Holmes Remix is another version that I do like)

Anyone else not able to stream all the tracks on Apple Music? Disk 2 and 4 are grayed out.

I think the others two discs are released on December 3rd for whatever reason. It isn't showing up at all for me in Apple Music (on desktop) without searching and clicking through from the main release. Weird way to cram this all in between Sing 2 and the holidays but what else would we expect at this point from our adorable little marketing geniuses.

Interesting wee article with Edge

Kinky.

artworks-000023048865-nwpmj0-t500x500.jpg

I also went to the US ITunes Store this morning to check for this Zucchero Discover Album Canta La Vita song which is the official release of “Let Your Love Be Known” from last year that has a Bono cameo and couldn’t find it, but listened to it on YouTube.

Sat here drinking beer and very drunk,blasting ZOO TV Sydney up at 11. What a fucking band.

Achtung Y'all.

Ha! My drinks have begun and i just started Sydney about 10 minutes ago. There’s a magic, an energy that was captured during these years and this tour that is unexplainable. cheers!!!

If you have Apple music, check out the Strombo episode on the Achtung Anniversary. Refreshing to hear someone talk about about U2 and AB eloquently and intelligently. Also some great music played throughout, both bands that influenced AB and bands that U2 has influenced. Enjoyable.

Ha! My drinks have begun and i just started Sydney about 10 minutes ago. There’s a magic, an energy that was captured during these years and this tour that is unexplainable. cheers!!!
Definitely peak U2.......and today I feel a bit fragile. Where's my wrap around shades?

If you have Apple music, check out the Strombo episode on the Achtung Anniversary. Refreshing to hear someone talk about about U2 and AB eloquently and intelligently. Also some great music played throughout, both bands that influenced AB and bands that U2 has influenced. Enjoyable.

Do you need a subscription or is it free? Strombo knows his shit, and he's a nice guy.

Listening to the 2018 remaster for what might be the first time, on a pair of okay headphones, and I like how it sounds. Particularly, you can hear Adam with more articulation than I ever recall. His bassline during the EBTTRT solo really stands out, and even shines, more than before.

Never seen a record packaged like this, 3 covers inside each other.
Mine has the new red design on the outside, the Adam cover which is a slipcase inside and the original cover inside the Adam cover, easy to take out but a nightmare to get the Adam cover back inside the red cover.
Everything looks great and i'm delighted to see the original cover back to full colour, not sure how I will store this, might store the outer elsewhere, the Adam cover has to be on display, you will understand when you see it!!!

The discs look fantastic, transparent red and blue vinyl and mine are perfectly flat.
Haven't listened to every track, did a quick A/B of Zoo Station and Ultra Violet with the 2011 press I have from the box set and it sounds almost identical with a fraction of additional surface noise although I haven't cleaned them yet.

This is good but could have been better, the packaging is too tight, too much crammed in to flimsy sleeves, including the booklet and the poster. would have preferred a gatefold 33rpm with the B sides as an extra disc.
8.5/10 from me, I have no. 2098

Last edited:
12 inches of Adam in his full glory

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 32
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 31
Not surprise they weren't allowed to use this cover

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 31
Red and blue vinyl

Attachments

• 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for the pictures! I didn't even consider getting this set until you started posting these. I also don't own AB on vinyl, so despite kind of not buying records much anymore, I am compelled to maybe ask for this for Christmas or my birthday if it doesn't sell out completely.

Is there a download code?

Do you need a subscription or is it free? Strombo knows his shit, and he's a nice guy.

Well you have to have Apple Music. Would be worth doing a free trial maybe. I see there is also a The Strombo Show app. Maybe check there.

Yeah, he was really good. Said he would fight anyone about U2. lol. Really good show throughout.

Back
Top Bottom