A Sort of Homecoming w David Letterman - Disney+

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Letterman I always loved. And still do. Good to see him.

I enjoyed seeing the U2 band, Bono, The Edge and of course Glen Hansard and his baby blues.

What I love is that Bono calls him The Edge and I'm like does he really call him that in private or is he like "Dave! Come on, Dave!!!!"

I really enjoyed it, but with so much to cover - separate Bono and Edge interviews about the band's history and SOS, David Letterman travelogue, larger context of the history of Ireland, plus concert performances and more - ultimately felt short and surface level (though to be expected really).

I learned nicknames for Adam and Larry I never heard somehow.

is it worth watching?

Yeah it is. Performances are good, interesting questions, some history stuff that wasn't quite known, Glen Hansard fanboying about the early days of the band. Letterman does a great job. Even people not stoked on this new collection will get lot out of it.

40 Foot Man

We came across this 40 foot man
A colossus on our tiny island
We nearly lost him up on Sandycove Strand
But being swept away was part of his plan

Oh, and the monster's not under the sea
Oh, the monster's sitting next to me

And he's not frightening
He's not even biting
His tongue's like lightning
The 40 foot man

It can take a stranger to see yourself
An outside eye can be of great help
He's only one, but he'll pop it right out
He's a caring, sharing cyclops of this there's no doubt

He's not that frightening
He's not even biting
His tongue's fast as lightening
The 40 foot man

Oh, what a wonderful discovery
Oh, and I find we're laughing nervously

He's not that frightening
He's not even biting
A tongue like lightening
The 40 foot man
The 40 foot man

Yes thanks for that, it's a great package! Your version of 40 Foot Man starts with some crowd noise, I guess I don't remember if that's how it was in the special or if you've just edited it like that to give the "soundtrack album" a continuous listening experience.

Yes thanks for that, it's a great package! Your version of 40 Foot Man starts with some crowd noise, I guess I don't remember if that's how it was in the special or if you've just edited it like that to give the "soundtrack album" a continuous listening experience.

It does run in for the fade in of the song. It’s quieter in the doco so I just leant in and made it a bit more obvious, because it annoyed me. I just figured if people wanted a cleaner version they can save one of the YouTube vids as an mp3.

All good - just google YouTube to mp3 there’s a heap of online tools for converting - just paste the video url into the thing.

I just love how dark the vocal effects make EBW sound. It creates the “drop of acid” Bono talks about. The jeopardy that matches the lyric. The album version is too poppy. The piano version too dynamically flat. This creates a feeling like you’re trapped under the water and the waves keep crashing over you and stop you from breaking through. Fucking love it.

I thought I heard it was Adam would thought religious stuff was dumb and just wanted to be in the rock band. But in letterman special they claimed it was because edge wrote Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Maybe it was both. But in my mind Adam saved the band.

I thought I heard it was Adam would thought religious stuff was dumb and just wanted to be in the rock band. But in letterman special they claimed it was because edge wrote Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Maybe it was both. But in my mind Adam saved the band.

bono shared a similar story in the book - that the pull away from shalom was after edge wrote sunday bloody sunday.

Wow. This was superb! It had such a perfect “tone” throughout… obviously focused on Bono/Edge and the band’s history, but acknowledging many of the different sides and stories while also giving plenty of spotlight to other people and places that were so critical to making them who they are. Absolutely loved it. And Letterman was a gracious host.

Couldn’t get over how fantastic Bono sounded during those live performances though, wow! All the arrangements were great and shot beautifully well. I am so happy this turned out great.

Last edited:
I liked the part where the last lines of Sunday Bloody Sunday were crossed out and replaced with "religion is the enemy of the holy spirit guide" or whatever that shit was.

Back
Top Bottom