A little bit of venting...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I try to see both sides. I don't force U2 upon anyone and I don't want anyone to force something/someone onto me. We can all get along. I haven't really made bad experiences with my friends because of U2. My family tends to mock me, but then again, they really have no idea. My father doesn't even know that U2 is a band, he thinks only Bono is a singer because he's the only one he knows from the media and when I'm going to a U2 show he's always: You go to see HIM again? :lol:

I've felt that most of my friends are especially mature in a sense that they can accept the things that are important to me even if they don't understand or don't particularely share them. We have a certain level of tolerance that makes it possible to accept each other for what they are. Maybe that's because they are my friends, they are open-minded. I also came to discover that many people I know don't know much about U2, so they sometimes ask me or are curious about the band. Sometimes they come up with a song they like, sometimes they say that they don't like the music, it's all fine for me.

But it CAN be frustrating if friends keep on attacking you because of the band. I'm glad I don't have to experience that.

One of my friends is a buddhist and he's very much into studying buddhism. We've grown apart a little bit because he's so much into these studies and I find it sad, but we're still friends and even though I don't fully understand his devotion to buddhism, I accept that it's important to him and gives him a sense of perspective and fulfillment in life. You don't have to agree with 100% of what your friends do or what is important to them, but I think tolerance is the key here, even if it's not easy all the time.

I used to get angry about it to when I was younger, I've been putting up with it since 1986!! lots of people just don't like U2, I have managed to convert quite a few, but at a certain point I just stopped caring, around 2000 I think. So that's 14 years of fanatically arguing the case for U2 against everybody, please don't put yourself through that and just face the facts, u2 are a much loved AND a much hated band.

I try to see both sides.

I think this is a very intelligent perspective, intellectually.

People should (a) accept, fundamentally, that other people see/experience the world in different ways (this would seem obvious, but millions of people can't do it), (b) learn not to feel put-upon or offended when other people express opinions counter to yours, and (c) actually look at the other side(s) to try to understand it and maybe even learn from it.

It's funny you mention Buddhism, too -- I've been trading in and around E.Asian circles for about 11 years now, and a lot of my friends are Buddhists. I go to a Buddhism/meditation class from a Taiwanese monk. One of my best friends is a Japanese monk. The Dalai Llama's brother and translator stayed at my dormitory in Canada and gave talks on Buddhism.

I am fundamentally, not Buddhist, and almost surely never will be. There are things about Buddhism (generally speaking) that I find distasteful. But I certainly appreciate learning about it, and I've been able to take away from it some things that have profoundly influenced me.

This may seem a long way from "my buddies hate U2!", but in fact it's all the same. Just appreciate different perspectives, and don't worry about people agreeing with you.

I think this is a very intelligent perspective, intellectually.

People should (a) accept, fundamentally, that other people see/experience the world in different ways (this would seem obvious, but millions of people can't do it), (b) learn not to feel put-upon or offended when other people express opinions counter to yours, and (c) actually look at the other side(s) to try to understand it and maybe even learn from it.

It's funny you mention Buddhism, too -- I've been trading in and around E.Asian circles for about 11 years now, and a lot of my friends are Buddhists. I go to a Buddhism/meditation class from a Taiwanese monk. One of my best friends is a Japanese monk. The Dalai Llama's brother and translator stayed at my dormitory in Canada and gave talks on Buddhism.

I am fundamentally, not Buddhist, and almost surely never will be. There are things about Buddhism (generally speaking) that I find distasteful. But I certainly appreciate learning about it, and I've been able to take away from it some things that have profoundly influenced me.

This may seem a long way from "my buddies hate U2!", but in fact it's all the same. Just appreciate different perspectives, and don't worry about people agreeing with you.

good advice, and i might add you have a rather interesting and cool background.

cheers :up:

I agree with all posts above that say U2 are overexposed. Right now, it's generally cool to dislike them. Just like it was in the late 80s and the late 90's (I see a pattern....). I really think after the 360 tour, U2 need to lay low for a couple years. Naturally, an empty void will form in the music industry, and then U2 will come back with an awesome new album (hopefully with a different producer... need something new) and it will be considered a welcome comeback. It's happened to them before, it'll happen again.

I still think they should release Songs of Ascent, or at least an EP of SOME new material next springs, since they have the better part of a year's worth of touring still ahead of them. U2 should just keep it's release low key. That in itself would earn them some "cred". Then again, reports would be focusing on poor sales, etc. They aren't going to win this time. Best bet is to go away and dream it all up again.

There has been a lot of hate for U2 for the last 25 years this really isnt anything new.

Id say even since 1983 there has been some hatred for U2 as the majority of people that listen to music think you should not mix music and politics or religion. Also Bono comes off to a lot of people as being egotistical and that hasnt ever helped the bands image. However theyve still sold in excess of 150 million albums so I dont think they are starving to death.

They are not liked by classic rock enthusiasts who want blues based music. They are not a woodstock era band. Not cut from that cloth. Their still is something about those old 60's/70's rock acts that connects stronger then any act since. u2 overexposed? not compared to how many times pink floyd has been played on the radio. U2 wishes they were TRULY overexposed like those older artists. classic rock jr

I also think it's just because of Bono that a lot of people hate Bono. I was surfing and I came across a music forum and someone said about the Joshua Tree that he liked the album pretty much but that he always saw the face of Bono in his head when he listened to it and that he had a hard time to listen to U2 because of that.:down:

Anyway, my friends are pretty indifferent to U2, don't like them don't hate them but I don't try to force U2 upon them or something.

Being a 15 year old U2 fan in my high school when the Discotheque video came out = social suicide!!

Being a 15 year old U2 fan in the same high school, but 4 years when my brother was that age, was considered to be cool.

Don't waste your energy on them. You would expect a little respect from your friends, when it comes to feelings. I have friends who also dislike U2, but they respect the fact that I'm a fan and realize that they also love bands I don't like.
Also, a little honesty from band members is required, especially when it comes to choosing songs to play.

It is also very fashionable to say that U2 are dispicable and that Bono's a poser and a rich bastard, etc.

Good luck:hug:

You'll always have your U2 friends here on the Blue Crack.

I think part of the problem is that U2 tends to have 2 kinds of fans; the casual and the super-obsessed. I always run into people who say..."I looove U2." and then when I start asking questions, 9 times out of 10 they'll mis-pronounce Bonos name. Oh well.

Hi Zoo,

I would have felt hurt, too. If someone made fun of me, for the music that I like. I think the way your friends handled this, was a bit childish. My best friend likes Country Music. Personally, I am not a fan of it. But, I wouldn't hurt her feelings for anything in the world. She knows, I like Rock Music and never makes negative remarks about U2 or any other band.

We both feel that there is enough variety, so there is something for everyone. Telling someone that their favorite band, or what ever, sucks. Is hurtful and mean spirited. It is like saying....."I am better than you." And no one is.

Take care and don't let your friends, get you down. :wave:

P.S. It is fantastic that you also, play music. I don't have that talent. Keep up with it. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't express your heart's desire.

I think what I thought was interesting was when your friends informed you that they "despised" U2 and had been "waiting" to tell you. Despise? Really? That's a little harsh. It almost sounds like they got their jollies from telling you that when they know how much you enjoy U2. I agree with everyone who says you can't make anyone like U2, if they don't so be it. But, I'm gonna think outside the box and suggest that maybe you should find some different friends. Them shitting on U2 WAS a personal attack. They could have told you that they just weren't into U2. Easy enough. But, instead, they told you that they were waiting to tell you how much they despised them. That sounds pretty douchey for sure.

Well, their in the middle of a tour that will soon become the highest grossing and highest attended tour of all time. The album, NLOTH is the 5th biggest selling album worldwide of 2009.

Also, NLOTH is one of only 8 albums released in 2009 to have sold over 1 million copies in the United States this year.

So, I wouldn't really say this is a "down cycle" for them at the moment.

For U2 it is.

I know that you're overly attached to numbers and charts to prove points, but there are many, many intangibles of popularity that can't be measured in those ways. Bono has as much as said that this album is an underachiever for them.

I always run into people who say..."I looove U2." and then when I start asking questions, 9 times out of 10 they'll mis-pronounce Bonos name. Oh well.

This :lol:

To the OP...I know how you feel. Similar things have happened to me often, and I have wondered if it's abnormal for me to feel that I simply cannot get along with someone who hates U2. When something/someone has had such a profound impact on you, and has influenced who you are, it does feel very personal when someone attacks it. We can ignore them, argue with them, laugh at or weep for their idiocy...whatever makes ya happy. A similar situation happened to me at work recently, and it was only with an aquaintance. But, I'll be honest, that person's words have caused me to scratch him off the "potenial friend" list with red ink. If that sounds wrong, or stupid, oh well. That's how I feel. There will always be people who say it's dumb to care that much. Everyone's different. The important thing is...remember that you're not the only one who gets pissed off about that stuff!!! :hi5:

i think u2 fans are generally a passionate group, more passionate than most. And i have ran into some very stubborn music fans, but u2 fans on average really do take the cake. But i dont know if some of us are mistaking good old fashioned fun for "personal attacks" or whatever. If someone is just having a good time then maybe we shouldn't get our panties in a wad. That said, i have been there, so i do understand. And most of the time people who bash u2 will freely admit to liking some of the worst bands on the planet as if there is nothing wrong with it. Or those people will also let mainstream radio dictate what they like. It's one thing if someone dislikes u2 but has an impressive taste and understanding in music, but if we are talking Kelly Clarkson or GaGa fans here then why even bother getting worked up? If anything we should feel sorry for them or at least be glad we know better.

i think u2 fans are generally a passionate group, more passionate than most. And i have ran into some very stubborn music fans, but u2 fans on average really do take the cake. But i dont know if some of us are mistaking good old fashioned fun for "personal attacks" or whatever. If someone is just having a good time then maybe we shouldn't get our panties in a wad. That said, i have been there, so i do understand. And most of the time people who bash u2 will freely admit to liking some of the worst bands on the planet as if there is nothing wrong with it. Or those people will also let mainstream radio dictate what they like. It's one thing if someone dislikes u2 but has an impressive taste and understanding in music, but if we are talking Kelly Clarkson or GaGa fans here then why even bother getting worked up? If anything we should feel sorry for them or at least be glad we know better.

I agree with every single word you wrote :up:

I totally understand you Zoo. I guess we've all been through that situation...
But hey, whenever you feel like that, remember that you have Interferencers to lift you up :grouphug:

The particular reasons people (pretend to) hate U2:
-- Their music tries hard to be uplifting.
-- Their music is spiritual.
-- They're not cool and aren't apologetic about it.
-- Bono is a do-gooder.
-- They've been over-exposed (this is partly their fault).

And then, there's the biggest sin of them all, the most unforgiveable fault:

-- They've been the world's biggest group since cro-magnon man.

Things that are (a) really popular and (b) really uncool are prime targets for music / cultural snobs to dis. U2 exemplify both.

I think the history of U2 moving in and out of pop-culture approval goes something like this:
1980 to 1982: cool, young, up-and-coming group loved by college students
1983 to 1985: cool, young and arriving group loved by college students
1987: massive group loved by everyone
1988 to 1990: overexposed stadium rockers, loved by uncool rock fans
1991 to 1994: cool, spiritual Godfathers of the "alternative rock goes mainstream" movement
1997 to 1999: old dudes, a bit washed-up
2000 to 2006: mainstream rockers, back to being accessible and big, welcomed
2009: old dudes, a bit washed up and overexposed.

It is a bit baffling, though, why some fans of groups like Pearl Jam, The Clash, The Stone Roses, The Who, or Oasis don't like U2, since the style is pretty much the same.

Oh, then there's the fact that a lot of old farts (like my Dad) don't like U2 because they have absolutely no "blues" bones in their bodies.

Hello interference! Damn, I just realized its been a month plus since my last post! I don't have a particularly good excuse! Alot of good stuff here, 65980, great timetable, thanks for being the one who took the time to write it out for us, as that is very helpful! I think its accurate and a good way to look at U2's popularity.

I do often think that alot of the U2 hatred is due to their success. Like alot of people said in this very good thread, when they ask their friends to explain their U2 hatred, they often can not name a song or album or era that they particularly dislike. Its success, and what you mentioned above about perceptions of Bono as a do gooder millionaire asshole. Most of these haters simply lack context. They have no idea that Bono grew up amidst the poverty and war that he works to end, no idea that he cared about Africa long before it was the cool thing to do, that he puts a shitload of his own time and money into advancing the causes he believes in, and most importantly, that he is no more political now than he has ever been.

The same lack of context can be seen with haters regarding the musical side of U2. When I ask why the hate, when I really press people, a common response is "I am sure they were really great in the 80s, but now... they're just old.....etc" we have all heard it! No mention of the 3 very strong, sales and quality wise, albums they have released and supported with massively successful tours just this decade. Objective critics, not just die hard fans, still in 2009 rate U2 the best live band playing today. Just look at the boxscores for confirmation by millions and millions of paying concert goers in 2009/10. Watch highly prominent shows like SNL and Letterman- people are amazed at how these 4 old Irish guys take a 15 minute time slot and shoot much more tangible- through- TV energy into it than 7 or 8 20 yr olds in last week's band. But amazingly, and I have no idea why, haters seem completely oblivious to this!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually recently had an argument with a co worker friend of mine. Its a story that illustrates exactly what we are talking about. We were sitting in the 5 Guys Burgers and Fries at Gillette Stadium. We got to talking about concerts at the venue, and this 29 yr old girl said that it would be really awesome if Coldplay played here. I made no comments as to my opinion on Coldplay(which is actually neutral leaning favorable, save the few times I just want to punch them for even letting themselves be compared to U2!). I simply said "couldn't fill it." Objective fact, they have been trying to fill a US stadium for many years and a few albums now; have not. Taylor Swift just did. That was all I said. We talk about some more bands, no arguing yet, then she says that the band she really hates is U2. I admit to taking it a little personal since she knew I was a huge fan, but still, all I did was offer her a little deal:"In 30 yrs, Jess, stay friends with me on Facebook, and if in 30 yrs, Coldplay has sold 170 million albums, won 22 grammys, had many massively successful world tours, and while they are at it, somehow write a new book on playing stadiums twice(Zoo TV for elaborate, 360 for selling # of seats and going in the round) and still be going strong after all that, then I will mail you the deed to whatever house I own." She got upset, started asking why the F(she is not a very classy girl) Bono always wears those stupid sunglasses, and says she just hates everything about them. I told her headaches and camera flashes for one, and the other reason, The Fly persona, I did not have time or energy or any desire to explain to someone like her.

The ironic thing is, she pulled out the whole 80s great, now they suck card. Well, if her 2 bands are Bruce and Coldplay(I beyond love Bruce, BTW, just saying) isn't Bruce old, too?! Couldn't a non educated person who has no idea of the brilliance of an album like 2007's Magic say Bruce should have hung it up in 1979?? With her 1st love, Bruce, it is just too similar a situation to U2 to overlook and not question. With her 2nd love, Coldplay, how could she possibly talk shit about U2 being old and irrelevant when Coldplay themselves play Magnificent as they hit the stage, and when U2 is setting attendance records at stadiums the world over, at the same time Coldplay can not get into one??!!!!!!!!

This brings me to a common thread of all the U2 hate I have heard spewed. It is 99% of the time not a particular, honest dislike of the music but rather a dislike that is unexplainable and bordering on maniacal. It is like I said above, something having to do with Bono personally or U2's music that is just not in any way shape or form true. Perfect example is my friend: Bono and the sunglasses(so what?) and the old and washed up card. Both are absolutely batshit crazy criticisms of U2 that do not fit in any way! Same with criticizing the Africa work. Since when is using one's fame, image, energy and money to help others evidence of a God complex or ego mania? 1% of the arguments I have heard have been someone truly not liking any album, any era, etc, and for honest, respectable reasons. Not saying people who know music and honestly appreciate other bands alot more than U2 and dislike them are not out there, but they are in the minority of U2's detractors. There is the odd "true classic rock" fan who truly does not get them musically, and there is the odd member of a band called Negativeland who has reason to dislike them personally, but most of the haters are nuts.

This is getting long, but a few more observations. I agree with the people around my age(22) who say that alot of the peers who dislike U2 honestly do not know that much about them. I run into this alot, I don't start arguments, but if music comes up, I try to naturally work U2 into the conversation and feel out the person. It is the 35 and older crowd who will all start bringing up Gloria, Wide Awake in America and Zooropa much to my excitement, and the 25 and under crowd that will either go deer in headlights or say U2 are really old. Sometimes I get lucky and run into someone my age with more than Vertigo and BD knowledge, and rare times I even hit the jackpot like I did when this gorgeous girl I met told me when U2 came up that she had used "Please" and Love is Blindness" in a school project and loved them!

When I was a senior in High School, Bomb was coming out and among my age group, U2 could do no wrong! They were the undisputed rock gods, and one of my teachers who is a HUGE FAN and Bono look alike, remarked that it felt like 1987 again with U2 being popular at the school! I got to college in Vermont, and talked to alot of people about my upcoming first U2 show in Boston on Vertigo. Almost every single person thought it was awesome that I was going to see them, and my door was being knocked down the morning I got back, kids wanting to know how they were, what they played, etc. I had a friend who was going to MSG in a couple weeks, some classmates on their way to Montreal to see U2, etc. Then, when I arrived back for sophomore yr in fall 2006, it was like someone flipped a switch. All of a sudden, Pearl jam represented all that was right with the world, U2 were old and for our parents, Bono was a rich tax evader(not true) and the Vertigo tour should just be put out of its misery. The attitude has seemingly remained the same since.

I have no explanation for the above. I only buy the overexposure argument to a certain extent. U2 needs to go away and dream it all up again??!! Get the hell out of the media for a while????!!! Didn't they just do that? Very long wait between Bomb and Horizon, Horizon was not as out there as many thought it to be, but listen to it after Bomb and its clear how big a departure it is! Then, when the highly anticipated Horizon dropped, it made a relatively soft landing. Sure, we had some Letterman, promo tour only for fans hard core enough to call into radio multiple times, then nothing until June. Thats not to mention no promotion at all for the Boots single(remember I-Tunes Vertigo?). NLOTH fell softly or not at all on the radio, hardly heard a track at the time. Not to mention how shocked I would be if I heard anything Horizon on traditional format radio at all now, less than a year after release. U2 has just not been everywhere like they were in the mid-late 80s, early 90s and early mid 2000s, that is a fact. Most people I talk to have no idea that U2 is currently touring with this big space ship, and some of these people are admitted fans who I know have respectable levels of U2 knowledge! I think they have been pretty underexposed since about the 3rd leg of Vertigo in 2005.

My best guesses, and they are only guesses as I do not have any real explanation for the uptick in U2 hatred, it baffles me. 1- the tax issue, people think U2 truly are hypocritical tax evaders and this is reinforced by 2- the recession, general mistrust of rich people in the wake of such a big financial meltdown which is reinforced by 3-pampered, upper middle class indie rock kids now see U2 as the filthy rich band that has too much money to make good music anymore. Of course 1 and 3 are bullshit, and 2 is legitimate but needs to be seen as a human nature/greed argument as opposed to something to fear about all rich people. We need the rich, they just need to have their actions regulated and not be given the assumption of rational thought in place of regulation. As for greed, people confuse hunger with greed, U2 has hunger, but not greed. Greed is AIG or Johnnie subprime mortgage lender, hunger is putting out in album like NLOTH and not being satisfied with 30 years of success.

My overall philosophy on these arguments is I never start them and I never let it hurt my relationship with the person, be they a friend, co worker, etc. I look at things like sports, music, etc as very worthy things that are good to be passionate about, but in the end, at least when it comes to arguments, it is entertainment only. Of course, U2 means alot more to me than entertainment, their music and stories and lives have helped me through so much, but when it comes to arguments with others, that's how I view it. No one lost their mother or father or child or their job or went hungry or contracted a terminal illness because the Red Sox lost or because their friend hates U2. There are things that matter, then there are these things, mostly to be taken in jest.

Sorry to ramble, just have not posted in a while and just realized again how addictive it is!!

For U2 it is.

I know that you're overly attached to numbers and charts to prove points, but there are many, many intangibles of popularity that can't be measured in those ways. Bono has as much as said that this album is an underachiever for them.

Well, both of you have a point, and yes, that is possible!!

Of course, the numbers are clear evidence of widespread popularity for U2, despite being at it for 30+ years, despite a major recession, despite the fact that rock is off the top 40 charts, despite the rise of other bands, etc.

As useful and necessary as it is to look at the numbers, which reassuringly tell us U2 is in no trouble at all, it is also right to bring up the intangibles of popularity like you do here.

I just can not recall a time in my life, nor can my aunt(a fan since the 1st paradise show in Boston), nor can any other fan I know, recall a time in their lives that the water cooler talk or the average friend/acquaintance/work small talk was so anti U2. Bono's comments are well taken- some of it has to be the decline in the album in general, even since 2004, but he has a point and we have a point, that something is up.

What bothers me and I am sure alot of other people is we can not figure out what that intangible something is, beyond innuendo and speculation.

U2 have fallen in and out of fashion many times over the years. Now, they're in a down cycle. It happens. If you ask me, it's partly because they collectively, and Bono singularly, have been overexposed for several years now, at least since the release of HTDAAB, and partly because HTDAAB and that tour were so massive, and there's a tendency to want to knock the mighty down a peg or two. After this tour, they need to go away for a year or two, and then come back with something fabulous.

No matter what's going in with U2's popularity, if your friends are saying their music flat out sucks, even if they're not fans, they're not being objective at all.

Btw, during '05 and '06, I had people of all ages (including high school and college students) coming up to me when I'd wear my Vertigo tour shirts, and they'd go on and on about them, saying how they would have killed for tickets, etc. U2 have not gone from fabulous to sucking in 3 years, it's just public perception.

I think Vintage explained it exactly how it is. If you think about it, music business in general is like that: band's (musician's) popularity comes and goes. When you are a die hard fan, you don't necessarily see it that way. And general public (especially college crowd) tends to attach itself to what's hot at the moment. And.. well, we know what the most popular music is at the moment. Ask them in a year or two and they will probably be into some other music.

You like what you like, and that's how it is. Through U2 and their tours <i have met some really cool friends, friends that I can share my passion with. They are people that get it, and that's awesome. However, friends that I have had for 10+ years are absolutely not into U2, not do they understand the need to go and see more that 1 concert every tour. But I don't care - i am not into things they listen to, so... it evens out :D

U2387, you made a great post (actually two) here and I thank you for it. I agree with all that you say, except maybe for the fact that you're identifying a lot of factors in the 2000s that caused people to dislike U2. But in fact, as others have pointed out (and I know you're only 22 years old), there were loud and vocal haters of U2 in their thousands back in the 80s as well.

So, I don't think it's the Africa-thing in particular, the recent recession, or anything specific like that. It's just U2 being U2 that some people don't like.

U2387, you made a great post (actually two) here and I thank you for it. I agree with all that you say, except maybe for the fact that you're identifying a lot of factors in the 2000s that caused people to dislike U2. But in fact, as others have pointed out (and I know you're only 22 years old), there were loud and vocal haters of U2 in their thousands back in the 80s as well.

So, I don't think it's the Africa-thing in particular, the recent recession, or anything specific like that. It's just U2 being U2 that some people don't like.

Thank you very much!

As for pre-2000s reasons for hatred, point well taken, I completely neglected those. I have read that there was alot of U2 criticism going around in the R&H era, but never really looked into it beyond their reaction to perceived excessive "earnestness and egomania" with the satire of ZOO TV. I was thinking of this neglect of pre 2000's hatred throughout my post, but I thought it would be best to leave this kind of commentary to people older than myself :) I say enough about U2 before I knew them well(that is to say, pre 2004) at the risk of being wrong and appearing arrogant already!

I stuck to what I knew well and have experienced in personal interactions(2000's).

As for my "reasons," recession, Africa, etc, I want to reiterate, simply speculation. The surge I and others perceive in dislike of U2, well, it baffles and frustrates me as much as anyone. I truly am with everyone else in not being able to nail down a concrete reason.

Good discussion, glad you started it down this road with the timetable, and I think its a worthwhile thing to discuss here!

Back
Top Bottom