ABC NEWS: Bono injured in rehearsal, undergoes emergency back surgery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides Paul, there is one other person who has had one of the longest Business/friendships with these guys since they became U2. He is an " Island Guy" . You think he knows? I could throw a Tomato and hit his window. S Miami Beach is a small community. Very small. People from the industry that are here on any given day would be a large crowd.

Are you freakin kidding me? No it's not a 'very small community'. You can easily live on one side and never bump into anyone from the other. You're talking out of your ass, trying to create a 'knowledge mystique' around your persona here. My wife's family can hit Chris' house in Jamaica with a mango, so fucking what?? And trust me, THAT community is a truly "small tight knit community". Everyone knows EVERYONE, including the foreigners, and you can't even drive out of your driveway and go into town for groceries without everyone knowing about it.

Look, either you are a qualified medical practitioner or somehow associated with the band or fairly close to it, or you're an absolute nobody spouting off endlessly. If you're a doctor, state your name and your professional credentials. Somehow that seems doubtful as I'm not aware of any true professional, save a medical one, who has time to spend posting endlessly speculative posts on Interference about Bono or U2. If you're somehow associated with the band or fairly close to it, then you are already well aware just how inappropriate it is for you to be on here blabbing on and on, or you'll be made aware pretty quickly, so you might as well just can it already.

Of course, I don't know what the situation is with Bono. I only wish him complete success. Especially, with his back problems.

Pulled muscles, a tear in the ligament surrounding bulging disc and thus, compressed Sciatic Nerve in the Lumbar region of the back. Is a common sports/falling down injury. Conventional Therapy is the first thing that is done. After ruling out, that the disc has not fragmented. Six to eight months and I do know this first hand. Is the timeline. No longer. If not is all well, meaning a complete recovery and 90% flexibility, muscle strength regained, then it's surgery. Most people never have to have this. Unless of course, a fragment dislodges.

I have never worn a hard brace. And I haven't re-injured my Lumbar Disc, either. Once was quite enough! I'm not younger than Bono. I am a three years older than him. But, then again. I don't have to perform on stage. I can see where it would be much easier to take a spill, than working as a secretary.

I have a question. Isn't it possible that each time Bono fell, he had a new injury and not the continuation of an old one? I just can't imagine that anyone would be in that kind of constant pain for eight years and not seek out surgery to relieve it.

Anyway, it isn't his fault or no laughing matter. Back pain is a B****!

U2 has always been smart with business. I don't blame them. I know this is off topic. But, many songwriters were robbed during the sixties of royalties that were rightfully theirs.

Getting back on topic.....Bono's surgeon explained to the press. There was an 8mm tare in the ligament. It was repaired and a disc fragment, which had broken loose was removed.

I asked my step daughter who is an orthopedic surgical nurse. She told me, they like to get the patient up and moving ASAP. Usually, the next day. It helps the muscles from becoming too stiff. And then, the patient of course follows up with some PT. To get those muscles flexible and strong.

Of course, she doesn't know of Bono's particular back problems. She wasn't in the operating room. But, with the info. I told her. She thinks that perhaps a Discectomy was performed. Recovery from this procedure, is fairly quick. Because the rest of the disc is left in place. Much better for the patient. To have their disc. Than it to be removed and bone graft, hardware, steel rods, supporting the spine. But, the patient still has to be careful. Not to fall, twist suddenly, strain their backs by sitting or standing too long, or to lift any heavy objects. While, they are recovering from the surgery. This can cause re-injury. Proper Body Mechanics are a must.

Where she works. The surgeons and PT's highly recommend a healthy lifestyle, normal weight, good nutrition and an exercise program. As continued follow up care. Even after their PT is finished. Walking and swimming are excellent. So are those gentle and easy to do, lower back strengthening exercises. This should be done for the rest of the patient's, life.

I do this everyday and will swear by it. I haven't re-injured my lumbar disc in over thirteen years.

Are you freakin kidding me? No it's not a 'very small community'. You can easily live on one side and never bump into anyone from the other. You're talking out of your ass, trying to create a 'knowledge mystique' around your persona here. My wife's family can hit Chris' house in Jamaica with a mango, so fucking what?? And trust me, THAT community is a truly "small tight knit community". Everyone knows EVERYONE, including the foreigners, and you can't even drive out of your driveway and go into town for groceries without everyone knowing about it.

Look, either you are a qualified medical practitioner or somehow associated with the band or fairly close to it, or you're an absolute nobody spouting off endlessly. If you're a doctor, state your name and your professional credentials. Somehow that seems doubtful as I'm not aware of any true professional, save a medical one, who has time to spend posting endlessly speculative posts on Interference about Bono or U2. If you're somehow associated with the band or fairly close to it, then you are already well aware just how inappropriate it is for you to be on here blabbing on and on, or you'll be made aware pretty quickly, so you might as well just can it already.

Yes R.H. is very small

main South beach is approx 35x17 that is small. Everyone knows everyone.

I havent said anything inappropriate. Many people have been talking about this injury. I said " he is wearing a hard brace, and I said, "he injured this long ago, in 2003 . Both are very true and well known and well discussed by most everyone who was then and now affected by it. there is no speculation involved.

"Somehow that seems doubtful as I'm not aware of any true professional,
save a medical one, who has time to spend. "

I don't know any true professionals in my world who don't do it. ever heard of on call?

Have a wonderful evening .

U2 has always been smart with business. I don't blame them. I know this is off topic. But, many songwriters were robbed during the sixties of royalties that were rightfully theirs.

Getting back on topic.....Bono's surgeon explained to the press. There was an 8mm tare in the ligament. It was repaired and a disc fragment, which had broken loose was removed.

I asked my step daughter who is an orthopedic surgical nurse. She told me, they like to get the patient up and moving ASAP. Usually, the next day. It helps the muscles from becoming too stiff. And then, the patient of course follows up with some PT. To get those muscles flexible and strong.

Of course, she doesn't know of Bono's particular back problems. She wasn't in the operating room. But, with the info. I told her. She thinks that perhaps a Discectomy was performed. Recovery from this procedure, is fairly quick. Because the rest of the disc is left in place. Much better for the patient. To have their disc. Than it to be removed and bone graft, hardware, steel rods, supporting the spine. But, the patient still has to be careful. Not to fall, twist suddenly, strain their backs by sitting or standing too long, or to lift any heavy objects. While, they are recovering from the surgery. This can cause re-injury. Proper Body Mechanics are a must.

Where she works. The surgeons and PT's highly recommend a healthy lifestyle, normal weight, good nutrition and an exercise program. As continued follow up care. Even after their PT is finished. Walking and swimming are excellent. So are those gentle and easy to do, lower back strengthening exercises. This should be done for the rest of the patient's, life.

I do this everyday and will swear by it. I haven't re-injured my lumbar disc in over thirteen years.

"There was an 8mm tare in the ligament. It was repaired and a disc fragment, which had broken loose was removed. " Plural and it was fragments

'Because the rest of the disc is left in place"- hopefully, but.....

"discovered fragments of the disc had traveled into the spinal canal

"Than it to be removed and bone graft, hardware, steel rods, supporting the spine"

bone graft, hardware X2 L-4,L-5 location location location

The prognosis is excellent but to obtain a sustainable result, he must now enter a period of rehabilitation'.
The doctors state "that eight weeks is the minimum time needed", so it could take longer.

You treated yours the first time . makes a big difference

I havent said anything inappropriate. Many people have been talking about this injury. I said " he is wearing a hard brace, and I said, "he injured this long ago, in 2003 . Both are very true and well known and well discussed by most everyone who was then and now affected by it. there is no speculation involved.

We all know he's had back problems, no one is disputing that. The fact that you keep trying to make this the issue and gloss over all of the other BS is very telling.

The back brace IS nothing but speculation on your part and done so to get a rise out of people.

You have no evidence of this, and the "evidence" you've tried to present is nothing but tabloid, with YOU being the tabloid source.

I didn't know it was several fragmented pieces. From, what I read. I admit, really didn't understand.

I thought it was a bulging/ herniated disc that was re-injured, causing sever compressing to the Sciatic Nerve. A small brittle part of it had broken off and found it's way into the spinal canal.

Not degenerative disc disease. I can understand this would make a difference.

I don't have a medical degree. My BA is in the Liberal Arts. So, I am learning as I read.

And thanks. I am very aware of taking good care of my back.

Even though, medical insurance. Which, I thought mine was great at that time. All of it looks good on paper. In reality, sucked. Sadly, I found out. When, I really needed it. They wouldn't cover anything. Yet, they still had no problem taking a hefty portion, out of our paychecks each week.

I had a great JH physician. He did triple duty. Internist, ortheo and PT. He understood. I couldn't afford thousands of dollars of medical bills. My insurance company would not pay for.

"Elective care, as they would call it." He even gave me free medical books, I could read and would show me, exactly how to do the PT. At home. He beat the insurance companies, by calling all of my care. Follow up visits. He recommended for us to buy a cheap K-Mart, three foot deep pool. And showed me exactly what to do. PT in the water. It worked wonders.

:up:

I don't know any doctor or health professional (and I know quite a few of them even in my own family) who would speculate this way with somebody's health and treatment, in my opinion Benji is just a nobody seeking attention.

:up:

I don't know any doctor or health professional (and I know quite a few of them even in my own family) who would speculate this way with somebody's health and treatment, in my opinion Benji is just a nobody seeking attention.

Exactly :up:

Another thing that occurred to me is that Bono probably could not sing properly if he was really wearing a brace. Maybe he was wearing on between shows or before tours to help support his back, but certainly not during performances. I think it would make it very difficult for him to breathe and thus sing properly, let alone move around like he does on stage.

well, i normally like to give the benefit of the doubt, but as soon as someone feels the need to name-drop triple-digit glasses of wine, my w**ker alarm bells can't help but start ringing :D

Looks like this thread has reached it's end. If anyone wants to continue a general discussion on back injuries they can visit the thread in Lemonade Stand that A-Stor started. For discussion on the impact Bono's back injury had on the tour visit the thread in the General Tour forum.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom